The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Diy Pen Repair Tools

diy repair tool

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 00:36

As with any craft and hobby requiring tools there are always do it yourself home made versions. What are some of the pen repair tools you have made yourself that ended up working just as well as the actual tool? I am interested to see if there is a good DIY section pliers.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:11

Check Main Street Pens and Ron Zorn. He's got a ton of great ideas. He's a mod on the repair board ! I use a lot of dental pics for starters.

#3 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:41

Thanks!

#4 Hooker56

Hooker56

Maduro

• Member - Gold

• 862 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:17

Ray,

I have a smallish pair of general purpose pliers that I tried to use as section pliers several years ago when I started repairing my own pens. I cut some short sections of surgical tubing and slipped them over the jaws to protect the pens. Although I use the pliers often for other purposes in my repair kit, I quickly learned that there is no real replacement for the 'automotive ' pliers that most use as section pliers. buy good pair as they will prove their value quickly! There is negative value in breaking a $100 pen because of a $3.00 pair of pliers.

Just my $.02-

Clayton

P.S.- There are many inexpensive fly tying tools that are GREAT for pen repair! If you on Bass Pro or Cabellas websites prices are very reasonable.

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

#5 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 18:11

If you are planning to use regular slip-joint pliers as section pliers, you need to grind the teeth flat with a Dremel or similar tool - then install the rubber tubing over the smoothed jaws.  I've used mine for over 10 years with no ill effect.   Credit to the late Fr. Terry Koch for that design, as least as far as I know.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#6 Hooker56

Hooker56

Maduro

• Member - Gold

• 862 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 20:59

KellyG- Thanks for tip! I read some of Fr. Koch's blogs, but never saw that tip. Yes, the teeth are an issue.

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

#7 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:47

Here are a couple I use a lot. 

The first one is at least 60 years old, a shot glass from my Grandmother's house. It held the toothpicks on the kitchen table [1]. What's cool about it is how tall it is and how nearly straight the sides are. It makes the PERFECT soaking container.

DSC00509.JPG

The next are flat wood coffee stirrers, I believe Charyucks has them that are about 3/16" wide and just less than 1/8" thick. I use these for pushing j-bars back into position, sharpened for minute applications of shellac, *sharpened* to ream polish residue out of cap vent holes, squared off with flannel under it for a polishing tool, and stacked 2 or 3 on top of each other to bend the kink out of pocket clips. 

[EDIT] My section/barrel gripper material is old cut up bicycle inner tube. Works great.

[1] I remember sitting on the counter and playing with the toothpicks while my Grandmother made biscuits.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy, 09 March 2014 - 03:16.

#8 c4bb0ose

c4bb0ose

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:09

For getting off barrels from sections I have had success with blue tac as a cheap alternate to section pliers.

#9 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:33

Interesting tips! I do have a long straight sided double shot glass which I have used for soaking. So, I know that is a great idea.I also found a small flat piece of rubber about 1/16th inch thick which I cut a small circle out of to put in the bottom as extra protection for nib points facing down in  the cup while soaking just in case.

#10 Guest_Ray Cornett_*

Guest_Ray Cornett_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:40

To those who use heat guns on sections. If you don't have cone tips to focus the heat to a smaller area and don't have any place local to get them, and you have a limited time to refurbish the pen would fashioning some sort of aluminum foil home made cone work?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diy, repair, tool

Sponsored Content

|