The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Saw A Fp In A Drugstore Today!

pharmacy pilot mr pilot metropolitan drug store cvs

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:58

Surprise.. !

Was sure this find would be Pilot Varsity.

To which I was planning to offer a grumble... The Varsity cap no longer posts. Very annoying, since it once had this feature. I forget, then have to scout for where it's skittered across the floor.

Instead, I need to inquire if anyone has used the MR? Are there nib choices? Does the cap post?

...As if I need a new pen.  Old habits...

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

Sponsored Content

#22 WirsPlm

WirsPlm

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:35

Surprise.. !

Was sure this find would be Pilot Varsity.

To which I was planning to offer a grumble... The Varsity cap no longer posts. Very annoying, since it once had this feature. I forget, then have to scout for where it's skittered across the floor.

Instead, I need to inquire if anyone has used the MR? Are there nib choices? Does the cap post?
...As if I need a new pen.  Old habits...

My Varsity caps post, was this change super recent (like in the past few months)? Also the MR is just another name for the Metropolitan (MR is Asian or EU just like Cocoon is for Japan, it comes with an F or M nib and the EU MRs use international converters but the Asian one uses the same old Pilot converter).

#23 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 5,935 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:40

Yes, recent Varsity. In the past caps stayed on fairly well.

Perhaps this was a single issue, bad cap. Hope so.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#24 Ike Levens

Ike Levens

Roboticist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 22:15

So, I didn't see cartridges or bottles of ink at the CVS, but I took this photo in the Staples .2 miles away.

13275386035_ec47362f19.jpg

So Staples is at least selling standard international cartridges.  They don't fit the MR, of course, but it's a start.

#25 ConnallMac

ConnallMac

Transplanted New Yorker

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 22:37

I checked another local CVS on Saturday and struck out there too. I'm heading to Indianapolis this weekend and if I have time I'll check there as well.

#26 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 00:27

Staples here has a couple of fountain pens and standard International cartridges.  No bottled ink.

So Staples is at least selling standard international cartridges.  They don't fit the MR, of course, but it's a start.

I thought the point of the MR was that it did use standard International cartridges?  Or are you just abbreviating Metropolitan?

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

#27 WirsPlm

WirsPlm

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 00:49

Staples here has a couple of fountain pens and standard International cartridges.  No bottled ink.

I thought the point of the MR was that it did use standard International cartridges?  Or are you just abbreviating Metropolitan?

There is also a Pilot MR that doesn't use international cartridges (the Asian version, it also sometimes comes in F nibs instead of M), Pilot's distribution for the Metro/MR/Cocoon is just unnecessarily complicated.

#28 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:44

I stopped at a largish CVS on the way in to work today.  Quite a few Pilot pens, but no fountain pens.  I'd expect to see the Varsity before the Metro, but none at all.

Ditto.  I will check the one by me, but I'm not holding my breath, since I'm in a small town.  There may be ones available in stores inside Pittsburgh itself.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#29 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:10

You saw an MR in an American Store? 

#30 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:10

PS: You sure that's a fountain pen? The one right next to it is a ball pen. (Though SKU code says FTFN, and the partially visible yellow text could be fountain). 

Edited by KBeezie, 20 March 2014 - 05:11.

#31 Ike Levens

Ike Levens

Roboticist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 21:19

You saw an MR in an American Store? 

Yes, this is in the USA.

PS: You sure that's a fountain pen? The one right next to it is a ball pen. (Though SKU code says FTFN, and the partially visible yellow text could be fountain). 

Yes, this is a fountain pen, I had pulled it off the shelf to check after taking the photo.

Update:

I was in the store again on Friday to get some milk, and grabbed this photo.

13702338143_6e8fa3889d.jpg

I don't think they were there when I took the first photo, but now they have cartridges as well as the pen.  This seems encouraging to me.

#32 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2014 - 22:34

Yes, this is in the USA.

Yes, this is a fountain pen, I had pulled it off the shelf to check after taking the photo.

Update:

I was in the store again on Friday to get some milk, and grabbed this photo.

13702338143_6e8fa3889d.jpg

I don't think they were there when I took the first photo, but now they have cartridges as well as the pen.  This seems encouraging to me.

Is there like a huge FP club in that area I'm unaware of? 

:P You could probably resell those MRs for a $10 profit, seeing as it costs almost $30 total (not counting shipping) jut to get the MRs internationally. 

But yea, for once a drug store has something that Staples didn't bother to carry. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pharmacy, pilot mr, pilot metropolitan, drug store, cvs

Sponsored Content

|