The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Waterman 512 Psf 14K Overlay

waterman 512 psf gold overlay 14k

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:28

I have made posts about this pen before mainly for repair information. In the research I have done for the pen I have not found a definite date. I find dates of between 1908 and the late 1920s. I never got a reply from Waterman when I emailed them about it.

Might anyone have definite documentation on this pen which can be seen in the link below? This is not my pen but a better picture of the pen in question. Mine is apart right now for sac replacement.

http://www-personal....4K/Wat14k_3.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Xof72000

Xof72000

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:09

"512 PSF" ... : is that what you have on the bottom end of the pen ? If not, where did you get this number from ?

This seems important to me, as you know the Waterman numbering system has changed in 1917.... and yours could also be a "552".

I've got a 1919 Waterman catalog where "552 1/2" and "554" solid gold models are showned (were sold $27.00 and $37.00 at the time ...)

#3 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:39

Under a 30x and 60x loupe it looks to be 512 but the number is fairly worn as is the lettering underneath at the "6 o'clock" area. I will look again.

edit - Upon looking again it does indeed seem to be 512. The first and third number, a 5 and 2, are fairly obvious. Have to look really hard for the impression of the top half of the 1 inbetween them. The I only say it is a 1 because of the serif at the bottom of the number and what appears to be a stright line upwards instead of going in the direction the top half of the 2 would go. And it does not curve at the bottom like a 5. Also, originally when I looked at the pen when I received it and started posting about it I thought the mark at dead center between the number and PSF at the bottom is indeed a 1/2 which I originally thought was a Waterman "W".

I also noticed something I never saw before. A hint of red inside the impressions of the numbers?

Edited by Ray Cornett, 15 March 2014 - 13:02.

#4 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:45

removed

Edited by Ray Cornett, 15 March 2014 - 12:55.

#5 Force

Force

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 13:35

though a 12PSF does this help,

fpn_1394890483__dscn0408.jpg

#6 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 14:59

Mine has the 512 above where your 12 is and a PSF a little lower than the PSF mark on yours and what seems to me to be a very faint 1/2 in the center. I am going to try to get some photographs of it today.

#7 Force

Force

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,481 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 15:08

http://www.vintagepe...numbering.shtml

http://www.fountainp...d-fountain-pen/

a little light reading here.....http://vintagewaterm..._stock_list.asp

#8 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 15:27

The numbering system  page has always confused me a bit. Maybe I am over thinking it. But it seems to cancel itself out at one point. I also went through all the pens with 512 in them on the "light reading"site and didn't find my pen. The only other example I have ever seen of it is the one I posted an image of which was from another post on here where someone was selling one.

#9 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 15:34

In the numbering if it were 3 digits is it possible that if the first digit were a 0 would the 0 be smaller than the 12? 

#10 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 15:41

I have some potentially decent macro shots I will post as soon as I make sure they are clear enough.

#11 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 15:57

Ok, here is what I was able to come up with for images right now. I enhances the spot where the numbers/letters are to make them stand out a little better. I will proabably do more later with my real camera and light set up. I got a shot of what seems to me to be a 512, a shot that shows part of the 1/2 which is very weak and faint, and the PSF.

Edit- I am adding a snapshot of the pen itself. Also upon viewing the photos it now looks like there may be a possibility of the last two numbers being 22 instead of 12 as I had thought I saw under the loupe. It seems the part I thought made it a one, a more vertical stroke, may be a dent inside of a 2....This may be a job for a forensics department at the local PD,lol.

Attached Images

• 512.jpg
  • HALF.jpg
  • PSF.jpg
  • 2014-03-15 09.04.16.jpg

Edited by Ray Cornett, 15 March 2014 - 16:16.

#12 Xof72000

Xof72000

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2014 - 16:52

Yes, I agree, it really looks like "512 1/2 PSF" to me.

So I would say it was made before 1917.

#13 Procyon

Procyon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 18:41

To put an earlier boundary on it, I would also say 1908 or later, therefore, 1908-1917 would seem right.  Before 1908, all overlays basically just used a two digit description.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

#14 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2014 - 20:16

The 1/2 means this is the thin model. A 522 would have a very differant cap. 

#15 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2014 - 21:59

Thank you all. So, the original date I saw a while back of 1908 makes sense. For a thin model it still feels nice in my hands. I have arthritis and normally thin pens give me trouble.

#16 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2014 - 16:29

Sorry, Waterman didn't market lever fillers until 1915. They ran through every other possible filler first.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, 512, psf, gold, overlay, 14k

Sponsored Content

|