The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Dirty Doric Nib Disease

doric wahl eversharp nib

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 20:05

I love this pen although it does not work at the moment and needs a full overhaul. However, the nib itself as beautiful as it is, reminds me of a kid with braces. How the heck do you get it completely clean. I have soaked and wiped but it still has ink in the nooks and crannies of the slider and such.........

Sponsored Content

#2 Pelikan Vera

Pelikan Vera

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:27

put it in a sonicator for 5 minutes......

#3 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:34

put it in a sonicator for 5 minutes......

I am not yet sure how to disassemble them. Is it safe to put the entire pen in? I assume not.........

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 15:06

I am not yet sure how to disassemble them. Is it safe to put the entire pen in? I assume not.........

No it is not safe to submerge the entire pen in water.

Best to keep the nib and feed in the section. I'm not clear what the exact issue is without a picture but try scrubbing with a stiff brush and a little soapy water.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 LBpens

LBpens

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 15:20

Not looking for a debate but I have submerged perhaps a thousand pens in water and ultrasound for a short time. Works wonders. If there was a danger I never experienced it, except for the time I forgot a pen and let it soak for days. It largely disintegrated. There are a few pens you shouldn't ultrasound, but that's not one of them. You could pull the section and just do the section, nib and feed, but frankly, I wouldn't even risk that on an often fragile Doric. Of course, you could always hold it in to the section for five minutes. Actually a decent ultrasound unit will probably do what you want in one minute.

Save the Wahls!

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 16:01

Not looking for a debate but I have submerged perhaps a thousand pens in water and ultrasound for a short time. Works wonders. ...

Glad you have had good luck. I'm usually working on someone else's pen so I tend to avoid the full body aqua-spa treatment. In my experience it can corrode the metal internals. I know I'm a rebel, I also avoid flame and super glue.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: doric, wahl, eversharp, nib

Sponsored Content

|