The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help Identifying Authentic Or Fake And Model?

mont blanc 75th annieersary

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beauchesne

beauchesne

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:13

I recently acquired this pen on ebay and can't identify what model it is and also question if it is authentic. It is very tiny, 4.47" long and the barrel diameter is .375". 

The clip ring has a serial no EV1027726  

This is the wording from the listing:

100% authentic Montblanc 75th Anniversary fountain pen 14 kt nib, diamond in the 75 years of passion(in the o).  Approx 4 3/8" L.  Needs refill of ink.  Pen is in great condition.  No papers or box. A little bit of an ink stain on nib, I am sure this will come off gold. 

any help would be appreciated, I am new to collecting and have jumped in with both feet, and have purchased a couple of known fake MB pens to help me to identify the quality difference, its baffling how these impostors can get away with these copies.

Attached Images

• $_574.jpg
  • $_57.jpg
  • $_571.jpg
  • $_573.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:40

I'm often reluctant to answer these type of questions, but this one seems pretty straightforward. So, here we go:

Firstly, you should really ask these questions before you buy.

Seller states 100% authentic. If it's not, wrongly described, full refund. If it is, congratulations.

I'm afraid, I don't know enough about the particular model to help you, from your pictures.

Other, more knowledgeable members may chip in their opinions, but the only fail-safe way is to take, or send, it to Montblanc.

Welcome to FPN.

Good luck.

#3 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:47

that one does look legit.

#4 johnkim424

johnkim424

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:00

My initial thought was fake but after further studying the pictures I am leaning toward real.  The model you have is 75th special anniversary edition of Montblanc Mozart 114.  Clear close ups of feed and nib would help determining the authenticity of your pen.

Edited by johnkim424, 03 March 2014 - 02:11.

#5 beauchesne

beauchesne

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:00

Thank you kindly for the feedback,

I can't find a reference for any MB pens this small, any idea where such a reference guide could be found based on the size of the pen?

#6 beauchesne

beauchesne

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:09

Johnkim424, what are the clues that indicate it is fake?

#7 Paul80

Paul80

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:43

One of the best clues at the moment, because AFAWK none of the fake pens have it is a small notch at the bottom of the feed.  Some fake MB pens are now almost identical with the real pen, even going so far as to being parts interchangeable between fake and genuine. 

The ones to watch out for are the 144, 145 & Starwalkers, not seen a fake 114, yet!

Modern fakes often have a serial number, they often have the correct inscription under the clip and the plastic now glows red under a bright light. The nibs are always laser etched instead of stamped but it can be so well done as to look stamped.

Paul

Edited by Paul80, 03 March 2014 - 06:44.

#8 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:26

The pen looks like an authentic Mozart 114 75th anniversary model.

The Chinese don't do a perfect version of this nib, so as long as it's gold, and is deeply stamped and not lightly engraved you can be sure it's an authentic version. They don't always laser etch them with all of the correct details.

Also, the bands are correct and in the right places.

#9 beauchesne

beauchesne

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:49

Paul80 thank you for this important information,  the feed does indeed have a notch at the bottom of the feed (near the section)  its concerning that the MB pens can be so closely copied and this unethical practice goes on unchecked.

Question what does AFAWK mean?

#10 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 14:19

Paul80 thank you for this important information,  the feed does indeed have a notch at the bottom of the feed (near the section)  its concerning that the MB pens can be so closely copied and this unethical practice goes on unchecked.

Question what does AFAWK mean?

As Far As We Know

#11 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 15:41

its concerning that the MB pens can be so closely copied and this unethical practice goes on unchecked.

Almost anything worth selling gets faked.  Hero fountain pens are counterfeited. Stuff like fake watches and fountain pens and handbags and lighters may be annoying, but you need to be aware that important stuff like medicines and brake pads and airplane engine parts are also faked. 

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mont blanc, 75th annieersary

Sponsored Content

|