What ink(s) have you used in your Lamy 2000

MYU

Ok, no "formal" poll here (mainly because the polling mechanism doesn't allow multiple selections--feh!).

Of all Lamy 2000 owners participating on FPN, can you list the inks that you've used with your Lamy 2000 and comment on how well they work? Are there any "danger" inks? I think this would be useful information for us Lamy 2000 owners.

My inks:

Lamy - I've used two different Lamy inks (blue and blue-black) and they work very well. No leaks, no skipping, nice even opaque lines.

Namiki - Your standard jet-black ink; it works quite well--similar to Lamy ink.

Noodler's Nightshade - Works without leaks. Line opacity varies, though. I'd use it for a letter, but not for taking notes.

Aurora - Standard blue; it works well with some slight opacity variation.

Waterman - Standard blue; too watery.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidM1

• jkrewalk

• MYU

• Kelly G

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had my 2000 around 25 years, and to date have never had ink issues with it. However, I've never used anything but 'big name' inks. Lots of Quink, Lamy, Montblanc, Waterman, and probably some Sheaffer. I never heard of PR and Noodler's until about a year ago and have never put either in mine.

I just received my 2000 a few days ago, and am still on the first fill of Noodler's Midnight Blue. It works beautifully on decent paper, but spreads very wide on inexpensive paper. The ink is great, a dark blue with some very nice shading.

Noodler's black works very well and the pen lays down a wet and very black line without any skipping. The pen starts reliably even after sitting idle for a few minutes. Only problem I had with this ink is a little nib creep.

I;ve heard some really good things about Aurora black, so I'd like to give that a try. I need a permanent ink, so I'm considering trying to mix Noodler's and Aurora black inks and see how that works out.

Jason's current rotation:

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

I've tried three: Lamy Blue, Waterman Florida Blue, Parker Quink Blue.

The best of these has been Lamy Blue. The others left too much ink on the page and with Florida Blue I had a little leaking that disappeared after Lamy Blue went back in. I think the quest might be for slower inks for the Lamy 2000.

DavidM1

Waterman Blue Black

Quink Blue Black - both vintage and modern

All work fine. The pen writes a wet line, but not too wet for my taste.

My 2000 has a M nib.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I've tried Lamy Blue Black and Private Reserve Velvet Black. The Private Reserve Velvet Black works much better putting down a much more even line that dries to a glossy shine. I love it! The Lamy Blue Black did not give me even lines and there was a lot of variation and inconsistency. It also dried dull.

QUOTE (Kelly G @ Feb 26 2007, 07:58 AM)
The pen writes a wet line, but not too wet for my taste.
My 2000 has a M nib.

I'd love to see a writing sample of the Lamy 2000 M nib. Is there any chance you could post one? I'm planning on swapping out my EF nib for another and the M is one I'm curious about.

cheers,

David

DavidM1

Right now I have Noodler's Aircorp Blue-Black in my Lamy 2000 XF. It puts down a fine to medium line on Moleskine paper and a fine line on Ampad Gold Fibre paper. The ink flow in generous and I do seem to get a bit of nib creep as well.

John

QUOTE (jkrewalk @ Feb 25 2007, 04:08 PM)
I've tried Lamy Blue Black and Private Reserve Velvet Black. The Private Reserve Velvet Black works much better putting down a much more even line that dries to a glossy shine. I love it! The Lamy Blue Black did not give me even lines and there was a lot of variation and inconsistency. It also dried dull.

Curious. I have used Lamy Blue-Black and had little variation in line density. Noodler's Nightshade on the other hand exhibited a lot of variation. Now that I've got a Moleskine pad, I'll have to experiment a bit.

Does the Private Reserve Velvet Black dry at a good rate?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

yes - it dries very quickly- no problems with drying. Although curious as you say - I am sure that the slight variation from batch to batch of Lamy ink coupled with the slightest (measured in microns) variation from nib to nib would account for two slightly different results.

On another note: How do you like your moleskin pad? I am about to buy one and was wondering if it is a good idea or whether a Red&Black notebook would be a better choice.

Noodler's Black

Waterman Black

Waterman Blue Black

Pelikan Brilliant Black

All worked well. The Noodler's is my favorite. I too love Aurora Black (I use it in cartridges in my Parker Reflex) and I too am wondering how an Aurora Noodlers mix would work.

The best ink so far for my Lamy 2000 with EF nib is the Lamy Blue-Black.

Waterman Florida Blue is unusable because it just flow like a river and makes the pen write like it has a wet bold nib.

Also work well are the Lamy Blue and the Quink washable Blue.