The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Spray Paint A Fountain Pen

spray paint color cheap fountain pens pilot metropolitan

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tessy Moon

Tessy Moon

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" ~ Keats

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:07

I have read here on FPN about spray painting preppies. (Using that special meant-for-plastic-spray-paint)

I was wondering if I could spray paint a Pilot Metropolitan?

I am considering purchasing the white one but I don't like the animal print design and was considering painting that part of the pen.

I would take it all apart of course and tape up the the silver end and the open part very thoroughly.

Any thoughts? Is it worth it to try or would it be a disaster?

As the pen is only $15 I thought it might be safe to give it a try and it wouldn't be too big of a loss if it didn't go well.

But I'd really like to hear what you think.

Have you ever painted a fountain pen? How did it turn out? Did you like the end result? Tell us about it!

Thank you for your input!!

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:37

Well the trick is preparation and paint.  Just like doing a plastic model.

The most important is that the pen has to be prepared so the paint will STICK to it.

Then you need a paint that will be DURABLE, and not flake off.

You also need a good way of applying the paint.  Personal opinion is to use an air brush...which isn't cheap.  I would not think of using a spray can, the spray is not fine enough for a small object like a pen.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 Force

Force

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:46

If the pen is only $15 you have nothing to loose...

Painting a Waterman Carene

#4 kidde

kidde

SQUIRREL!!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 17:03

You want to scuff and clean the part you will paint. Scoth-Brite pads will work, just enough to give the paint something to stick to. Soap and water, water, alcohol and maybe acetone, in that order, to clean it. Be prepared to wait days for the paint to not only dry but cure also. Prep and patience are what it takes for a nice result. Good luck!

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

#5 johniem

johniem

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 18:38

I agree with AC12. Many years ago I came across a site which described a process for painting cameras, (high dollar cameras). The illustrations were gorgeous. Imagine a Canon SLR in deep lemon meringue yellow (my favorite color). It can be done, but it isn't cheap or possibly easy. To do it well would require an air brush. If you have one and know how to use it, or know someone who has one and is willing to do the job for you, go for it. I don't have an air brush, but you've got me thinking... all I need is one more hobby. 

Edited by johniem, 08 March 2014 - 18:39.

“If you believe yourself unfortunate because you have loved and lost, perish the thought. One who has loved truly, can never lose entirely.” ~Napoleon Hill

#6 van

van

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:21

I paint my Varsities and have used both regular Krylon and their "for plastic" Fusion paints. The fusion took forever to dry and never looked good, but the regular Krylon - I use the semi gloss black - works perfectly for me. I prep the body and cap using acetone, and while the paint is not totally permanent on the cap (which is most likely polyproelene), the paint bnds to the body well and shows almost no wear at all after a few years. I also refill them by pulling the nib/section out with pliers and fillingwith an eyedropper. I really hate the way Varsities and V-Pens look from the factory, but painted up they make a great looking pen that you can take to the beach or leave in your car without worry.

I have also stripped and buffed out both, which gives you a frosty-looking demonstrator type thing.

#7 Tessy Moon

Tessy Moon

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" ~ Keats

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:52

I paint my Varsities and have used both regular Krylon and their "for plastic" Fusion paints. The fusion took forever to dry and never looked good, but the regular Krylon - I use the semi gloss black - works perfectly for me. I prep the body and cap using acetone, and while the paint is not totally permanent on the cap (which is most likely polyproelene), the paint bnds to the body well and shows almost no wear at all after a few years. I also refill them by pulling the nib/section out with pliers and fillingwith an eyedropper. I really hate the way Varsities and V-Pens look from the factory, but painted up they make a great looking pen that you can take to the beach or leave in your car without worry.

I have also stripped and buffed out both, which gives you a frosty-looking demonstrator type thing.

Thank you for these ideas!

This is exactly what I was thinking. I am looking for something fast and easy to make a cheap pen look a little more to my liking. I think I will practice on one of my preppies first with the Krylon spray paint and see how it goes.

Thank you so much for your comment! It helped a lot!   :)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

#8 inotrym

inotrym

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 00:53

Would a technique like this work on a nib too?

I was looking at a Parker Urban Premium matte black the other day, and thought that it would make a pretty nice stealth pen, if it hadn't been for that steel nib.

(come on parker... common sense...)

Edited by inotrym, 12 March 2014 - 00:53.

#9 distancerunner

distancerunner

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:41

Rattle cans will work fine.  Small guitar repair shops and do it yourselfers use them all the time to produce fine finishes that must stand up to the highest (think looking at a finish from a distance of four inches and flipping it 360 degrees through the light) scrutiny.  The atomization is not as fine as what can be achieved with an air brush, but that does not matter if you rub out and buff the final finish.

As has been mentioned, prep work is key.  Light thin coats, followed by a couple or six coats of clear should produce stunning results.

However, it is about fifty dollars worth of work on a fifteen dollar item. 

#10 Plume145

Plume145

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 15:20

This is GREAT! I really hope you do it, and then post the results :-)

However, it is about fifty dollars worth of work on a fifteen dollar item. 

Yeah, but you get the *exact* item you had in mind - priceless! Heh heh :P That's kind of the DIY mindset really isn't it? More about being able to have the exact item you want, than to avoid purchasing it. 

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage. 

#11 distancerunner

distancerunner

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 15:49

Yeah, but you get the *exact* item you had in mind - priceless! Heh heh :P That's kind of the DIY mindset really isn't it? More about being able to have the exact item you want, than to avoid purchasing it. 

Yes, you do.  And yes, it is. 

That was simply data.  If you can't find what you want in the marketplace you have to make it yourself. 

There is a value in the conceiving and the doing of a pet project.  That value can be simply the joy of creation. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spray paint, color, cheap fountain pens, pilot metropolitan

Sponsored Content

|