Lamy 2000 Cosmetic Issue?

dragos.mocanu

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else noticed some strange marks in the Makrolon, beneath the ink window, where the cap lip sits when the pen is closed. I'm talking about 2 parallel lines that run about half of the circumference of the pen, which look like they are inside the plastic (like too much stress inside the Makrolon caused it to fracture on the inside). It doesn't look like a crack, it kind of looks like there's a second ink window beneath the real one for half of the circumference.

Thanks,

Dragos

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dragos.mocanu

• Koyote

• a m a r g o

• Tombstone

Photo would help us understand.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

http://imageshack.com/a/img703/6593/s04q.jpg

As per request, I tried to nail a proper angle in which to point out the lines I was talking about. Hope it's clear enough :-s

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

I had a 2000 for a year and never saw this develop. As I look at the photo it looks like wear marks. Do you ever twist the cap while it's on? That may cause wear marks consistent with the location of these rings.

But if it isn't wear markings, then you ought to send it to Lamy for inspection and possible replacement.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

I checked my Lamy 2000 a few minutes ago under a strong light and magnification - - it doesn't have the marks you've photographed.

Edited by RobertS

I just checked mine and do not find the two circular lines running around the section.

I had a 2000 for a year and never saw this develop. As I look at the photo it looks like wear marks. Do you ever twist the cap while it's on? That may cause wear marks consistent with the location of these rings.

But if it isn't wear markings, then you ought to send it to Lamy for inspection and possible replacement.

This is very curious, because those marks developed in about a week after the moment I received it. I never twist the caps of my pens when capping or uncapping (except for my twist caps of course)...and those aren't wear marks! If I look at the surface of the pen tangentially to that area, I can see absolutely no blemish, scratch, gouge etc, which makes me think that the marks are inside the plastic. I will contact Lamy regarding this issue, I wonder if they ever encountered this.

Edited by dragos.mocanu

It's the cap moving little around the body of the pen like a bell... This happens even on pens with screw caps on. Make sure your inner parts of the cap aren't loose and properly seated to the very end of the cap.

It's present on one of my 2000's, but in a very old one... Almost eight years being used very day.

I took my 2000 and turned it a couple of times and ended with the same lines - and I used a little brush that I also use for the steel part, and the lines were gone...

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

If the pen writes well, I probably wouldn't worry about it. It's probably cosmetic, and barely noticeable at that.

But that's just me.