The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Private Reserve Blue Suede: Copperplate

private reserve blue suede review copperplate waterman clairefontaine

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 19:43

A while ago, I posted a pretty scathing review of Private Reserve Blue Suede, complaining about pretty severe feathering. Well, I want to revise that somewhat because I think those results were very pen-dependent. I just tried writing something with my new Waterman frankenpen, and the ink performed very well on the cheapest "99¢ for 200 sheets" American filler paper ever made. I bought this stuff ages ago. It's thin, uncoated, and everything but see-through, and the ink performed spectacularly. Of course, I had to try it on my best Clairefontaine, and the results…took my breath away.IMG_0153.jpg IMG_0154.jpg IMG_0155.jpg That's a money shot, people.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ceilidh

Ceilidh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2014 - 20:03

Very nice hand!

#3 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 22:21

Very nice hand!

Thank you very much! 

#4 Gilberto Castaneda

Gilberto Castaneda

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:35

The pen, the pen, show the pen.

Nib, nib, show the nib.

G

Gilberto Castańeda

#5 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:31

That's the pen, the pen indeed!IMG_0113.jpg

#6 MusinkMan

MusinkMan

Music and Ink and Man; A Musinkman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 20:30

Nice writing, Presto!

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

#7 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:56

Great job! Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#8 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:23

Nice writing, Presto!

Thank you, Brian!

#9 GeekyGirl

GeekyGirl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 00:50

Your script is stunning, as is the ink. I just ordered this ink as well as Noodler's Dromgoole Steele Blue. If what I see online is correct, they are similar but the blue suede tends to the greener side of the spectrum and the steel blue to the blue side of the spectrum--though some of the same shades of color are evident in the shading of each ink. You might like this one too, but it's a Dromgoole's exclusive color.

Thanks for posting this. It helped validate my purchase decision.

Edited by GeekyGirl, 02 April 2014 - 03:25.

#10 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:13

Beautiful- simply beautiful. 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#11 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:11

I was thinking about buying this ink yesterday and decided to check out FPN first. Thanks, I will now buy it.

#12 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 18:27

Your script is stunning, as is the ink. I just ordered this ink as well as Noodler's Dromgoole Steele Blue. If what I see online is correct, they are similar but the blue suede tends to the greener side of the spectrum and the steel blue to the blue side of the spectrum--though some of the same shades of color are evident in the shading of each ink. You might like this one too, but it's a Dromgoole's exclusive color.

Thanks for posting this. It helped validate my purchase decision.

Hey, thanks. I'm glad you liked what I made up. Oh, if you're interested in flex writing, did you take my poll?

#13 PrestoTenebroso

PrestoTenebroso

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 18:28

I was thinking about buying this ink yesterday and decided to check out FPN first. Thanks, I will now buy it.

Excellent. I'm developing an inexpensive, high performance flex pen and could use some feedback. Do you think you could take my poll?

#14 GeekyGirl

GeekyGirl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 19:30

Hey, thanks. I'm glad you liked what I made up. Oh, if you're interested in flex writing, did you take my poll?

I did indeed.

#15 The penner

The penner

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 19:53

My PR Ebony Purple is good for copperplate, and that's pretty much all I use it for. It's kind of nasty.

K.M.J

#16 GeekyGirl

GeekyGirl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 19:56

My PR Ebony Purple is good for copperplate, and that's pretty much all I use it for. It's kind of nasty.

I know what you mean. Is sure is beautiful though.

#17 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 21:14

Really? I just received a sample and I've enjoyed it.  What didn't you like about it?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#18 The penner

The penner

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 21:46

I don't know if it's because I've let it sit around for years, but it's been this way for as far back as I can remember...

It is ridiculously saturated. You know that sheen that a housefly has on its back? That's the way it looks on paper when undiluted. The pens I use it with can never be flushed clean no matter how hard I try, and each consequent ink I put in it becomes purpley. 

I opened some notes from years ago and I touched the writing... it smeared badly. Couldn't get it off my skin for the next little while. I used to do calligraphy on my friends sometimes (because one gets bored of paper after a while) and they'd be walking around for the next few days with my writing on them. 

I tried filling a pen with water one time after it had run out of the ebony purple. This time I could see the ebony purple, rather than the housefly black. I did this for a SECOND time when it ran out of THAT, and it still wrote acceptably.

Stuff's like radioactive fallout, pens take a while to recover. 

If you like it, please continue liking it, but I don't, for most applications.

K.M.J

#19 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 22:28

So you are speaking of Ebony Purple's behavior and not BSC?

I admit I like ridiculously saturated.  

#20 GeekyGirl

GeekyGirl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2014 - 23:15

Really? I just received a sample and I've enjoyed it.  What didn't you like about it?

If we're talking about Ebony Purple, this is my issue with it. This ink will never see any pen except for a Platinum Preppy. I will say, however, that I really do love the color and the concept for this color. And it looks lovely coming out of the Preppy nib. I'm just scared to let it touch any other pens that I own.

Attached Images

• PR Ebony Purple.JPG

Edited by GeekyGirl, 04 May 2014 - 23:17.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: private reserve, blue suede, review, copperplate, waterman, clairefontaine

Sponsored Content

|