Sailor Professional Gear Or Advice

agulerer

I am newbie about using fountain pen. I have Montegrappa NeroUno Linea M nib and it is wet pen. And I am using it for three years. Now I am looking to buy new pen and I saw Sailor Professional Gear 21k B nib and I like it a lot. I am thinking to buy that pen and I read a lot of good thing about its butter smooth nib. But I really like wet writing pens SO

- What do you think is Sailor Professional Gear good choice for wet and smooth writing pen?

- Do you have any advice for me for wet and gold nib pen for 300 - 600 USD price range?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• agulerer

• Joe in Seattle

• smk

• odd_soul

The Sailor B nib would be quite smooth but I'm not sure it would be as wide and wet as you expect as Japanese nibs run a size smaller by Western standards. It is best to try one out if possible. You can compare the Sailor nibs to other nibs on well known pens using this great tool from the Goulet Pen Company: Nib Comparison Tool

A Music nib on the Sailor would serve quite well on both the smoothness and wetness fronts IMO. There is scant line variation in the standard Music nibs but they have great potential to be ground to your liking.

S.

I don't have any experience with the Sailor Pro Gear, so I can't comment on that, but I have a couple of Platinum 3776 Century pens that write very wet out of the box. I would highly recommend those. The typical resin ones (burgundy, blue, or black) are around $175 or so, but they also make higher end celluloid ones that are around $360.

I have the sailor pro gear pen with an M-F nib. It has a perfect wetness to my taste. I usually like a flow of 6/10. The Sailor is about a 7.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Thank you very much for your replies :) Some people told me Platinum 3776 B nib for wet and smooth writing. What do you think about Pelikan M600? Or can you tell me any other pens? Maybe I can go up to 900 $.

I wrote part of the first draft of my first novel with a Sailor Pro Gear with an M nib. It was/is outstanding.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

I love the Sailor Professional Gear, it is a beautiful writer, wet and smooth. You might also consider a Montblanc 149 or the Pelikan M1000 or the Visconti Homo Sapiens, all three are great writers.

Regards,

Kevin

If you are using a M nib for your Montegrappa, the Sailor B nib may still be a tiny bit finer. But I think you will be happy with a Sailor Broad Nib.

I had used a Sailor PG (M nib) for some time. I am happy to say that this is the smoothest nib I have. Its a tad smoother than my Mont Blanc Starwalker. But I don't think that this is a wet nib.

The other thing about the Sailor PG is that the grip and balance is awesome.

Thank you very much for your replies :) Some people told me Platinum 3776 B nib for wet and smooth writing. What do you think about Pelikan M600? Or can you tell me any other pens? Maybe I can go up to 900 $.

The Pelikan M600 is great! I've got one myself. The nib is very smooth. The M nib is very wide, more like a B, which would be a size up from the Japanese Platinum B. It writes nice and wet, but I think my Platinum writes wetter. If you can go up to $900, you can consider Nakaya. They are the same company as Platinum, so their nibs are going to write like the Platinums. Or you can consider the Pelikan M1000, which has a very springy nib that's got some flex to it. It is a very large pen, though. With a $900 budget, you have many wonderful pens to choose from!

The Pelikan M600 is great! I've got one myself. The nib is very smooth. The M nib is very wide, more like a B, which would be a size up from the Japanese Platinum B. It writes nice and wet, but I think my Platinum writes wetter. If you can go up to $900, you can consider Nakaya. They are the same company as Platinum, so their nibs are going to write like the Platinums. Or you can consider the Pelikan M1000, which has a very springy nib that's got some flex to it. It is a very large pen, though. With a $900 budget, you have many wonderful pens to choose from!

Continuing on this line of thought, consider the Pelikan m800. Also a very smooth, soft writing pen. Both the m800 and m1000 have brass piston mechanism rather than plastic; which add some heft to the pens. The m800 is a bit smaller than the m1000 in size which could be a factor depending on your preference. Of course the m800 is also less expensive than the m1000.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Sailor is known for their fine nibs but they usually tend to be slightly wetter writers.

So that means that while their nib is smaller than normal, due to the wet flow, it's still rather smooth.

http://i.imgur.com/xQaDQjc.png

I am now replacing every word with "Iroshizuku". You're looking very Iroshizuku today! Iroshizuku to you too!

Get the sailor and ask the seller to adapt the wetness to your taste. Or get a Montblanc,nice nibs too...Pelikans are quite good too..In that price range there is a lot of choice...

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

I have a Sailor Pro Gear now in Fine...it is both very smooth and wet. I used to own Platinum with Medium which I found to be way too wet.

To my taste, the sailor writes much more precisely than either the Mont Blanc or the pelican.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I bought Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue with B nib. I tried Sailor Professional Gear Slim but I see that Platinum is much wetter than Sailor and I fell in love with Platinum. I am using it for 2 days and it writes very smooth and wet.