• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• ImperialJoe

• ac12

• Lou Erickson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to be clear about the metropolitan - does it mean that I won't be as to use small cartridges? I mean they seem physicly compatible...

I just checked with my metropolitan, the seal is completely incompatible with an international cartridge I'm afraid. It does come with a converter and cartridge though, so it should be easy to refill.

If not, then the kaweco sport or pelikano are both nice cheap pens that take international carts.

Edited by 5370H55V

I think that I'll just squeeze out the ink from the international cartdridges into a container and then into the converter.

Metropolitan it is. Thank you very much for the help!

Edited by ImperialJoe

Buy the Pilot Metropolitan and the Pilot 78g with a fine nib. Swap the nibs.

Glenn

If the 78g is black you can swap the sections instead, and that is easier and quicker. (I mean, you can always swap the sections but it would look weird with a green one.)

The Metropolitan won't take anything but Pilot cartridges or a Pilot converter. It comes with a converter.

Personally, I don't see that as a problem, as I don't care about cartridges - they're an expensive source of limited colors.

If you REALLY want an MR, amazon.co.uk has them, but they're expensive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilot-Round-Nib-Fountain-Pen/dp/B00GOVUBT4/ref=sr_1_2

At 20 GPB (about $34) it's no longer a very inexpensive pen, and you could have several others. Other choices already in the thread might make more sense.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

As for me, I don't like Parker IM. It is unreliable. But looks good. Parker Frontier now is often made in India, what is unreliable as well.

I agree that Pilot is good choice. You can search for Sailor Junior Profit. It can be a little bit more expensive bit it is food writer.

As for me, I don't like Parker IM. It is unreliable. But looks good. Parker Frontier now is often made in India, what is unreliable as well.

I agree that Pilot is good choice. You can search for Sailor Junior Profit. It can be a little bit more expensive bit it is food writer.

Maybe I live under a rock but Frontiers are made in India now? I know they're OOP here in the UK but I had assumed NOS would be a safe bet, maybe not...

Just one more quick question - I don't think that the photos in ebay look too real, can anyone recommend a colour for the metropolitan? The silver and the gold look cool but I don't want to order one to discover it looks awful in real life.

I don't have one but I just saw them Sunday - they look fine. I personally do not like that band of whatever around the middle, but it is a minor, minor thing. I have a feeling it looks fine to everyone else and is just not my taste.

Just one more quick question - I don't think that the photos in ebay look too real, can anyone recommend a colour for the metropolitan? The silver and the gold look cool but I don't want to order one to discover it looks awful in real life.

Mine is gold, and it looks good, but they all look good. I would just not get the plain band because it is still a different color and texture than the rest of the barrel, so I prefer the zig zag, dots, or tiger patterns.

I just happen to have my with me today. Here's a picture with the cap off. I'll post a second one in a second. post-104774-0-71691000-1395167775_thumb.jpg

Jeff

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

I had my eye on the pilot metro animal editions in the past, but proprietary nipple is killing it for me.

Why?

I understand if you primarily or only use cartridge ink, but if you use bottle ink it should not matter.

For long term, just keep a spare converter and you should be fine.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Why?

I understand if you primarily or only use cartridge ink, but if you use bottle ink it should not matter.

For long term, just keep a spare converter and you should be fine.

Mainly because at the price you get a lower end squeeze converter, it's an extra 5$ for the twist style, and I would like to use standard international cartridges in a pinch, it makes no sense to me that they only do this for the US market, it's like a money grab to me.

Mainly because at the price you get a lower end squeeze converter, it's an extra 5$ for the twist style, and I would like to use standard international cartridges in a pinch, it makes no sense to me that they only do this for the US market, it's like a money grab to me.

IMHO, for the $15 price of the Pilot Metro including the converter, any converter is a good deal.

The Lamy Safari is 2x the cost and NO converter, you have to buy it separate.

Pilot proprietary cartridge is no different than other pen companies using proprietary cartridges; Parker, Sheaffer, Cross, Waterman (CF), etc.

What is different is how other parts of the world got Pilot to use international cartridges.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

IMHO, for the $15 price of the Pilot Metro including the converter, any converter is a good deal.

The Lamy Safari is 2x the cost and NO converter, you have to buy it separate.

Pilot proprietary cartridge is no different than other pen companies using proprietary cartridges; Parker, Sheaffer, Cross, Waterman (CF), etc.

What is different is how other parts of the world got Pilot to use international cartridges.

Probably because all the pens I currently have that have the option for cartridge or converter are all standard? I don't have a modern parker, sheaffer, cross or waterman, and the 3 sheaffers I have, have permanent sacs in them. Everything else takes standard international or a standard converter, so if a converter did break (hasn't happened yet) I could just pop in one of my spares or pop in some cartridges I already have an excess of.

All of the pens I've paid less than 20$ all came with converters, and for the most part have been fine.

Edited by KBeezie