The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

A Modern Day Waterman 52

wet noodle vintage old waterman 52

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 WirlWind

WirlWind

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:16

this is a big problem with modern pens but if the feed is ebonite the channels should be carved out deeper to keep up with the thirsty nibs.  i dont know why they don't come this way to begin with.  it seems odd that we can't get good modern flex feeds when the old ones are all in the public domain now.

The noodler's pens actually come with a sheet showing you / telling you that you can carve out the feed to make it wetter if you need it.

I'm about to throw a Brause Rose flex nib onto my ahab, so I think I'll probably need to carve a few more channels.

Do, or do not. There is no try  - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

Sponsored Content

#22 Apprenti

Apprenti

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2014 - 15:39

The noodler's pens actually come with a sheet showing you / telling you that you can carve out the feed to make it wetter if you need it.

I'm about to throw a Brause Rose flex nib onto my ahab, so I think I'll probably need to carve a few more channels.

I did that (the carving). Some advice:

Do not extend the long line down the middle past the tip. The pen doesn't need it and it'll just leak.
Don't carve the outer edges of the channels. You want the ink to pool in the middle. Leave the sides so that ink doesn't leak.

I've found that modern flex nibs (or at least Nakaya) take a while to flow properly. After about 24 hours, I very rarely get railroading. In the unlikely event it does happen, I just twist the converter :)

Joe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wet noodle, vintage, old, waterman 52

Sponsored Content

|