Pelikan Price Increases

MarkTrain

Anybody notice that Pelikan raised their prices again. The M800 lists now at $715 whereas before it was $650 (10% increase). Noticed a couple of dealers (US) had raised their prices, although some dealers have not done so yet.

Mark

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillH

• fplover01

• parnesh

• sargetalon

:angry:

"Well, at least being into pens isn't a gross habit. Like smoking or whatever."

"Ahh, thanks?"

-My coworker Christine.

When was the last time prices getting raised?

The last really big increase was in 2012, 20%+. There have been a lot of smaller increases 5 -10%. Looking back at my Art Brown catalogs I show the pricing history for the M800 over that last five years:

2010 $485

2011 $500

2012 $525

2013 $635

2014 $650

March 2014 $715

As commented by somebody else, the model number is now a designation of price, in fact the M205 now lists right at $205.

Edited by MarkTrain

Unfortunately, these pens are really starting to get out of hand with pricing. One of the reasons I love Pelikans is that they are great pens and still at an accessible price. The high prices that the Montblancs command just because they are Montblanc really turns me off to that brand. If Pelikan continues to go in that direction, I think they will lose a little something.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Unfortunately, these pens are really starting to get out of hand with pricing. One of the reasons I love Pelikans is that they are great pens and still at an accessible price. The high prices that the Montblancs command just because they are Montblanc really turns me off to that brand. If Pelikan continues to go in that direction, I think they will lose a little something.

This is why we should continue seeking their vintage pens. :-)

Did it ever happen that prices got decreased?

This increment of prices makes adding pens to my collection a little bit difficult :(

The last really big increase was in 2012, 20%+. There have been a lot of smaller increases 5 -10%. Looking back at my Art Brown catalogs I show the pricing history for the M800 over that last five years:

2010 $485

2011 $500

2012 $525

2013 $635

2014 $650

March 2014 $715

As commented by somebody else, the model number is now a designation of price, in fact the M205 now lists right at $205.

Edited by herberteuler

I don't see how it helps them as a brand, and I hope they're not trying to be like Montblanc, because there can be only one Montblanc. You can't enter the high end by just raising prices year after year without actually improving anything.

It's just going to keep more people away from their offerings.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Used is the way to fly.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The price of gold has gone up, yes, but otherwise I see no justification for such continuing price rises. Gouging, do you think?

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

It is the Obamacare increase. Gotta be.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

I don't see how it helps them as a brand, and I hope they're not trying to be like Montblanc, because there can be only one Montblanc. You can't enter the high end by just raising prices year after year without actually improving anything.

It's just going to keep more people away from their offerings.

Yeah. Another price increase like this one and the M1000 will be right up there with a new MB149, but without the popular cachet of a Montblanc. It's a little worrisome that they took out the obliques and BBs+ and are increasing prices again. Used is always an option, but I wonder where Pelikan's headed.

The price of gold has gone up, yes, but otherwise I see no justification for such continuing price rises. Gouging, do you think?

When gold dropped last year I had a small hope that prices on gold nibs would follow, too, or that at least prices would stay the same. Not happening here! :lol:

lightless

The price increase is worrisome, especially for all of the excellent points outlined above. I mean really -- Pelikan is going to end up alienating a large number of its collectors, or, maybe just as bad -- forcing some of us to buy less pens per year...IDK. I really wish we had more data/input from people who had the information straight from the factory. I wonder if this new "luxury" strategy is being forced by the German side of the operation or the Malaysian owners. If you look at the Pelikan brand facebook or some of the latest advertising materials, they are definitely trying to 'luxe' it up, while at the same time capture a wide market. But I don't see how both can happen.

I haven't bought a Pelikan in a long while because of the price and I have more Pelikans than any other brand. It's a shame because the product is generally pretty good. For the (over)price of a new Pelikan you can can get a great vintage one.

"A man's maturity consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play."

Friedrich Nietzsche

kelsonbarber.wordpress.com

Whether or not this price rise is also responsible for the prices of second-hand pens, I cannot say; but I <do> notice that on ebay there are now plenty of 100s and 400s being offered from places like Bulgaria, Roumania and parts of the former Yugoslavia and very often these are <poor> specimens with visible damage or faults (tortured nibs!) Perhaps these sellers have just recently discovered the joys of selling per this route (who knows?); but I shall not be buying anything else from that region...

There is <one> seller I trust implicitly; but he is an engineer, very straight-forward and <loves> pens -- my beautiful Kaweco Dia (1930s) came from him. He is based in Germany, so slightly different.

Has anyone else noticed this trend?

I haven't bought a Pelikan in a long while because of the price and I have more Pelikans than any other brand. It's a shame because the product is generally pretty good. For the (over)price of a new Pelikan you can can get a great vintage one.

I am in the exact same boat. I regularly bought 5 to 6 Pelikans per year for quite awhile but stopped cold turkey a few years ago because of the ridiculous price increases. I now only purchase other brands which I believe offer a much better value. Its a shame because Pelikans are a terrific fountain pen, and were my favorite brand. I would bet there are a lot of fountain pen aficionados behaving the same way as we are and Pelikan is steadily losing market. Hopefully this is not being offset by the extra profit they make per sale or the price increases will continue. Maybe Pelikan will eventually come to its senses, Historically, their marketing plan was to make a great fountain pen at a reasonable price. This plan was very successful, but they have now decided to make a great fountain pen at an exorbitant price.

Pelikan pens were, and still are my favorite pen designs, but this is just getting absurd. I remember back in 2007 I bought an M300 at a nice brick and mortar shop in Korea for about $150, and now the same store's online page sells it for $420. Part of the reason I decided to try a different maker for my newest pen addition.

Pelikan pens were, and still are my favorite pen designs, but this is just getting absurd. I remember back in 2007 I bought an M300 at a nice brick and mortar shop in Korea for about $150, and now the same store's online page sells it for $420. Part of the reason I decided to try a different maker for my newest pen addition.

A 3-fold increase in 7 years. Ridiculous.

This increase will hurt Pelikan more than any other brand because of so many vintage pens in circulation.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts