The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help Me Identify These Pens Please. Newbie Here!

identify pen waterman cross

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 submethod

submethod

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:12

Hey there,

Totally new here so please excuse me if I already broke a rule!

I was cleaning out my attic the other day and found a few pens that appear to be pretty old. Can anyone help me identify them and possibly their worth. They are very nice and hardly used. I want to start using them. One is Waterman the other a Cross. There are a few more and I will post them later. I know we got a hold of the Waterman back in 1992, the cross might be older.

PhotoMar2090055PM_zps30e7a19c.jpg

PhotoMar2090103PM_zps500c57b2.jpg

PhotoMar2090121PM_zps9093c700.jpg

PhotoMar2090200PM_zps466c8fb6.jpg

PhotoMar2090315PM_zpsc4e75f62.jpg

PhotoMar2090332PM_zps13ca0266.jpg

PhotoMar2090259PM_zpsfb284f1c.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Betweenthelines

Betweenthelines

The road goes ever on and on..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:38

I believe the Waterman is a Waterman Laureat.  Not sure about the Cross, but wow is it sexy!   :drool:

#3 Betweenthelines

Betweenthelines

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:42

On second thought, I think I'm wrong, judging by the ring style on the Waterman.  Don't worry - others on this board will inform you shortly.  I will say with confidence though - VERY nice finds!  

#4 Betweenthelines

Betweenthelines

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:55

OK - third tries a charm.

From this helpful pdf: http://www.artcurial...f/2010/1876.pdf

I would guess your Waterman is either a Man 100, Man 200, or Man 100 Opera.

#5 submethod

submethod

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:55

Thank you so much! I know I have more stored away here. Monteblancs and such. Just have to keep digging.

#6 submethod

submethod

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:57

Man 100? Hmmm...I think that's what it says on the one end of the box.

#7 Betweenthelines

Betweenthelines

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:59

Oh.. Ha!  I didn't even notice that on the sticker.  Don't think I was meant to be a detective.. or maybe it's the wine!  Yes I'd say it's a Man 100 ;)

#8 submethod

submethod

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:05

So I am not very good with this sort of thing. Does it matter that it is from the early 90s? Are they still made? Is it worth anything? I would love to use it but dont want to ruin it.

Thanks again!

#9 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:06

The Cross pen appears to be a Townsend with a steel nib. I own a few Townsends and find them extremely pleasant to write with. Congratulations on your pen find. If you're beginning this effort at digging up the past with a Man 100 and a Townsend, we look forward to even more good news.

#10 ArtsNibs

ArtsNibs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,056 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:21

So I am not very good with this sort of thing. Does it matter that it is from the early 90s? Are they still made? Is it worth anything? I would love to use it but dont want to ruin it.
Thanks again!

I'll tell you what, I'll give you what it says on the waterman price label :). The Townsend is worth approx 1/3-1/4 the value of the waterman.
@arts_nibs

#11 submethod

submethod

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:22

@lahlahlaw - LOL Just that comment alone lends me to believe it's worth more than that.

@Jerome - Sweet. I love the look of the Cross!

#12 AndrewC

AndrewC

user

• Member - Gold

• 876 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:23

Waterman Man 100 Extra Fine nib (EF) as per side of box. Cross Townsend, Medium nib (M) Chrome finish.

Funny thing is Standard Brands used to be paint and home decorating stores in Southern California in the 60's. 

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

#13 europen

europen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:24

submethod,

you will not ruin it by using it. A Man (they are called actually Le Man) from '91 is as functional now as it was then. (I have one from the same era -- I think '89 or '90, and I still use it.) Just put ink in it (cartridge or converter) and it will write. As far as its worth, if you choose to sell it you will probably be successful, though I have not priced a Le Man lately; I doubt you'll get more than a hundred for it. I wouldn't sell it; the nib is the Waterman Ideal and worth more than the pen itself. A splendid writer.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

#14 europen

europen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:27

on second looking, submethod, at the link posted by Betweenthelines, the Man (there it is called simply Man) is being offered for about 600 euros. Perhaps it is more collectible than I thought.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

#15 submethod

submethod

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:52

Thank you so much for the input gang. I do not plan to sell at the moment because they are sentimental to me. I know I have a few more boxes and I will showcase what I find. I personally do not collect pens. I collect artwork. Then again, these pens have peek my interest a little. What I do know I have is a Montblanc somewhere in here that is a 1991 Meisterstuck fountain pen. It was super fat and was cumbersome to hold. If I find it, Ill post it.

600 Euros? Wow, that's almost 1200 USD!

#16 esteroids

esteroids

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:57

I'm almost certain the Waterman is a Le Man 100. There's a chance it's a Man 200.  With some nib versions it's hard to tell without seeing the feed or cap button.  See this wonderful site.  The quick way to tell is that the Man 1 has a finned feed and the Man 2 a smooth one.  Le Man 200 is about 10% smaller in all dimensions.

The gloss black is the basic version.  You can check ebay sold prices, or a couple of the more elaborate versions sold recently here on FPN.

#17 submethod

submethod

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:29

I think its a Waterman 200. Based on the pics off the site you referred esteroids.

http://pennibink.wee...-en-images.html

The 100s nib is a touch different with a circle right at the end of the nib. Mine does not have that.

#18 esteroids

esteroids

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:34

There were several cosmetic variations on the nibs.  Go by the feed style - finned or smooth

#19 submethod

submethod

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:35

Here is another one we found. The cap has the title IMPERIAL

The Nib says "Warranted 14K No.4"

PhotoMar20112626PM_zpsc3218bdb.jpg

PhotoMar20112607PM_zps8f29b80a.jpg

PhotoMar20112637PM_zps2a3efbb4.jpg

#20 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:41

Someone had very good taste in pens.

€600=$900 + or -

The Cross could be NOS...New Old Stock....never used old pen....if it's not been inked. The seal and stuff like that jack the price.

Yes a MB 149 is a Oversized pen; that you have to grow into.

An Warranted  nib can be a nib with some flex,,,or not. It just means it is 14 K nib...I don't know the brand Imperial...It is probably a 'third tier' pen.....off the top of my head, late '30's or just after the war was over.....A very pretty pen.

About the Imperial. Some pen companies made sub brands...some made pens for others. Some were just small companies.

Wearever was once the largest pen company in the world....made some good second tier pens in it's own brand...third tier too for them selves and others ...and made many pens for any company or store that wanted them. That pen is a piece of Art Work.

It is so old it will need a new Rubber Sac....a good rubber sac only lasted 30-40-60 years.

I had an Esterbrook I could date, whose sac lasted 62 years.

Getting a new sac put in is relatively cheap...and the pen deserves to be 'restored' for use.

I just bring that up in Wearever made many pens with out their name on it....On second thought it don't quite look like the Wearevers I had.

Some one with more knowledge; might be able to name that pen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 21 March 2014 - 09:41.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: identify, pen, waterman, cross

Sponsored Content

|