What Pen And Ink Would You Recommend For Writing A Dissertation (/thesis) ?

CharlieTurtle

The art of physically putting pen to paper has a strong subconscious effect when learning, it actually helps details sink in. I take notes at work while being surrounded by computers and colleagues updating minutes on laptops. The hand with pen usually writes the most key elements, whilst typing captures everything.

Just saying.

:-)

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the pig

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieTurtle

• fljones3

• ac12

• hypnostene

I would recommend a Pelikan M200 too, they are beautiful little pens, a good size, the section 'lip' makes for a nice grip over long periods. You should have no problem writing a 10k word dissertation with one. (I think you are making a good move in drafting by hand, I get a lot of disso's and other assignments to mark which have clearly never been drafted, just mind dumped on to word!)

For paper I am using Clarefontaine seyes lined paper, it's very high quality and the seyes allow you to use them as you wish with custom spaces between them for notes and amendments as you write. It will depend on your handwriting size. I ordered the A5 by mistake and have learned to love it while writing my PhD thesis. I can post you some sheets to try if you PM me an address :)

For ink, I would go for something regular and not too distracting, MB Royal Blue would be my first choice. You can have fun with your Nexx for mark up and edits though! I like red for markup of my own drafts; Diamine Oxblood and Sheaffer Scrip Red recently, MB Winterglow Red previously.

Totally missed this post when I was scrolling through (oops). I already have some Skrip Red for edits, thank you for reminding me and preventing me wasting money on another red... I'm considering the greeny coloured pelikan, might look nice and fit the maritime theme. Classy enough to be long lasting, too, which was sort of my worry with the TWSBI - it looks like a syringe, not something I want to own for a long, long time.

The art of physically putting pen to paper has a strong subconscious effect when learning, it actually helps details sink in. I take notes at work while being surrounded by computers and colleagues updating minutes on laptops. The hand with pen usually writes the most key elements, whilst typing captures everything.

Just saying.

I much prefer to take notes by hand in lectures and stuff, simply because I find that having to think how to write it helps me to avoid just spouting the professor's words back at them in essays!

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

Just saying.

I agree with your for note-taking. The thesis, on the other hand, is supposed to be rather comprehensive - and as you point out, typing might be better suited to that task.

I've written both ways: Master's thesis (longhand) before computers were common, and a dissertation (err, as we call it here in the US, which means a PhD diss) with computer. I'll take the computer any day for that work. Ditto for the journal articles I have written, many of which are about the length of the OP's thesis.

But, if there is one rule of thumb, it is that these sorts of projects usually take longer than anticipated. If the OP wants to slow herself down with a pen and paper, hey, that might be more sensible than the ways in which I slowed myself down. (Shooting pool, drinking, getting married. Well, actually, two of those were sensible.)

Edited by Koyote

But, if there is one rule of thumb, it is that these sorts of projects usually take longer than anticipated. If the OP wants to slow herself down with a pen and paper, hey, that might be more sensible than the ways in which I slowed myself down. (Shooting pool, drinking, getting married. Well, actually, two of those were sensible.)

Very true. I treated my second master's like a hobby, so instead of using a computer I meticulously prepared stacks and stacks of index cards for my source analysis. Needless to say, little work was done before I gave up and finally typed these in. And for my dissertation, no index cards were used.

[...]

I read married as naked. I have no idea why. I thought it was a recklessly honest answer.

I draft longer passages (anything that is 1000+ words) by hand because it forces me to edit very harshly, smaller sections I will fill in on the computer. It probably does double the length of time taken to write them but it is my process. It's interesting to hear other people's too :)

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

About your Safari. Get a piece of sandpaper and sand the flats of the Safari perpendicular to the line of the pen. This will roughen the grip so your fingers will not slide. I did this to my Parker 45 in college, as it slipped even worse than your Safari. The P45 had a tapering section, and my sweaty oily fingers would constantly slip down the section towards the nib.

