The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Modern Aurora 88 Large Nib Stifness Vs. Montblanc 146

aurora 88

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 j.a.j.

j.a.j.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2014 - 14:15

Thank you for the pictures!

149 certainly is a rather respectable pen. I bought Jinhao 159 to get some idea of it's size and i do find i like the size a lot when writing.

I would need to get the 149 rhodinated as i prefer chrome / platinum over yellow gold which would make the total cost a bit high. Especially if compared to the cost of Aurora 88 and a couple of huge Indian ebonite eyedroppers.. 

Non notisi signi.

Sponsored Content

#22 Painterspal

Painterspal

Addicted to urushi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:00

The current large 88/Optima certainly has a firm nib. The nib on the older version of the same pen - often called the long tines nib - is somewhat softer/springier. I'd say, quality wise, the MB and Aurora are pretty similar with little to choose between them. I happen to think the Aurora is a slightly nicer design. I like the section shape and the way the cap integrates with the rest of the pen, but that's just me. I like the size of the 149 best of all, but don't care for the tail heavy MB balance, which makes the pen a non-starter for me.

Edited by Painterspal, 16 April 2014 - 07:00.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

#23 j.a.j.

j.a.j.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:03

The current large 88/Optima certainly has a firm nib. The nib on the older version of the same pen - often called the long tines nib - is somewhat softer/springier. 

Thank you for the information! 

(I find myself saying that a lot on this thread which is really nice.)

The threads on Aurora 88 are much higher which is good. Overall i think the 88 is a more rational choice for "first a bit more illustrious fountain pen". I am currently in the process of changing my grip, need to wait for my preference of section width to stabilize first. The Jinhao 159 is very top heavy pen and i think i might live with a top heavy pen.

Non notisi signi.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aurora 88

Sponsored Content

|