The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Edison Collier Fp - What Are Your Opinions?

edison collier

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 abritdownunder

abritdownunder

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:32

I'm thinking about buying an Edison Collier Fountain Pen (Persimmon Swirl), with a 1.1 italic stub nib, from Goulet Pens. Does anyone own, or has anyone used, one of these pens? They look great, and I like stub nibs, but I usually don't like cartridge converter pens. So, if anyone has any experience with these pens, I'd love to hear it.

Regards,

Kevin

Sponsored Content

#2 josephchow42

josephchow42

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:44

you can simply convert them into eyedroppers. just apply a little silicon grease on the threads and get rid of the converter

phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

#3 TimGirdler

TimGirdler

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:55

I'm thinking about buying an Edison Collier Fountain Pen (Persimmon Swirl), with a 1.1 italic stub nib, from Goulet Pens. Does anyone own, or has anyone used, one of these pens? They look great, and I like stub nibs, but I usually don't like cartridge converter pens. So, if anyone has any experience with these pens, I'd love to hear it.

My dad has had a Collier for nearly 2 years.  It is a fantastic pen.  I now sell Edison pens, and I bought a Collier in Antique Marble for myself (mostly because I liked my dad's Collier SO much).

I think the Collier is a great pen.  It isn't little, and it doesn't post.  But, if that doesn't bother you, I think you'll love it.

A word on the nib you're wanting:  The JoWo stubs available on the Edison production pens are not tipped.  This is to say, they are not custom ground nibs.  I don't offer the stock JoWo stubs because I grind stubs for my clients when they request it.  I've tuned several of these stock JoWo stubs and, while they're not the same as a custom-ground stub, they can be made to write quite nicely.  The major "pause" I have over the stock JoWo stubs is their longevity.  Untipped nibs won't last as long as a tipped nib, and the writing qualities will change more quickly as a result of normal friction over even the best paper.

The Goulets are great and very reputable retailers.  If they are offering everything you want, I see no reason for you not to buy what you want from them!  :)

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

#4 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:55

I have a Edison Collier and it is a large pen and a smooth writer.  I have a cursive italic nib (before modification it was a M).  It doesn't post.

#5 tony1000

tony1000

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:57

My review here:

http://thefrugalfoun...on-collier.html

Stephen Brown's You Tube video here:

Tony Thomas 

Author of "The Fountain Pen Book" on Amazon.com.  

Editor of the Frugal Fountain Pen Blog:

http://thefrugalfoun...n.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @FrugalFP

#6 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:03

I understand that the Edison Collier is a "non-posting" pen.  

(If posting is important for you, I'd suggest you confirm with Goulet's if it can be done.)

For me, not able to post would pose no hardship,  as I always keep the cap in my hands.  My lovely Edison Pearl also does not post.

As far as Edisons in general, they are very well built, of quality materials & have the best quality German stainless nibs. The grip section is particularly comfortable, even for my small hands.

I ordered mine from the Edison factory with a smooth, stainless 1.1 mm stub which Pendleton Brown improved even further.  Since then he has made a wonderful 1.1 mm CI out of another italic nib.

That persimmon swirl is a lovely material. 

Highly recommended.  Go for it!

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14c.,-0.6 mm BLS, (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "M" -0.4 mm.BLS, (PB)

#7 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:11

It is one of my favorite pens. Originally I got it with a medium nib and it wasn't really a comfortable pen to use, but when I substituted in the 1.1 stub it immediately shot to the top of my most used pens.
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#8 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,735 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:11

Very Happy with my Collier (Antique Marble!)!

Yes, it can be used as an eyedropper........

-Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#9 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• 2,921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:56

While the Jowo 1.1 mm stub is without tipping, it is nevertheless a wide grade nib.  Depending on the ink & the paper you use, it will give you a fairly wide line.

Unfortunately,  the "tipped" stainless or 18K JoWo nib-units max out at a B.  There is not enough tipping material in a grade B to produce a 1.1 mm width italic nib. 

