Pelikan 400? Great Pen For Everyday Writing

dare_nova

After a few months of regular use I can honestly say that Pelikan 400 is a great pen. It has never failed since It appeared on my doorstep. Now I have three of them in my flock (EF, F and OM nibs):

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll125/Arieln_photo/Pelikan_400.jpg

By the way, 450 pencil is also as great as the fountain pen itself. Balance and overall quality are on really good level.

How about you? Do you use your 400 as a daily carry pen?

Edited by dare_nova

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clancy

• Pelikan Vera

• sargetalon

• E8x8

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to convince me about Pelikan. LOL

I am a converted fan of Pelikan fountain pens for a while now and specially lately after they repaired my M800 completely free of charge which was dropped on the desk and floor here in the office.

Although I use daily the M800 I also use a vintage 400 fountain pen, with a vintage 400 NN EF nib. I also use a M200 with a M400 nib which is just fantastic.

Kind regards,

Rui

Try the 200's nibs...true regular flex....some passed through my hands trans-mailing, impressed me. As good a my '90's nibs...or my 120.

A bit narrower too in size from my reading.

I have a 500 (fancy 400) 400n, 400nn (Green stripped), and '90's M400. The rest tortoise.

All are everyday....if I want.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

These along with the M2XX series (same size) are my favorites.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Yes indeed.....another M400 fan here. I had the F nib on my 405, custom ground my Pendelton Brown to an exquisite italic stub. Of my three Pelikans, this one is the one that is perpetually inked and in daily us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

I'm a recent convert. Thought I was a Parker girl through and through. But I got a 400 brown tortoise on Ebay a couple of months ago, and it's giving even my Plum 51 a run for its money in the "ooh-wow" department.

Maybe it's the bit of flex I'm getting with the nib... the 51, for all its joys, has a nail for a nib. Although it does appear to be a medium....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My daily carry pen is m600 with a bicolor F nib and I always keep my 400NN with a monotone KF nib and 450 pencil at my desk.

My first Souverän M400 arrived this morning, I bid on it expecting the price to soar but ended up the only bidder, I worried it was too good to be true as the pen is around a year old and I got it for less than half the price of a new one but I now have it in my hands and already love it :D

Edited by andymcc

I don't have a vintage 400 yet, but my Tortoise 400NN and 450 are daily carries ever since I bought them this past summer. The 400NN is a great size pen. I would like to get a few with oblique nibs and also one in the green and black striped versions.

Someday I may have a 400 of some sort......

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

After a few months of regular use I can honestly say that Pelikan 400 is a great pen. It has never failed since It appeared on my doorstep. Now I have three of them in my flock (EF, F and OM nibs):

By the way, 450 pencil is also as great as the fountain pen itself. Balance and overall quality are on really good level.

How about you? Do you use your 400 as a daily carry pen?

Could you post a writing sample with the oblique medium nib?

More specifically, could anyone post comparative writing sample with a plain M nib and an Oblique M nib? I have a 140 with an M nib and am curious if the Obliques give a different 'slant' (pardon the pun) to the writing.