Writers Edition Nibs

Z-Tab

I apologize if this has been discussed before, I tried to search through the old threads about WE pens.

In every thread about the Writers Edition pens, people talk about how one edition or another has a particularly smooth or soft or springy nib, but I can't find any details on differences between the WE nibs themselves apart from the designs on them.

Are the nibs different in a way that would be consistent throughout any given edition (e.g. all properly tuned Poe nibs have X quality)? How much is dependent on the person using the pen? How do they compare to the 146es produced in their year?

I would really appreciate any thoughts on WE nibs and the comparative differences between them.

Of course, every time I see a WE praised, I think about adding one to my roster. I'm just trying to get a better sense of how they perform.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• Chrissy

• Z-Tab

• mongrelnomad

I don't believe so. Some people say they notice a difference between nibs, but considering they are all hand tuned, you will feel differences.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

All my WE nibs came to me just fine, but I hand-tune all my nibs anyway, so their original states don't matter all that much to me as long as they're properly aligned. I can't think if a reason why quality should vary across editions. There will always be the occasional lemon but it won't be across the board.

Check out my blog and my pens

I can't say I've noticed and difference in nib quality although "WE" are broadly based on the 146 the slight weight differences might have an impact also the small width and length variations effecting grip balance if only used to the 146.I have only got 2 WE editions John lennon being my newest the nib is perfect for me.

Yes the WE nibs are based on the 146 size, but they all differ slightly. As each nib is hand made and hand finished, you would do well to get two that were identical in every way. They all have slight variations that are due to their artisan nature.

Yes the WE nibs are based on the 146 size, but they all differ slightly. As each nib is hand made and hand finished, you would do well to get two that were identical in every way. They all have slight variations that are due to their artisan nature.

+1

I would add that the quality of the nibs on every WE I've owned has been just great. I've never had them altered and would never want to.

Thanks for your replies so far!

It sounds like the major variations come from the weight, balance, and size of the different WE pens, with nib variation being a matter of the hand finishing and not any inherent quality.

Do the Hemingway and Dumas have larger nibs, being modeled after the 139?

It sounds like the major variations come from the weight, balance, and size of the different WE pens, with nib variation being a matter of the hand finishing and not any inherent quality.

They have the divine number 9!

+1

I would add that the quality of the nibs on every WE I've owned has been just great. I've never had them altered and would never want to.

+1

The nibs on the Proust, Schiller, Dickens and Fitzgerald which are all sequentially released have quite a soft feel to them. The Poe and the Voltaire which were the two released before these are a lot more wetter. The Verne which came after them seems to have quite a hard nib in comparison.

They are all very similar, all of good quality but as people have said they are hand made so there will be differences.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Yes they have larger nibs like the 149 pen

Every WE nib I have is slightly different; every MB nib I have is slightly different.

Too many pens; too little writing.

I would add that I would probably not buy a second hand WE that had its nib altered. The exception would be if I had documentation that it was done by John Mottishaw.