To me, a Lamy 2000 is a FAT pen. If you have small hands (like me), you may not like it. After many months of trying to like mine, I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that I cannot write comfortably with it. It is about 1 or 2mm larger than is comfortable for me to hold. And it weighs about 25g empty.

I have tried a few TWSBI pens and I similarly find them FAT as well.

Depends on how small your hands are, you might consider these pens:

• Parker Classic or 180 (cartridge/converter pen) Long out of production so you have to buy used.
    This is a slimline pen, barrel is 9.5mm diameter.
    The nib are user replaceable, however the 180 nibs are a bit hard to find.
  • Lamy cp1 (cartridge/converter pen) This is a current production pen, so should be easy to find.
    This is a slimline pen, barrel is 9.6mm diameter.
    It uses the same nibs as the Safari.
  • Lamy pur (cartridge/converter pen) This is a current production pen, so should be easy to find.
    This pen is larger than the cp1 at 11.2mm barrel diameter.
    It uses the same nibs as the Safari.
  • Parker 75 (cartridge/converter pen), long out of production so you have to buy used.
  • Esterbrook LJ (lever fill pen), long out of production so you have to buy used.
    The nibs are easily changed, by unscrewing the nib assembly and screwing in a different nib. However, the wide nibs seem to be harder to find.
  • Sheaffer Snorkel or Touchdown (pnumatic fill pen), long out of production so you have to buy used.
    For all practical purposes, the nib is fixed and cannot be replaced.
  • Parker 51 (aerometric or vacum fill), long out of production so you have to buy used.
    For ease of use and maintenance, I prefer the aerometric version.
    A major issue is the nib size is not marked on the pen, and unless the seller knows his pens, he is unlikely to know the size of the nib.
    And as was said, you need to send the pen to a pen tech to replace the nib.

As you can see, I am more familiar with the older pens than current model pens.

I used a Parker 180 and 75 in college, and I wrote a LOT with those pens. I would not hesitate to write a LONG document with either pen, as long as I pair them with the right ink and paper.

For nib size comparison, the old Parker nibs are smaller than the Lamy nibs. My Lamy F nib is about the size of my old Parker M nib.

My Esterbrook and Sheaffer nibs are similar to the Parker, smaller than the similar marked Lamy nibs.

This is the pen side.

For the writing, I personally would write a dissertation/thesis on the computer. You might work on the basic outline and initial thoughts on paper, but I agree with Koyote and would get it onto the computer ASAP. Having done MANY MANY papers in college on a typewriter, I know firsthand what a PIA it is to do major rework the old fashioned way....you throw it in the trash can and start all over. I would have killed for a word processor.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'd say outline it notebooks with a nice pen and write on a computer.

Also for references and making footnotes you should look into Mendeley. Its a really useful free program that can auto cite most journal type pdfs and can insert the necessary citation in Microsoft word. I recently used it for a term paper and it was one of the most painless citation processes i've ever had. You can also read and annotate your pdfs within the program.

maybe it's that i'm from a more hard-science and comp-sci background myself, but i'm having to agree with Koyote; i'd never write anything like a thesis by hand unless i had no computer.

in fact, coming from a comp sci background, if i had to write a thesis i'd likely write it in plain UTF-8 text, typeset it with LaTeX, do the references with BibTeX, and version control the drafts in order to track changes. but that's just me, i'm simply THAT big of an egghead.

not to say handwriting would not have its place in the process; for outlining, brainstorming, note taking, and perhaps revision so as to get a different perspective on the text, i might write first drafts or next-to-last drafts by hand. however, i certainly can't see myself ever submitting a handwritten copy as the final draft; that's for offset-quality typesetting.

The Tombow object might not be a bad idea. It is an aluminium barrel with a plastic grip section and you can buy a range of nib units for it. It is a relatively light pen.

The Italix Parson's is also a good shout, but it is heavier. You don't have to buy a black one - there are amber and blue pens there too.

You can use a converter or short/long international cartridges with both pens.

As for inks, I suggest Waterman's Inspired Blue (formerly knows as South Seas Blue) if you want a turquoise ink.

