The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Warped Barrel

eversharp whal doric airliner

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 parkerdpetesron

parkerdpetesron

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 20:05

I just bought this Whal-Eversharp Doric Airliner (I believe it is) and there is one problem with it. Part of the barrel where the lever is has been warped outward. I'm am wondering if there is a way to fix it or someone I can send my pen to to fix it for me. Thanks.

temporary-24.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 20:31

I would say someone put a screwdriver in there and started to wiggle....

Alas I know nothing about how to repair that...

But I an interested to learn the possibilities

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#3 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 21:30

This is a very common flaw. The C-shaped piece of spring wire that anchors the lever often exerts considerable outward pressure. It may be enough to cause gradual cold creep in the barrel material over a period of decades, though more often the gapping around the lever requires the barrel to be exposed to enough heat to soften its material.

To fix it, you'll first have to take out that lever retaining spring, then use heat to restore the original shape of the material around the lever opening. Very easy to do irreversible damage, though.

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 10,118 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:17

As stated, non trivial application of heat is required. May be best to make a mandrel and sleeve to reform the barrel while hot .
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• 2,594 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 14:39

Special caution is required with facetted pens, inasmuch as many of them had facets heat-formed rather than cut. The material has a memory, so overheating can turn them back into round stock.

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 15:05

Special caution is required with facetted pens, inasmuch as many of them had facets heat-formed rather than cut. The material has a memory, so overheating can turn them back into round stock.

Indeed!  I've also found that when heating material, the corners/edges are where it gets the hottest and therefore where it's most likely to ignite, not the wide flat parts like the facets.  The first clue that it's gotten too hot is the poof of smoke and smell of burnt celluloid.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 10,118 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 15:06

My sleeve would have the flats as inserts. Might even use graphite as the material. Easy enough to make but time consuming for a single pen...unless one were to make just a collar.

Would be nice if the original tooling had survived.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#8 parkerdpetesron

parkerdpetesron

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 21:46

Thank you everybody for the help. I have taken the grip section and the j bar out. Now what would be the best way to heat it up to bend the plastic back into place? I really don't want to damage this pen.

#9 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• 2,594 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 22:04

There is no J bar in a Doric, unless the original pressure bar has been replaced improperly.

You do not want to heat the barrel until you have removed the lever and its retaining spring.

#10 parkerdpetesron

parkerdpetesron

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 23:27

This is what was in the pen when I got it.

temporary-26.jpg

Edited by parkerdpetesron, 12 March 2014 - 01:37.

#11 parkerdpetesron

parkerdpetesron

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:06

How am I supposed to remove the lever?

#12 framebaer

framebaer

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:12

You need to pop the c-wire out of the groove in the barrel.

If you have never done this before, perhaps best to practice on a less meaningful pen until you learn the physics  or geometry of doing it without breaking something.

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra. Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

#13 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:42

I would say someone put a screwdriver in there and started to wiggle....

Alas I know nothing about how to repair that...

But I an interested to learn the possibilities

D.ick

Nope. Wrong. It's from the constant pressure from the ring that holds the lever. See the second post. 

This is a very common flaw. The C-shaped piece of spring wire that anchors the lever often exerts considerable outward pressure. It may be enough to cause gradual cold creep in the barrel material over a period of decades, though more often the gapping around the lever requires the barrel to be exposed to enough heat to soften its material.

To fix it, you'll first have to take out that lever retaining spring, then use heat to restore the original shape of the material around the lever opening. Very easy to do irreversible damage, though.

#14 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• 2,594 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 13:32

You need to pop the c-wire out of the groove in the barrel.

If you have never done this before, perhaps best to practice on a less meaningful pen until you learn the physics  or geometry of doing it without breaking something.

It's a lot easier to break a pen than to unbreak it.

Especially when heat is involved. . . .

#15 parkerdpetesron

parkerdpetesron

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 19:23

If this is a near impossible task I think I'll just put a new ink sac in it and leave it be. It should still work just fine.

#16 viclip

viclip

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2014 - 19:51

There are plenty of 3rd tier pens around suffering the same affliction as your Doric.  If you're not inclined to send your valuable Doric to a seasoned professional, then I'd strongly recommend not trying to heat shrink its barrel unless & until you've mastered the technique on relatively expendable 3rd tier pens.

#17 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 10,118 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 23:40

There are plenty of 3rd tier pens around suffering the same affliction as your Doric.  If you're not inclined to send your valuable Doric to a seasoned professional, then I'd strongly recommend not trying to heat shrink its barrel unless & until you've mastered the technique on relatively expendable 3rd tier pens.

Likely different material so the experience isn't quite the same but close.

Good luck to all in your heating celluloid past Tg.

#18 parkerdpetesron

parkerdpetesron

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 00:20

I would love to send my pen to someone to fix it, I just don't know anyone who can.

#19 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 10,118 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:59

I would love to send my pen to someone to fix it, I just don't know anyone who can.

Several that could have answered here.

#20 parkerdpetesron

parkerdpetesron

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 18:54

Who would be willing to fix this barrel for me and for how much?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eversharp, whal, doric, airliner

Sponsored Content

|