We've just put together a range of 'Student Pens' costing between $2.75 and $4.95. This has been one of my pet projects for some time now and one of my original criteria was that the pen must take a converter AND Standard Cartridges. They all do except the Hero 266 but it's pretty easy to fill - and the Hero 358 ($4.80 with 4 cartridges) which will only take cartridges because there isn't enough headroom for a converter. Despite this inexplicable design choice, this pen and the Sellners ($2.75) are my picks. Both write amazingly well for such inexpensive pens, particularly the Hero.

post-18968-0-31650500-1394545881_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-65469300-1394546434_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-65628400-1394546457_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-10205500-1394546489_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-97609400-1394546557_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-29358200-1394546602_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-34132300-1394546631_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-32600000-1394546663_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-84374100-1394546692_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-90273900-1394546710_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-00295200-1394546764_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-51459800-1394546790_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-60535000-1394546823_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-32512200-1394546869_thumb.jpg

post-18968-0-18848200-1394546960_thumb.jpg

Kevin Watson
Blackstone Ink :: JustWrite Pen Company, Australia
Website: www.justwrite.com.au www.blackstone.inkEmail: info@justwrite.com.au

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• Tenkai

• JustWrite Pen Company

• Newjelan

Thanks Kevin, you've reminded me to have another look at your site when I return from holidays. Cheers

• 1 month later...

Kevin from JustWrite sent me a few of these pens as samples, some weeks ago now, to get my opinion on them before committing (I have three school-aged children, two of whom love playing with fountain pens) - and more recently I've been onto his website to purchase and try out the ultra-slimline Hero pen (haven't inked it up yet).

I'm hoping to put up some reviews over in the pen section - as a 'thank you' to Kevin, and for the benefit of anyone wanting to get a 'feel' for these pens before they buy. For now, I just wanted to say, the Sellner pens especially are AMAZING value for money - especially for a German(?) made pen. They'll take long and short international cartridges, and write wonderfully smoothly. The feed is a 'wick' feed (as is the Pilot VPen, I've discovered!), but that seems to work well. UNBELIEVABLE value for AU$2.75 (plus postage). The Hero pens are made of a less durable plastic, and are designed to take proprietary (short Parker-ending) cartridges - but they come with 4 blue-black cartridges, which is a big plus, and again, are a very smooth writer. Oh, and with a little bit of "encouragement" they'll take a standard international short cartridge happily enough, for those who are not fond of blue-black ink in a delicately-shaded pink or yellow pen...

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this is not necro, but does the feed accept varsity nibs?

Might be a nice solution to solve the hacking varsity, as now you get a varsity which is a C/C pen.

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

Hope this is not necro, but does the feed accept varsity nibs?

Might be a nice solution to solve the hacking varsity, as now you get a varsity which is a C/C pen.

If your question relates to the Sellner pen, the answer is a definite 'no' - though they look similar from on top, the shapes of the feeds are not compatible. MAYBE you could pull out the whole feed on both pens and do a swap - the fin sections beneath the feeds are a comparable size, and it's just possible that would work. That said, I don't know that you'd WANT to transplant nibs - in my experience they're fairly comparable in terms of smoothness, although the Pilot probably writes a marginally broader line.

If your question relates to the Sellner pen, the answer is a definite 'no' - though they look similar from on top, the shapes of the feeds are not compatible. MAYBE you could pull out the whole feed on both pens and do a swap - the fin sections beneath the feeds are a comparable size, and it's just possible that would work. That said, I don't know that you'd WANT to transplant nibs - in my experience they're fairly comparable in terms of smoothness, although the Pilot probably writes a marginally broader line.

Ah, I was just trying to get a varsity with cartridges ^^" Maybe take the feed and stick it in a Preppy body. Guess I'll stick with the varsity in preppy. It's a frankenpen thing ^^"

My version of the guide for the Pilot Varsity Nib transplantation to the Platinum Preppy

DIY Retractable Fountain Pen (Couldn't get it to work, now refilling Schmidt 888 M refills with FP inks in a Pilot G2 Limited, the ceramic roller tip is as smooth as a Firm FP steel nib, Poor Man's VP I guess)

• 1 month later...

. . .

For now, I just wanted to say, the Sellner pens especially are AMAZING value for money - especially for a German(?) made pen.

. . .

Isn't Sellner an Austrian company? I believe Marchtrenk is a town in Austria.

It is possible that the plastics are made in Germany or Austria, but the nib section seems to be a run-of-the-mill steel nib from China, and very similar to the Smiggles fountain pens mentioned on another thread.

Edited by aawhite

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

Isn't Sellner an Austrian company? I believe Marchtrenk is a town in Austria.

It is possible that the plastics are made in Germany or Austria, but the nib section seems to be a run-of-the-mill steel nib from China, and very similar to the Smiggles fountain pens mentioned on another thread.

Oops - yeah, you're right, Sellner is an Austrian company - the JustWrite website has this wrong, and I was getting my info from their website.

Yes, the nib section looks a little bit like the flat nibs you find on the Hero 358 'Schedule Note', the Pilot Metropolitan... and for all I know the Smiggles nib as well - but I don't know whether that comes down to common design or common origin. It also has in common with those other pens a wick feeding system, which seems to help prevent dry-out but can make it messy to try and change ink colours between cartridges. Still, it's a very nice writer, and the kind of pen you won't cry over (too much) if it gets lost, stolen or broken. The smiley-faces probably mean it's not an ideal office pen, though - sadly...

Most of these pens have the same general layout as pens branded as Reynolds (India) and Flair. The Flair pen I have is a great writer, but the proprietary catridges they come with are hard to find. The Faber Castell is likely made for them by the Chinese Beifa company.