So, I have two big events coming up:

1. On 23rd March (in a week) I turn 21
  2. In September, I start my dissertation (/thesis, I think Americans call it?)

Said dissertation is a 10,000 word piece of writing - in my case, the subject is maritime history. I'd love to hand write this, at least before I type it up, because I find that's the best way for me to work.

I'm going to buy some ivory a4 paper to keep in a ring binder (suggestions for paper would be awesome too, come to think of it), but what pen and ink should I use?

I love my Safaris but the grip section can get a little slippy if my hand is sweaty. I adore my Nexx but I'd like this pen to be a 21st birthday present to myself and a Nexx just doesn't cut it.

And what ink? I mean, my first thought is blue or turquoise (sea colours) but any other ideas?

For the pen, my ''wish list'' is:

1. Light pen - though not so light it's fragile
  2. Medium nib or 1.1mm italic available
  3. Around £50-100
  4. Preferably with a convertor or piston-fill (or vac fill)
  5. Preferably not black. I don't know, I'm just not a fan of black pens.
  6. Not too big - tiny hands. I'm only 5"3 and even then my hands are small for my size.
  7. Ideally available easily - Goulet's, thewritingdesk, cult pens, amazon type easy.

There are NO pen stores near me, before you suggest that - I have looked!

Thanks,

Charlie

Dear Charlie,

If you are writing a thesis, I think you should buy a lot of pencils with big erasers because you are going to do an awful lot of erasing before the grad committee signs off on your magnum opus.

And frankly, since you want to write longhand, you should investigate a research notebook which makes a carbon copy of each page you write, so that you have a backup copy in case anything happens to the orignal.

Good luck with your thesis and intended career.

Joe

Efficiency (using a computer) does not translate to better quality. Use what is more comfortable for yourself.

Pelikan m200 is a classy polished pen that will keep you satisfied for a long time.

I used to believe in loose leaf and 3 ring binders, but have since converted to spiral bound notebooks with good paper and perforations and 3 holes for binding if necessary.

For academic writing I tend to prefer the computer, as it saves time, but for passages that require creative thinking fp/paper were effective.

The Pilot 92 is a demonstrator pen that is a little smaller at the section than the Twsbi, which I found too heavy and masculine for my petite hands. Check ebay for some Japanese sellers.

Small hand, lots of writing = Kaweco Classic Sport. I am writing a ton with mine, and I am very happy. It took me three pens, but number 3 is the best nibs I've ever used. The first 2 were fine, but number 3…perfection.

Uses cartridges, which won't work for a long project: too expensive. So I refill the carts from a 100 ml bottle with a syringe. Takes 4 seconds. A glue gun can make a perfect bead to close a home-filled cart, but be careful.

Ink is tough. I use one ink exclusively but it isn't at all permanent in any way. But I think you can find a good solid blue (if you like blue) that would work. You don't want to grow bored with the ink, you want it to last. Go to Goulet Swab Shop and compare inks like a madman. Order asample or six. The settle in and start writing.

Dear Charlie,

If you are writing a thesis, I think you should buy a lot of pencils with big erasers because you are going to do an awful lot of erasing before the grad committee signs off on your magnum opus.

And frankly, since you want to write longhand, you should investigate a research notebook which makes a carbon copy of each page you write, so that you have a backup copy in case anything happens to the orignal.

Good luck with your thesis and intended career.

Joe

Pencils aren't such a great 21st gift though :P And I hate hate hate those books, had to use them before and ended up covered in a rash. Fun times!

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

I would also recommend a computer for most heavy duty writing tasks and keeping track of notes. Writing notes and notecards by hand is a lot more fun,

but if not curbed, it can become a distraction and difficult to find what you're looking for at a moment's notice.

You know what? If I'd wanted to write it by computer, I WOULD WRITE IT BY COMPUTER. I asked for a pen recommendation.

You know what? If I'd wanted to write it by computer, I WOULD WRITE IT BY COMPUTER. I asked for a pen recommendation.

Another recommendation for Pelikan 2xx series.