Still Leaking After A Convertor Change.

fpconverted

In another tooic I posted that my Sheaffer pens just started leaking at the nipple. even with a change of convertor. Here is an example of one of the ''leaky pens''. This is the Sheaffer Intensity. I changed the convertor and reloaded the ink. After I prime the covertor by relaeasing a drop of ink, i closed the cap and placed the pen in my pen box. Today when i opened the pen to write i was hit again with a leak.There was ink on the nib assembly, ink in the cap, and ink when I unscrewed the nib assembly so another leak at the convertor nipple.

On occasion ALL of my Sheaffer pens do leak this way. But the major leaks are always at the nipple/convertor junction. I used to like the brand but I'm afraid this type of issue is not conducive for me especially at work so they may be going into the garbage. I really do not think I will ever buy Sheaffer again. The nipple and convertor does not seem to fit tightly as per my personal experience. In my othr pens where the connection is tight and firm, I've never had issues or problems just only my Sheaffer pens!?

post-106824-0-42007200-1395618541.jpeg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpconverted

• Ron Z

• RedRinger

• bob_hayden

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the converter TIGHT on the nipple?

I had TWO bad converters that would not fit tight onto the nipple.

Could be that both of yours were out of the same bad batch.

Send them back for a refund or replacement.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Guest Ray Cornett

Is it a Sheaffer brand converter? I bought one for my 550 and it was such a perfect fit that when it snapped into place it snapped so hard I thought I broke it or the pen. It's an extremely perfect fit. If you didn't hear/feel it snap into place it might not be all the way on.

Im at work at the moment! But I will post a pic soon. the connection is simply a post thais connected to the pen nib assembly.And the convertor jusplugs into that.

SO here is a picture of the pen barrell unscrewed and open and you can see in the inner grooves where ink has collected. It leaks outside, inside and in/around the nipple area where it joins the convertor. This convertor is a Sheaffer brand convertor and is the second one replaced already.

IMG_20140324_144233.jpg

Given that I've had 2 bad converters...send it back.

When you get a replacement, make sure that it is TIGHT on the nipple, or it will probably leak on you.

Someone said that there was a bad batch of converters out there.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Is there any chance that the nipple is damaged ? Dose the pen leak with cartridges ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Ive checked all of my sheaffer pens and the nipple/nib assembly seems ok. Just a bit of leakeage here and there.I admit tho it does not happen all the time but rather randomly.

Leak=bad nipple or bad convertor.

Put convertor on other Sheaffer pens. Does it leak?

Yes=bad convertor.

No=likely bad nipple.

Cartridge on original pen. Does it leak?

Yes=bad nipple.

No=bad convertor. Results require additional tests to determine bad nipple or bad convertor.

Second convertor on first pen. Does it leak?

Yes=inconclusive, unfortunately, could be bad nipple but could also be bad second convertor.

No=bad original convertor. Problem solved.

Place new convertor on other Sheaffer pens. Does it leak?

Yes=bad second convertor.

No=Original convertor is bad but could so be bad nipple on first pen.

Third convertor on first pen. Does it leak?

Yes=bad pen, insist on replacement. Keep the three convertors, they're probably all good.

No=two bad convertors, problem solved.

Third convertor on other Sheaffer pens. Does it leak?

Yes=You need to send everything back, everything. Stop searching for a Sheaffer, you are cursed. Problem soved, except for the surce.

No=problem solved.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Ive checked all of my sheaffer pens and the nipple/nib assembly seems ok. Just a bit of leakeage here and there.I admit tho it does not happen all the time but rather randomly.

That is a definite symptom of Operator Error.

Have you done the tests suggested to determine the likely part causing the leak?

How do you carry the pen?

Where do you carry the pen?

Do you ever do really silly things like twirl the pen or drum with the pen?

My Website

It may not be the converter at all. With a metal section on the writing unit (as Sheaffer calls it) it's also possible that something is wrong with the writing unit itself. There is a plastic piece inside around the nib and feed. That could be cracked, or there could be a leak between the metal piercing tube and the plastic Impossible to be sure without seeing the pen, and even then there might be some guesswork. Sometimes it's more of a matter of making sure that everything is right VS finding something that is clearly wrong.

If you are the original owner and can prove it (receipt, paperwork etc), you might want to contact Sheaffer service.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I am the original pen owner and user. I refill my pens about once a week as I have quite a few pens in use in my collection. However, like I said I do notice that all of my Sheaffer fountain pens with the nipple assembly do leak on occasion.

I store my pens in a pen box so no bumping around or wierd odd movements and I do find when I open the cap there is ink usually in and on the nib assembly and/or when I unscrew the thing ink also leaking in the grooves and around the convertor. Ive since exchanged and replaced all convertors and they still do leak on occasion.

Its wierd to me as a few Sheaffer long time owners say they never ever had this problem ever and that I find odd because Ive had issues since day one of new ownership. I dont think I will ever purchase Sheaffer pens again.

It is always the convertor, whenever I have a leak problem I set off the cartridge very dirt with ink outside the cartridge and inside the barrel, you should find a convertor that fits really tight in the section, otherway if is unstable, shaking and trembling the problem will still, I use to cannibalize my Jinhaos, they use pretty good slide convertors. Good luck.

I use to cannibalize my Jinhaos

Sheaffer converters are proprietary, and though others might fit, the pens do work best with a Sheaffer converter.

I still think it could be a problem that can be fixed. I have had one or two come through with a piercing tube that slips down into the connector or body of the section, or leaks. They have been fixed. I find it to be a rare problem though.

Contrary to the experience of the OP, I've used Sheaffers for decades, and service a lot of them. Leaks are uncommon. Most of the time when there is a problem it's the converter itself that is the cause of the leak because either the nipple is stretched or the sac fails. Without pictures (clear and sharp) or handling the pen anything we offer is just a guess at best.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Sheaffer converters are proprietary, and though others might fit, the pens do work best with a Sheaffer converter.

I still think it could be a problem that can be fixed. I have had one or two come through with a piercing tube that slips down into the connector or body of the section, or leaks. They have been fixed. I find it to be a rare problem though.

Contrary to the experience of the OP, I've used Sheaffers for decades, and service a lot of them. Leaks are uncommon. Most of the time when there is a problem it's the converter itself that is the cause of the leak because either the nipple is stretched or the sac fails. Without pictures (clear and sharp) or handling the pen anything we offer is just a guess at best.

This is the thing that I am confused about as most people do not have leaks with their Sheaffers and proprietary convertors. However i do notice the replacements do fit much more snug than the ones that are leaking and originally included with pen.

It's possible that the plastic of the converter has cold flowed and/or stretched, so the fit isn't as snug as it should be.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

• 2 weeks later...

Allof these leak despite changing ALL of the convertors!

sheaffer 300 - one black and one chrome

Sheaffer Intensity- chrome-leaks the worst and now in garbage

Sheaffer prelude chrome

The sheaffer intensity has been in an upright position in a pen cup and as i opened the lid to take this pic, again it was leaking.

Ive eben brought all of them in to my pen guy and filled the pen infront of him and my fill technique is good. All of my other fountain pens with a screw in convertor (cross century ii)example, does not leak.

I give up! In the garbage they go!

I work in a fast paced office environment and having stupid fountain pen leaks not only is a disaster on documents but ive also ruined two suits also!

Hate to be a fp snob! Im gonna stick with the higher quality brands with solid convertor build like visconti, sailor, Mont. Ive had it!!!

post-106824-0-40328000-1398351370_thumb.jpg

Edited by fpconverted