Toucan (Australian) Ink Group Buy?... Gauging Interest

TheGreatRoe

So, I did my first clean up of a pen filled with Toucan ink, and did an initial mix. I'll post updates to my various reviews, but here are some thoughts for those of you thinking about the inks.

After a week of use, I have only two complaints about the inks.

1. They are undersaturated. (Now, I adore retinal searing overly saturated inks, but others complain about the saturation); and
  2. They are subject to surface tension. (I'm not sure what to do about that, and I suspect that surface tension isn't a problem for most people. I live in the desert at a high altitude.)

Now, for the positives, and we have many. (In no particular order).

• Easy Starts / No hard starts on any of the inks I've tried so far. (I hate hard starts and usually don't make it through an entire fill if it's a hard starter).
  • Nice Flow - not exceptionally wet until I mixed in exceptionally wet inks. Not dry, but just right.
  • No clogging. Yes, this goes with the Flow, but it can be different.
  • No nib creep - at all - that was nice.
  • No bleed through or show through (except when I didn't blot the pen after a fresh fill).
  • No fussy behavior. Even the surface tension wasn't enough to really frustrate me.
  • EASY CLEAN UP. These inks did not require a series of flushes and a sonic bath (see my love for super vibrant inks). Two flushes and the inks were gone, the pens were spotless. I didn't see any particles or gunk.
  • No staining on demonstrators (see the ease of clean up).
  • Mixing was super easy. I didn't need a centrifuge and I didn't need to leave it wait for hours to see if I had any strange reactions. The ink mixed with a single shake of the vial and probably would have mixed with a few normal uses of the pen. (BTW, Toucan really needs to provide a mixing chart).
  • Finally, the cost is very competitive if you are in the Australia/NZ area or are part of a group buy.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Cyber6

• Sinistral1

• TheGreatRoe

I want the $65 set of 14 colors.

I'm tempted by larger sizes, but I don't even know if I like them yet, so not a good idea to yield to temptation.

Is there a rough idea of when this would potentially go down? I am interested (would go with the 14 pack) but would depend on how tight I need to be with my wallet at the time.

Based on the interest in this thread, we've started talking to a gentleman with Just Write. I don't have an estimate on when it will go up, but my guess would be sooner rather than later. The way it's looking right now, we'll be opening up the group buy (and accepting payment up front), and closing it when a certain threshold of weight is hit.

Keep in mind, this is all tentative and being worked out.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

What payment methods will be accepted? And who exactly will we be paying? I've never been in on a group buy but would like to be.

Edited by stonezebra

Accepted payment methods and who you will pay is something we haven't worked out yet.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

so weird to read about you guys trying to get something out of Oz here

it is generally us trying hard to get something into Oz, and even if we get it, we will be paying maybe twice as much you guys normally pay

I sent Amber a PM before I knew this thread existed (maybe before it did exist!). Thought I would post here so information could be in one place. I'm in for the complete set of 60ml pouches. I would likely be in for larger sizes if the ink was more saturated but there is a place for less saturated inks and these will be a good compliment to my other inks which tend toward super saturated.

Dave

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

So late replying to this, but I would be in for the set.

Thank you for trying to put this together.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

• 2 weeks later...

At this time we (both the people considering running the group buy, and someone from the JustWrite company) have decided there just isn't enough interest to justify a group buy right now.

At this time we (both the people considering running the group buy, and someone from the JustWrite company) have decided there just isn't enough interest to justify a group buy right now.

Poo.

• 4 weeks later...

North American Group Buy Coordinated by Sinistral1.

Closing date is 5/28/2014

Make your order here.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

North American Group Buy Coordinated by Sinistral1.

Closing date is 5/28/2014

Make your order here.

Thank you so much for putting this together. Placed my order!

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Shipping here in the US will be by USPS Priority Mail from Saint Paul MN to where you want it to go. It will depend on how large your order is, but most likely be a minimum of $6 to $7. I will use the cheapest way, but will have to buy packing tape to ensure the ink ships safely.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Hi all --

I am also an long time lurker, first time poster, but, as my handle indicates - I like INK!

I can't resist the group buy, and will get the full set of colors in the 60 ml size.

Thanks to the ink 'enablers' who worked to put this together.

Jule

OH.... I love being an ink enabler! Thank you.