j.a.j.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 14:15

Thank you for the pictures!

149 certainly is a rather respectable pen. I bought Jinhao 159 to get some idea of it's size and i do find i like the size a lot when writing.

I would need to get the 149 rhodinated as i prefer chrome / platinum over yellow gold which would make the total cost a bit high. Especially if compared to the cost of Aurora 88 and a couple of huge Indian ebonite eyedroppers.. 

Non notisi signi.

#22 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:00

The current large 88/Optima certainly has a firm nib. The nib on the older version of the same pen - often called the long tines nib - is somewhat softer/springier. I'd say, quality wise, the MB and Aurora are pretty similar with little to choose between them. I happen to think the Aurora is a slightly nicer design. I like the section shape and the way the cap integrates with the rest of the pen, but that's just me. I like the size of the 149 best of all, but don't care for the tail heavy MB balance, which makes the pen a non-starter for me.

Edited by Painterspal, 16 April 2014 - 07:00.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

#23 j.a.j.

j.a.j.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:03

The current large 88/Optima certainly has a firm nib. The nib on the older version of the same pen - often called the long tines nib - is somewhat softer/springier. 

Thank you for the information! 

(I find myself saying that a lot on this thread which is really nice.)

The threads on Aurora 88 are much higher which is good. Overall i think the 88 is a more rational choice for "first a bit more illustrious fountain pen". I am currently in the process of changing my grip, need to wait for my preference of section width to stabilize first. The Jinhao 159 is very top heavy pen and i think i might live with a top heavy pen.

Non notisi signi.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aurora 88

[Sponsored Content]