The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Question Extra Fine nibs

8 replies to this topic

#1 Escribiente

Escribiente

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:36

Who makes Extra Fine nibs that write with a true fine but wet line?

Sponsored Content

#2 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:04

Pilot, Sailor and Nakaya make the best EF's out of the box. My Sailor 1911M writes the wettest line of those three, which is to say it's marginally wetter than the rest. You will find high praise for the Sailor 14K EF; it's a remarkable nib for the price.

Aurora makes an excellent EF also. Some Delta pens are available (by special order) with EEF nibs, but I've not tried a Delta EF or EEF yet.

My luck with Pelikan EF's has been dismal - I checked 6 or 7 nibs and found 1 with a genuinely EF point. The rest were wet and more like F's.
Laura / Phthalo
Fountain Pens: My Collection · My Weblog · My Flickr Gallery
Follow me on Twitter: @Phthalo

#3 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:32

You know, I think my wettest XF is my 1945 Parker 51 Vac. Next in line is my Sheaffer TD Imperial (currently up for sale), and then my Vanishing Point.

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#4 penforlife

penforlife

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:34

For the smoothest extra fine, the sailor 1911 is the winner by a long shot. I also own an Pelikan M1050 with an extra fine which is one the smoothest writers I've tried, but it is more like a fine....

#5 errantmarginalia

errantmarginalia

Généalogue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 16:02

Of all of the EF's I've tried, the only one that didn't completely ruin the writing experience for me was a Tibaldi EF, which you might have already tried. The OMAS was also fairly nice, but closer to a F than an EF. Best,
David

#6 BobR

BobR

Reduced for Quick Sale

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 16:36

I was a bit dissatisfied with my Sailor 21K XF until I used Sheaffer Blue in it. It flowed very well and wrote more smoothly. I'll be experimenting with other inks once it's back in rotation.

#7 Escribiente

Escribiente

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:00

Thanks for the replies. It seems that Sailor is the way to go. I'll report back.

#8 trencherman

trencherman

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2007 - 13:35

This might be a tad late but Sailor out of the box is your best bet, second is anything that Nibs (or other similar operations) has predelivery adjusted to your liking.

#9 afrikab

afrikab

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 13:44

I have Sailor Chalna with EF nimb. It is very small but metal pen (14kt nimb). Good for frequent transport wink.gif

Attached Images

• 92_3.jpg

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|