Lamy 2000: need help with nib width.

sirgrunthos

Hello. This is my first post on this -- or any -- forum. I hope it comes out right!

Anyway, after a lengthy hiatus, I've become enamored with fountain pens again, especially because of relatively recent improvements in inks over what I remember. I've got several pens in my budding collection and, thanks in no small part to this forum, I want more! The problem is, I prefer a finer point but cannot always try what I want to buy before purchasing. My next acquisition for an everyday writer will probably be a Lamy 2000 (or maybe a Parker 100 -- I like hooded nibs with a longish grip area). I'm thinking of the x-fine nib, but don't want it to be too scratchy. I've heard that the 2000 generally writes very smooth, and a little wider/wetter than most.

So, does anyone have any experience with the 2000 x-fine? I don't care if it's a little stiff, I just don't like dredging up paper fibers without even pushing hard.

Jerry

"Live every day as if it were going to be your last; for one day you're sure to be right."

- Lt. Harry 'Breaker' Morant

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scribbler

• Russ

• sirgrunthos

• plipule

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a Lamy 2000 with an extra-fine nib and found it to be nearly as wide as the medium nib on my Pilot Vanishing Point. I would describe the Lamy XF as a wide fine. If you prefer a fine nib I would definitely recommend the XF.

--J. Haney

I would have to agree about the XF, although I don't think it is that close to a medium. Ink will have a large part in the flow and width of the nib as well. I am using Noodler's Aircorp Blue-Black with my XF nib. If I had a scanner I would put up some samples (that and my handwriting is atrocious).

One thing I do know is that I have had my 2000 for about three weeks now and I have not even picked up any other pen in that time. The pen is great.

John

I think I would stay away from Lamy if you want fine nibs. I have a Lamy Accent, and I really like the pen in many ways, but the XF nib is a medium in my book! Many of the European nibs really run wide. I have a Waterman Charleston Fine which I think is a fine, and I have an Aurora Ipsilon XF which I also think is more like a Fine. Also, Sheaffer Fine nibs seem to be fairly true. My VP fine is like an XF and it's Medium is a real medium.

John

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

I have a Lamy 2000 with XF. On cheap paper the line width wide enough that I wouldn't want a wider nib. On good paper it's a bit narrow or just right. The tipping material, hoewver, is quite thick. With the XF, this means that vertical strokes may be narrower than horizontal strokes.

I find the Lamy 2000 EF to be a fine or wider, depending on what inks and what paper you use.

Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's Black gives me the finest line, whereas Aurora Black gives me a wider line, and yet Noodler's Lux. Blue or Polar Black give me this wide, pastel, medium-width line.

I hear Parker (51s?) nibs can go pretty narrow, so if the nib size/line size matters most, that might be a good place to start, unless you plan on having the Lamy reground to be narrower.

Which isn't a bad idea, actually!

QUOTE (Russ @ Feb 26 2007, 01:43 PM)
The tipping material, hoewver, is quite thick. With the XF, this means that vertical strokes may be narrower than horizontal strokes.

This is my experience too. I found that the F nib was wonderfully smooth and the EF nib dug in just a little too much for me. For me it's a choice between feel of writing and appearance of the line. The EF line looked better but I just didn't enjoy having more drag on the nib. It wasn't scratchy but the sharper point didn't feel good to me, especially on ordinary paper. I'm thinking of going back to an F to have a slightly fuller cushion at the end of the nib.

DavidM1

I'll admit that I don't have much experience, as I am still on the first fill of my 2000 fine (Noodler's Midnight Blue), but with this ink, the Lamy fine is the exact same width (to the naked eye, anyway) as my OMAS medium with Florida Blue.

Okay, I'm really appreciating all the great feedback, and still primarily focused on the 2000. But. . . .

What d'yall think of a Studio Palladium with the gold nib instead of steel? Would this have about the same feel as the nib on the 2000? (I have to admit a slight dislike of integral piston fillers, like the 2000 has, due to some past experiences, but am willing to overlook this for an exceptional everyday writer with a longish grip area not too close to the point.) I also still love the way the 2000 looks!

Jerry

"Live every day as if it were going to be your last; for one day you're sure to be right."

- Lt. Harry 'Breaker' Morant

Sorry to change the subject, but I didn't want to add yet another 2000 thread. Does anyone know where I can buy just the nib section for a 2000?

Thanks.

Jason's current rotation:

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

Sirgunthos, I have a Lamy Safari with two nibs (F and 1.1mm) as well as a 2000 (EF). The 2000 nib is softer by far. You can actually see the right nib tine flex a bit as you write (at least as I hold it). It's like the difference between driving my previous Chevy coupe and my VW Jetta diesel: one of them is definitely an adult's car, no mistake about it. Same with the 2000: the Studio just isn't the 2000. Everyone will have their own preference, but the quality of the pens is not on the same level.

The Safari EF can run from dry and scratchy EF to a smooth, wet, near-F line, and is hard enough to use on triplicates forms.

The 2000 EF is smooth, with a soft nib and line variation if you press on the nib, and very wet. The two nibs are vastly different in feel and quality, but I have no idea how the Studio performs. smile.gif

QUOTE (sirgrunthos @ Feb 26 2007, 09:59 AM)
Okay, I'm really appreciating all the great feedback, and still primarily focused on the 2000. But. . . .

What d'yall think of a Studio Palladium with the gold nib instead of steel? Would this have about the same feel as the nib on the 2000? (I have to admit a slight dislike of integral piston fillers, like the 2000 has, due to some past experiences, but am willing to overlook this for an exceptional everyday writer with a longish grip area not too close to the point.) I also still love the way the 2000 looks!

Jerry

I have the Studio Palladium (14k XF nib), and do enjoy the pen. It's generally scratchy, but a bit better on good paper like Clairfontaine. My Safari is much smoother writer and it's another XF nib. The one other big negative is that the grip part is a bit slick and there's more movement in hand than I'd like.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the 2000 and safari nibs are similar, but I found this image on the net and

used it to help me decide to get the XF safari. The M and F look almost the same.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4158/76049552tg5.jpg

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

I have an XF and an M 2000 and if you like fine nibs, get the XF - I don't find it writes as fine as my Lamy Vista F, but it is a joy to write with. It is undoubtedly smoother than any of my other XF nibs. Next to the VP XF though it looks positively broad!

Just to try to help, I attach a quick (and slightly fuzzy - sorry for the lack of photographic ability) comparison of the 2000 nibs with a Studio (steel nib), a Vista and a VP. You can see that the 2000 XF is wider, but still a fine, I think. unsure.gif

Hope this helps.

<span style='color:purple'>George

UK</span>