The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Writers Edition Nibs

writers edition nibs montblanc

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Z-Tab

Z-Tab

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:02

I apologize if this has been discussed before, I tried to search through the old threads about WE pens.

In every thread about the Writers Edition pens, people talk about how one edition or another has a particularly smooth or soft or springy nib, but I can't find any details on differences between the WE nibs themselves apart from the designs on them. 

Are the nibs different in a way that would be consistent throughout any given edition (e.g. all properly tuned Poe nibs have X quality)? How much is dependent on the person using the pen? How do they compare to the 146es produced in their year?

I would really appreciate any thoughts on WE nibs and the comparative differences between them.

Of course, every time I see a WE praised, I think about adding one to my roster. I'm just trying to get a better sense of how they perform.

Sponsored Content

#2 isaacrn

isaacrn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:59

I don't believe so.  Some people say they notice a difference between nibs, but considering they are all hand tuned, you will feel differences.  

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

Posted Image

#3 penmanila

penmanila

Vacumaniac

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:40

All my WE nibs came to me just fine, but I hand-tune all my nibs anyway, so their original states don't matter all that much to me as long as they're properly aligned. I can't think if a reason why quality should vary across editions. There will always be the occasional lemon but it won't be across the board.

Check out my blog and my pens

#4 littlepen

littlepen

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:53

I can't say I've noticed and difference in nib quality although "WE" are broadly based on the 146 the slight weight differences might have an impact also the small width and length variations effecting grip balance if only used to the 146.I have only got 2 WE editions John lennon being my newest the nib is perfect for me.

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:53

Yes the WE nibs are based on the 146 size, but they all differ slightly. As each nib is hand made and hand finished, you would do well to get two that were identical in every way. They all have slight variations that are due to their artisan nature.

#6 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 13:21

Yes the WE nibs are based on the 146 size, but they all differ slightly. As each nib is hand made and hand finished, you would do well to get two that were identical in every way. They all have slight variations that are due to their artisan nature.

+1

I would add that the quality of the nibs on every WE I've owned has been just great.   I've never had them altered and would never want to.   

#7 Z-Tab

Z-Tab

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 14:50

Thanks for your replies so far!

It sounds like the major variations come from the weight, balance, and size of the different WE pens, with nib variation being a matter of the hand finishing and not any inherent quality.

Do the Hemingway and Dumas have larger nibs, being modeled after the 139?

#8 Eugen-of-Savoy

Eugen-of-Savoy

Numero Uno is Back !

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 15:46

It sounds like the major variations come from the weight, balance, and size of the different WE pens, with nib variation being a matter of the hand finishing and not any inherent quality.

They have the divine number 9!

#9 BrandonA

BrandonA

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 15:49

+1

I would add that the quality of the nibs on every WE I've owned has been just great.   I've never had them altered and would never want to.   

+1

The nibs on the Proust, Schiller, Dickens and Fitzgerald which are all sequentially released have quite a soft feel to them.  The Poe and the Voltaire which were the two released before these are a lot more wetter.  The Verne which came after them seems to have quite a hard nib in comparison.

They are all very similar, all of good quality but as people have said they are hand made so there will be differences.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

#10 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 14:32

Yes they have larger nibs like the 149 pen

#11 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:09

Every WE nib I have is slightly different; every MB nib I have is slightly different.

Too many pens; too little writing.

#12 jaypen

jaypen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 19:27

Every WE nib I have is slightly different; every MB nib I have is slightly different.

Very true

#13 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 March 2014 - 00:24

I would add that I would probably not buy a second hand WE that had its nib altered.  The exception would be if I had documentation that it was done by John Mottishaw.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: writers edition, nibs, montblanc

Sponsored Content

|