The tipping on a BB nib may get you close, but JoWo doesn't go that wide.

In my experience,... the best that a highly regarded nib tech could grind from the meager tipping on a JoWo B was a 0.8 mm stub. This nib actually wrote much narrower than its stated size.

The stainless JoWo 1.1 mm is a cheap & cheerful nib that you might wear out in a decade. 

But, your replacement would be only be about 25.00 USD. 

Think the Esterbrook's un-tipped 2000 series nibs.

Edited by tinta, 14 March 2014 - 04:30.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14c.,-0.6 mm BLS, (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "M" -0.4 mm.BLS, (PB)

#10 abritdownunder

abritdownunder

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:14

Thanks everyone, you've made up my mind  :)

Regards,

Kevin

#11 Lorna Reed

Lorna Reed

Voluntary Verger

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:50

I love my Edison Collier Persimmon Swirl with 1.1 nib. :wub:

I got it with a 1.5 nib which I found a little too wide, but the 1.1 is great. It's a big pen, but light and no - it definitely doesn't post.

I'm hoping to get the new steel blue next.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4.8

#12 bgray

bgray

Edison Pen Co.

• Member - Gold

• 1,881 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:01

In my experience,... the best that a highly regarded nib tech could grind from the meager tipping on a JoWo B was a 0.8 mm stub. This nib actually wrote much narrower than its stated size.

I thought that I'd jump in on this, as I respectfully disagree.

I've been grinding the Broad nibs to 1.1mm italics from the very beginning, along with all of the other people who grind them.  It's possible that you had a nib that was an anomaly....but for sure, Broads will create 1.1mm italics.  If you do have one that's faulty, feel free to reach out to us.

Fines will make .7mm, Mediums .9mm, and Broads 1.1mm.  

Thanks!

#13 novarider

novarider

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:35

I like my collier and an consisting purchasing another one. One thing I did not expect tho is how skinny the section is compared to the body.

It is comfortable enough if it's the first pen I use. If I use my Pelikan M805 or Pilot Custom 823 first then switch to the collier the section feels tiny.

#14 Bill Broome

Bill Broome

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 20:09

I love my Collier. I also have the Persimmon swirl but since I bought mine from the signature line, I chose a black cap tip, section and black end cap. I also chose the pump-fill.

If you don't like converters, just think of them as piston fillers that you can see the ink through!

#15 novarider

novarider

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2014 - 21:15

I love my Collier. I also have the Persimmon swirl but since I bought mine from the signature line, I chose a black cap tip, section and black end cap. I also chose the pump-fill.

If you don't like converters, just think of them as piston fillers that you can see the ink through!

How much was the collier with pump filler? That sounds very tempting to me!

#16 Splodge

Splodge

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:14

Just purchased my first Edison Fountain Pen and chose the Collier Persimmon Swirl with a 1.1 stub nib too. I loved the colours on this pen...simply beautiful.

Can't wait for it to arrive in the mail now.

#17 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• 1,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:30

Super happy with my large, non posting 1.1 stubbed collier

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.5, GvFC Moss Green; Lamy Vista 1.1, Diamine Oxblood; Sheaffer Touchdown 0.6, Sailor Kin-Mokusei

Case: Visconti HS EF, Sailor Kin-Mokusei; Estie 2314M, R&K Alt-Goldgrün; Lamy Studio 1.1, Diamine Ochre 

#18 KKay

KKay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:33

I have a Collier and I love that pen!

#19 Splodge

Splodge

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:08

Super happy with my large, non posting 1.1 stubbed collier

How does the 1.1 stub perform in the Collier?

Until recently I preferred fine nibs in my pens. However, after buying a 1.1 stub for my TWSBI 580 a few weeks ago, I think I've been converted.

#20 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:15

I LOVE my Collier. I have an extra fine but I'm considering a broader nib for it. It's one of the most comfortable pens I own and it's just beautiful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edison, collier

Sponsored Content

|