The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Storing Vintage Pens With Rubber Sacs/diaphragms

vacumatic rubber diaphragm sac

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Murky

Murky

Ink-ready-ble

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 15:46

Hello,

I tried looking around for a related topic, but couldn't find one that answered my question...If I store a vintage pen, after I clean it thoroughly of course, and it has a rubber sac (Eversharp Skyline, Esterbrook J etc) or a rubber diaphragm (Parker Vacumatic, "51" Vac), is there any danger that the rubber will ossify and crumble after a period of time spent in storage? Thank you.

Cheers,

Dragos

Edited by dragos.mocanu, 05 March 2014 - 15:47.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Sponsored Content

#2 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 15:50

Yes and no.  Yes because eventually all of these rubber parts will dry up, rot or melt. No because this is a lengthy process and if you have had them replaced in recent years you should have many (10-30) years of service before they quit performing their intended function.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#3 Murky

Murky

Ink-ready-ble

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 16:14

Yes and no.  Yes because eventually all of these rubber parts will dry up, rot or melt. No because this is a lengthy process and if you have had them replaced in recent years you should have many (10-30) years of service before they quit performing their intended function.

That is very nice to know! They have indeed been restored quite recently, but I've always been somewhat afraid to store them. Thank you for the answer.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

#4 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 19:45

The latex will go bad weather they are in storage or in use.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vacumatic, rubber, diaphragm, sac

Sponsored Content

|