2014 San Francisco Pen Show

FarmBoy

The 2014 San Francisco Pen Show date is rapidly approaching. If you missed it, the show is August 22-24.

We welcome Franklin Christoph and their fine line of American made fountain pens to the 2014 SF Penshow. Also confirmed are vintage pen luminaries Lee Chait and Paul Erano. We will also have the 3Ms of nib work present. Susan Wirth will also present her seminar on how to write write.

The deadline to get a room at the show rate is July 31st. We have added additional rooms to our allocations but these won;t last. Book your room now to ensure the show the rate of $129.00/night.

The 2014 San Francisco Pen show will be a party to remember. On Friday night, we will have live music with the Royal Deuces courtesy of West Coast Pens. This is something not to be missed. If you come early there will be cocktails Thursday night--look for us somewhere in the hotel. More details to follow in the coming weeks.

We hope to see you in August!

I made my hotel reservation today! I hope to meet lots of FPN folks there! I'll look like me. Say "Hello!"

David

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• JonSzanto

• Finalist

• ac12

What can I do to help?

Southwest has a dozen flights a day...

I think Jet Blue goes quite a few days as well. If I fly up in the morning and back that night, I could use money otherwise spent on a hotel room on pens. Hmm..

I hope the new block of rooms is the swanky stuff. I'm going to book now...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Only slightly off topic, but how much does nib customization tend to run at conventions? I've never had it done before so I don't even have a baseline.

Only slightly off topic, but how much does nib customization tend to run at conventions? I've never had it done before so I don't even have a baseline.

I must also admit to not needing nib services beyond the occasional retip so I too have no baseline for such work at a show. I will say that having a nib tweaked while you are present is the ideal way to get what you want. Bring your ink and your paper as well-these are as important as the pen.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I hope the new block of rooms is the swanky stuff. I'm going to book now...

I should have them put you in the back alley, but I'm a nice person. I just moved you to Swankville.

I trust we will actually sit down and talk pens this time...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I emailed Nibs.com to ask about John Mottishaw's service at the show. Here is a portion of their response (Classic Fountain Pens / Nibs.com).

"...consultations, minor nib repairs, and tuning, but he will not be doing customizations on site. We will bring along a selection of pre-customized nibs for setup at the show, so if there's something you have in mind, please let me know and I'll add it to our list of requests to bring."

Edited by Finalist

Is there a pen Posse anytime before the show?

I have recently caught the platinum/nakaya bug and want to explore an opportunity to try out a few. I want to make an informed choice :)

May be then I can get in touch with John to check if he can bring exact nib+pen i like.

I have a platinum 3776 with Soft fine which i like using (only problem is the size and weight when uncapped). My other favorite rotation pen is MB Solitaire Fine. I like the weight of that pen, but it's a little skinny. Dimensions i like somewhere between MB 146 - 149. :B

Edited by vron

Is there a pen Posse anytime before the show?

There is a gathering at Peter's Cafe tomorrow (7-6-14) starting at 1 PM.

Todd

Edited by FarmBoy

Awesome, thanks Todd. You can count on me being there :)

Would request fellow nakaya owners to help out a nakaya newbie make a choice.

Bring your nakaya's along

I am debating between the following:

1> http://www.nakaya.org/en/review.aspx?id=16019&type=body
2> http://www.nibs.com/nakaya-portable-...ods-dragon.htm
3> http://www.nibs.com/nakaya-naka-ai-c...lue-dragon.htm
4> http://www.nibs.com/Nakaya-Blue-Dragon-NeoStandard.html
5> http://www.nibs.com/Nakaya-Nine-Dragons.html

BTW just to confirm, the address to Peter's cafe is: 10 El Camino Real, Millbrae, CA 94030 right?

Edited by vron

I am a foreign highschool student and I will be going to the pen show on Sunday, as it doesn't collide with my schedule.

I feel really lucky to get a chance to go to a pen show(thank goodness it's in August and not October). All I've been doing is looking at photos of pen shows.

There are a couple of things I'd like to know since this is my first time going to a pen show:

1. I'll be having a one day visitors pass. Do I need to register anything before arriving?

2. Being a student, there's only a relatively small budget of around $50. Is it possible to get a functional vintage pen at this price? I ought to get one from one of those boxes which sellers put cheap pens in but I'm not sure if the pens in there are fully functional.

I got a general idea of how pen shows are like from pictures and learned about the basic "rules" of dealing.

Any other tips or things I should know would be extremely helpful. Gracias.

Teach a man how to fix nibs, and he writes for life.

^ great questions!

It's my first also. I'm trying to make a list of everything I want to check out and possibly purchase. One item being a vintage flex of good quality and interesting body, but are most of the PFs going to be north of $100? Based on the videos I've seen of other shows it seems most FPs at the show are a few hundred.

One item being a vintage flex of good quality and interesting body, but are most of the PFs going to be north of $100? Based on the videos I've seen of other shows it seems most FPs at the show are a few hundred.

Well, not all, that's for certain! I can't speak for the upcoming SF show, as it is going to be a different mix of vendors, but you can certainly find interesting pens at all levels of expenditure. I've documented the following before, but we came upon this at the LA show in Feb, and found a couple of *very* nice pens. It may definitely depend on what you are looking for, but you don't have to be made of money to purchase pen fun at these shows...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7301/12584420824_16f2bdaf4c_c.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Also, a note for our listeners out there:

The "Group Rate" reservation desk at the Sofitel is open from 7:00am - 7:00pm, PST. Not 24/7. Just, uh, found that out.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have no idea. Looks like a Charlie Brown font to me...

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have no idea. Looks like a Charlie Brown font to me...

I'm more of a Spy vs Spy font person.

My experience is that you can get some very nice vintage stuff at a show for much better prices than you see on-line.

At today's PPPC meet, I picked up five restored vintage pens for $40 or less, each. It's quite possible to find usable vintage pens for under $100.

My feeling is that since listing things on-line is a bit of a hassle, a lot of the vendors only do it for the higher price items, and ignore the lesser pens, as they're not rare or collectable or fancy. When they go to a show, though, bringing a bunch of pens isn't much harder than bringing a few, so they bring a bunch of "boring" pens to sell. They may not be exciting, rare pens, but they'll write nicely and work just fine. Mind you, that's just my impression; I haven't heard any of the vendors say this.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Severely tempted, but if I go I might make it a one-day affair. Not sure if I should make the flights a same-day turn or add in an overnight; the airfare is the same right now.

One thing I really want to do is try several different Nakaya style FPs. If I go on the last day are places like Nibs.com sold out or have such low stock left that I won't get to see much? Are the booths so packed with consumers that it's a battle just to demo a pen?