• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• FarmBoy

• Sasha Royale

• redbike

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

In a pen servicing application, One is a glue and one is a sealant.

Although if used in its woodworking application then one is a sealant and one makes a mess ;)

Paul

Edited by Paul80

Guest Ray Cornett

Has it ever been mentioned what is in the shellac used for sacs? Is it the same as the shellac used for wood finishing?

Yes. You can also order from Kremer Pigments shellac flakes, varying shades, and dissolve it yourself. That way you can guarantee it's freshness. Here's a link:

http://shop.kremerpigments.com/en/mediums--binders-und-glues/solvent-soluble-binders/shellac-orange-60410:.html?xa805b=4a92d7c070e5a7dd2e27483a1b6886c3

Edited by white_lotus

Has it ever been mentioned what is in the shellac used for sacs? Is it the same as the shellac used for wood finishing?

It is. If you're interested, there's a post about it on my blog (link to the blog below). Mix it yourself, or use flakes, it's still shellac with the same basic solvent - denatured alcohol. There are different grades and cuts of shellac, but after a couple of decades of repairing pens I've found (as did Sheaffer) that basic off-the-shelf Zinsser orange shellac works just fine.... and I do still have some of my first pens. Not many, but enough to know that it outlasts the sacs installed. :)

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Yes. One is used as "glue". The other is not. Get them wrong, and there will be "amusing" catastrophe.

You will glue your pen shut. :lticaptd: Or you will leak ink all over your clothes and hands. :lticaptd:

Seriouisly, think "Chapstik vs. Superglue". Now, doesn't that bring a smile to your face ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Oh Lord. Now you've gone and done it Sasha.

How soon Now until someone asks which "Chapstick" makes the best section sealant?

:lticaptd:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Oh Lord. Now you've gone and done it Sasha.

How soon Now until someone asks which "Chapstick" makes the best section sealant?

:lticaptd:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Well, let's see. It's opaque (check), you have it around the house (check), it's slippery (check), easy to apply(check), repels water (does it repel water? maybe check) so it MUST be OK to use, right? Oh, and it's hydroginated something or another. Could be from a yak.

(the preceding was brought to you for humorous illustrative purposes and is not intended to be taken as anything even remotely resembling repair advice)

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Well, let's see. It's opaque (check), you have it around the house (check), it's slippery (check), easy to apply(check), repels water (does it repel water? maybe check) so it MUST be OK to use, right? Oh, and it's hydroginated something or another. Could be from a yak.

(the preceding was brought to you for humorous illustrative purposes and is not intended to be taken as anything even remotely resembling repair advice)

Okay. Serious question. A pen pal is sending me a 50 rupee eyedropper from India. I don't have any silicone grease sealant.

However, I have Chapstik (in four flavors) and (believe it or not) yak butter. How imperative is the grease ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I now specialize in repairing pens that have been restored.

Use the cherry, the other flavors are less pleasing.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

How imperative is the grease ?

Are you using it to seal the threads on the pen? I don't use an eyedropper, but I understand that they do tend to ooze a bit so some kind of sealant would be an advantage. I wouldn't use silicone grease, though some do. Silicone grease is a lubricant and doesn't fill the threads at all. Any "sealing" that you get really is from the hydrophobic properties of the grease. I'd be more inclined to use some of the was from a toilet bowl flange ring or bees wax. It's a bit sticky, spreads evenly, fills the threads a bit and seals reasonably well. I wouldn't use my thread sealant because you want to take the section out regularly to fill the pen, and the rosin based thread sealant is really sticky. I mean really sticky.

Does anyone else remember the Muppet Show episode with Gilda Radner, Beaker and Bunsen and their glue? It feels like that sometimes if you aren't careful.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

Addendum to the post above.....

Note that I'm suggesting this for use in an eyedropper pen where the pen has to be taken apart regularly to be filled, not for use in other applications such as sealing Parker 51s, Sheaffer Triumph nibs, Parker Vacumatic and Sheaffer open nib plunger filler pens etc. In cases like that where the section/nib unit is supposed to stay in place long term, a rosin based thread sealant is the best sealant to use, not a wax or grease.

Some folks will counter "But I want to be able to take my pen apart to clean it." Contrary to popular myth, disassembling a pen to get everything squeaky clean is not a good practice. It can lead to leaks and/or other damage. Most pens were put together to stay together and to be used. That vintage pens can be taken apart to be repaired when needed just happens to be a bonus.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

+1 to Ron.

Even if you don't break something, constantly taking apart your pen to clean it is causing wear to parts that weren't designed for that sort of constant opening, closing etc.

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Guest Ray Cornett

I didn't know most of these replies were here. Useful information and a couple chuckles are good to see when I wake up and check in. Much appreciated. And yes rosin based is super sticky. I really did not expect it to be set so well in just 5-10 minutes after applying. I had an issue with a pen section coming loose easily when I would brainfart and twist the pull cap. So I put in a little of my rosin based sealant and fixed the issue. Only problem is I wasn't thinking ahead. It's a cartidge filler I use a converter in. Don't do pen repair or fixups when you're dead tired. You don't think right. Luckily it's an easy fix.

Edited by Ray Cornett