45 replies to this topic

#1 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 18:50

When the ink first made contact with the paper, I thought: "It is green!" It seems like something Sonia_Simone would like.

Paper: Clairefontaine
Title and Abraham Lincoln quote written with Mabie Todd super needle flex.
All other writing is done by same dip pen.

Attached Images

• liedethe.jpg

Edited by umenohana, 25 February 2007 - 19:07.

My little website of illustrations

Last updated Saturday, 24 Feb. 2007.
(Two new H. P. Lovecraft links have been added.)
Wow-- I've 2000 hits, thanks to all the wonderful visitors from over 30 different countries!

#2 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 18:52

It shades pretty decently, but it's not as dramatic as Café des Îles since Lie de Thé is darker.

Attached Images

• liedetheshade.jpg

Wow-- I've 2000 hits, thanks to all the wonderful visitors from over 30 different countries!

#3 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 18:54

Thé looks green when compared with Café, but brown when compared with Army Green and Alt-Goldgrün.

Attached Images

• liedetheswatch.jpg

#4 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 18:57

Here's how the coffee and tea ink shadings compare. (written with dip pen; keep in mind both colors are lighter when written with FP) Tea seems to feather a little bit, but I'm sure it wouldn't do that with a FP.

Attached Images

• liedethecoffee.jpg

Edited by umenohana, 25 February 2007 - 19:05.

#5 HyperCamper

HyperCamper

Supreme hoarder of Penman inks

• Member - Gold

• 989 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 19:27

Very nice review! As always. happy.gif
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."
- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau
Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red
Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

#6 wackyjacky1

wackyjacky1

desperate, but not serious

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2007 - 19:57

QUOTE (HyperCamper @ Feb 25 2007, 01:27 PM)
Very nice review! As always. happy.gif

Yes, thank you so much for these.

I don't know which I like better, the reviews or the handwriting. Both are gorgeous! smile.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 21:49

Thanks for the review.

I just got a bottle of the "Lie de The" to try. Frankly, I just don't know what to think. When it is fresh on paper, it frankly looks like something I might dig out of the cat's litter box. That green-brown color ... blink.gif My efforts have dried on paper to an odd grey color that looks initially like a vintage ink. But when I write a whole paragraph with it, the ink just looks putrid.

I will try this ink some more to give it another chance, but I think I will stick with the "Cafe des Iles" for it more pleasant brown color. I have not had any feathering issues with the Cafe des Iles. The Cafe des Iles also dries with a lovely frame or border around each ink stroke - if I am explaining this quality of the ink at all well! - that presents on paper beautifully. It is here that I regret I have not yet gotten up to speed with digital photography.

Keep up the good reviews.

#8 goldkiwi

goldkiwi

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 23:21

I had such high hopes for this ink, based on swatches I'd seen online, as well as the name (I love tea!) But when my sample arrived from Pear Tree Pens, I have to agree, I was disappointed by how green it was! At first I thought that my pen hadn't been flushed properly, but I tried dipping a few others and they all came out a light greenish brown... I was hoping for more of a reddish brown, the colour of an actual cup of black tea! The colour itself isn't horrible, but it wasn't what I wanted sad.gif Interestingly though, when I was rinsing out the pen later, the rinse water was exactly the colour that I wanted, as if my rinse cup was filled with tea...
Posted Image Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

#9 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 23:40

Thank you all for the comments. biggrin.gif

I just wrote on a postcard to my penpal, and look how weird the ink looks on it:

Attached Images

• liedethesalz.jpg

#10 sonia_simone

sonia_simone

Jammie Dodger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:54

You are right, hana, I do like Lie de Thé! I have my favorite mix of FPN Galileo with Walnut loaded at the moment, and I can't quite justify having two pens with brown ink, but as soon as that pen runs out I think I will put some Lie de Thé in my Pelikan White Tortoise. (My favorite Golden Brown ink has turned on me, and I haven't yet had a chance to replace it.)
Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!
--The Tick

#11 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:08

QUOTE (sonia_simone @ Feb 25 2007, 05:54 PM)
You are right, hana, I do like Lie de Thé! I have my favorite mix of FPN Galileo with Walnut loaded at the moment, and I can't quite justify having two pens with brown ink, but as soon as that pen runs out I think I will put some Lie de Thé in my Pelikan White Tortoise. (My favorite Golden Brown ink has turned on me, and I haven't yet had a chance to replace it.)

I remembered what you said:

I've always liked weird murky colors. Noodler's makes me really happy. Any time someone says about an ink, "It looks like something in my kid's diaper" I put it on my ink exchange wish list immediately.

--The diaper part was esp. memorable. LOL roflmho.gif

-Hana

#12 futhark

futhark

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flag:

I mentioned this in an earlier thread on Herbin inks, but I think the correlation between online color swatches and actual ink colors is the worst for Herbin products. Lie de The looked great to me on the screen, but I have to agree that on paper it brought to mind various waste products....

Which is too bad, because as Hana's beautiful examples show, Herbin inks have a wonderful watercolor shading.

#13 Margana

Margana

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,993 posts
  • Flag:

QUOTE (umenohana @ Feb 25 2007, 03:40 PM)
Thank you all for the comments. biggrin.gif

I just wrote on a postcard to my penpal, and look how weird the ink looks on it:

I think that looks gorgeous. I'd be very happy with those results and always enjoy an ink that shows outlines.

I bought a bottle of Lie de Thé over a year ago but the color leans slight more towards red rather than green. I wonder if Herbin has changed the formula?
A certified Inkophile

#14 maryannemoll

maryannemoll

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 980 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:11

QUOTE (umenohana @ Feb 25 2007, 11:40 PM)
Thank you all for the comments.  biggrin.gif

That looks strange. How come theere is a "border" our "outline" that has been created?

Very informative review, by the way. smile.gif

Edited by maryannemoll, 26 February 2007 - 02:12.

#15 Jared

Jared

Italics of many sorts

• Member - Gold

• 839 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:13

Lovely writing! Lie de The is also one of my favorites. Any chance you have a photo of the nib you used to write that with?

Thanks,
Jared

#16 umenohana

umenohana

Super-needlepoint flex!

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:16

QUOTE (Jared @ Feb 25 2007, 07:13 PM)
Lovely writing! Lie de The is also one of my favorites. Any chance you have a photo of the nib you used to write that with?

Thanks,
Jared

Here you go. Thank you. biggrin.gif

-Hana

#17 Jared

Jared

Italics of many sorts

• Member - Gold

• 839 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:45

Thanks, that's wonderful! If only I could write like that...

Jared

#18 sonia_simone

sonia_simone

Jammie Dodger

• Member - Gold

• 2,043 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:31

Hana that is hilarious! I forgot I'd said that.
Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!
--The Tick

#19 demeter

demeter

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 18:20

Scan of the ink seems quite true to the colour that comes out of my pens. I like this brown after writing with it for awhile. My first impression is that it was a bit washed out, but I was mainly using black and blues.
It has character, for sure.

Andrew

#20 petra

petra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 862 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 22:45

hmm... actually, it has a similar kind of quality to Noodlers Lawrence, although much less saturated...

Petra

[Sponsored Content]