Lanep

Hi everyone,

About a week ago I found an abandoned fountain pen in my drawer. I decided I'll try and make it work, since it always had a problem which I could never fix.

The problem is that the ink seems to be leaking, but I don't know where from. I tried cleaning it, I soaked it the entire day in lukewarm water to clean its system from ink, then I filled a cartridge with water to test if it leaks. The water obviously has different characteristics than ink, so it seemed not to leak then (or I didn't notice it, since it's water).

After that I put a usual ink cartridge in it to see if it still leaks. Well, it leaked. I took some photos of it so you can see how it leaks, if it's any use. I can't find the source of the leakage, it's not where the cartridge is, so it must be somewhere near the nib. Is there a possibility it cracked somewhere? When I leave it standing with its cap on, and when I open it the second day, it's mysteriously covered in ink like in the photo. It writes normally (not too thick), but a bit light because of the water experiment.

Can I fix this anyhow?

Thank you :)

Here are the photos:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lanep

• DavidsonChua

• kevanf1

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried it with water while writing? Could your writing be so strong that you're flicking ink out of the pen?

I tried with water, and it was fine. I definitely don't write that strong, especially with this pen since it scratches off the paper if I press a little harder. I write really gentle with it.

I tried with water, and it was fine. I definitely don't write that strong, especially with this pen since it scratches off the paper if I press a little harder. I write really gentle with it.

Hmm... Do you leave your pen capped for a while before noticing the leak?

Hmm... Do you leave your pen capped for a while before noticing the leak?

Yes, it's like it leaks only when capped. I tried cleaning the inside of the cap, but then it leaks in it again.

Ah, I believe the problem is the ink dripping out of your nib into your cap. Perhaps someone more skilled in theory regarding fountain pens can help identify the problem with your nib.

EDIT: Could your feed be separated from your nib? Can you post a picture with greater detail nearer the feed?

Edited by DavidsonChua

• 1 month later...

Is that a metal bodied pen? I'm wondering if it is heating up inside from your body heat (hands). This is then 'perhaps' making the air inside the pen expand and force the ink out? This may be a rubbish theory, I don't know but I got it from the idea of using a size smaller sac in lever filling pens. The idea there being that by using a standard size a similar phenomenon may occur.

It is merely an idea :)