Jinhao's 599, Now Even More Lamy-Like

k3eax

........ with it in a month or so when it arrives.

Many of the Chinese sellers are shipping small packages like this with "ePacket-United States Postal Service". Takes two days or so to ship out of China - then flies airmail and then distributes through the US Mail. Most of mine have come in to Kansas within 7-10 days after payment.

Hopefully your seller uses this method.

I've been amazed how fast they get here. Depends on how your seller ships.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrcharlie

• Sailor Kenshin

• KBeezie

• TSherbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been amazed how fast they get here. Depends on how your seller ships.

Yes, me too! When the cost is low, shipping is free, and delivery is fast, it is like the Chinese Amazon. And as they move away from making the pens out of WWII shell casings, World, Watch Out!

My first Jinhao took 24 days to arrive; it was within the promised delivery window and all. I would bet my current crazy low price purchases take about the same, although they are not from the same vendor. The delivery method is/was specified as "china post" I think.

In the past I ordered a Pilot 78G from an HK seller who described their shipping as "e-Packet", and it took a handful of days to arrive.

My packages that say "United States Postal Service - ePacket" also say "China Post" at the top.

Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised if it does come fast!

I think it is very surprising they come so fast. It is apparent at least to me in the center of the US, that our US Postal Service has stepped up their pace.

I have been very happy, and actually amazed how fast they can move it through the US even by truck.

For sure the slow part is not the US part, it is the getting to the US part. The China Post tracking info made that clear.

I would have liked to get a finer nib than "medium", but I didn't want the strange looking hooded version. Is the "medium" more like a western medium or more like a Pilot medium?

For sure the slow part is not the US part, it is the getting to the US part. The China Post tracking info made that clear.

I would have liked to get a finer nib than "medium", but I didn't want the strange looking hooded version. Is the "medium" more like a western medium or more like a Pilot medium?

Mine is actually more like a western medium

Same here. It worked for me, since I wanted to show off the eye-searing orange ink. ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have three Jinhao 599's.

One writes on the fine side of medium.

One writes on the medium side of medium.

And the third which I had to do some tine widening to get a proper flow, is now a Medium Bold. I now think my Waterman Green was too old and was suffering from it. Now I've got a lot of flow after diluting the ink and widening the tines.

Maybe when Jinhao sees a lot of business in the US and Europe, their distributors/sellers may convince them there are other nib size than medium. But that in itself may increase production costs and force what are really good prices up.

I just can't understand why US and other makers can't produce smooth nibs with good flow consistently.

For prices into the $25 and up to the stratosphere that should be a guarantee.

Our little $3.00 pens seem like a bargain.

So are there essentially three 599s out?

Older Metal version without an ink window and open nib

Newer Plastic with open nib and ink window

Even Newer Plastic with hooded nib and ink window?

What's to differentiate the models other than the look?

It will be interesting to see how alert Chinese manufacturers take advantage of the power of Alibaba since it has now gone public in the US.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/alibaba-files-to-go-public-in-the-u-s/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

If China is "under shopped" as one writer thinks,

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-05-06/alibaba-files-for-an-ipo-why-you-should-care

will Chinese manufacturers start to offer more global products to their home market and reduce costs enough to enter the US and other markets with a real presence?

Well here's a couple pictures Jinhao sent of every 599 models they have available, and I guess the plastic one covers both the hooded and open nib style since it's shown capped (in this case it's the color offering that matters).

fpn_1399605562__599-set_1280.jpg

fpn_1399605554__599-plastic_1280.jpg

oooh pretty colors....

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

In a way it makes Lamy's offering seem somewhat paltry. (did they ever make a demonstrator safari? Limited edition or otherwise?)

Really? Have you seen this thread? https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/22180-lamy-safari-colours

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Instagram

Some of the best Safari colors are past LE's that cost...way too much for me.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.