Just Ordered A Romillo

Sblakers

Here's a family photo if anyone is interested. The last pen on the right came from my late fathers estate-- it's a roller ball or ball point( I don't know about non fountain pens -- lol). The pen with writing on it was a wedding gift from my wife.

The Romillo is very handsome, enjoy!...

As for your father's pen, from the cap, I can tell that it's a Tibaldi. The cap design is from the Divina series....(I had one in black...). Don't recognize the barrel design, never saw this design before...I assume it was a LE design....very well-made and substantial pens...

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sblakers

• MisterBoll

• da vinci

• mongrelnomad

Wonderful pen sblakers, thanks for the update :thumbup:

Can you give me a bit more info on the nib characteristics - nail/flexy, smooth/lots of feedback?

Bearing in mind the quality of your collection, for you to say this pen is the "one" it must be quite something!

Thank you all for the kind words. Hmm. How to describe the nib. The feel of nib to paper is very similar if not exactly the same as pelikan 100's montblanc 13x and waterman 58 nibs I've used . My 139 has more flex but the feel or feedback is the same. I had a waterman 58 with a very rigid nib( one of my all time favorites) the Romillo has more flex but the same feedback. I can't really put my finger on it, but when I compare any vintage nib (50's and earlier) to modern day nibs it's not only the flex that seperates them. Some how the Romillo captured that same feel. Best way to describe it, if you took a waterman 58 rigid nib and compared it to a pelikan 1000 you would know the difference. The pelikan will feel springy'er of flexy'er but you would be able to feel the difference between a vintage nib and modern nib. I know that's probably not the best example.

If a few words, the nib is very smooth with very specific feed back. With pressure I can get some tine spread. So it's not a nail. It's a very unique writing experience for a modern day nib.

Edited by Sblakers

The Romillo is very handsome, enjoy!...

As for your father's pen, from the cap, I can tell that it's a Tibaldi. The cap design is from the Divina series....(I had one in black...). Don't recognize the barrel design, never saw this design before...I assume it was a LE design....very well-made and substantial pens...

Thanks archi for that bit of insight :)

What a sweet pen! Congrats on finding one that measures above all others, and with your group of pens that is really saying something! I've looked for a long time at both Hakase and Romillo and, until now, was thinking mostly about springing for a Hakase. Looks like I'm headed back to the drawing board.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

What a sweet pen! Congrats on finding one that measures above all others, and with your group of pens that is really saying something! I've looked for a long time at both Hakase and Romillo and, until now, was thinking mostly about springing for a Hakase. Looks like I'm headed back to the drawing board.

Thanks!

The Romillo is truly unique. I love that everything is hand made. The only thing about hakase that I've had a hard time getting over is the fact that it's a converter pen and they use pilot nibs. Both of which are fine, but when you are paying that kind of money for a hand made pen I'd like the whole thing hand made. This is definitely not a insult to hakase ( I love their pens) but the Romillo is in an entirely different league.

vvery nice! what's the big red woodgrain pen in the middle?

Oh wow.. thats too funny, I didn't even notice that. Ebonite, celluloid, wood, lava..
Thank you for the kind words. My collection isn't very big, i only have 6 other pens in my collection, I've narrowed it down to pens I love. Sorry for the poor picture quality, I am using my iPad mini =(

Here's a family photo if anyone is interested. The last pen on the right came from my late fathers estate-- it's a roller ball or ball point( I don't know about non fountain pens -- lol). The pen with writing on it was a wedding gift from my wife.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Sblakers/imagejpg1_zpsb68ce6b9.jpg

Picture of nibs
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/Sblakers/imagejpg1_zpsabe7cb0c.jpg

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

vvery nice! what's the big red woodgrain pen in the middle?

The red wood pen is a cocobolo hakase.

Huge congrats! Have been pining for a Romillo myself, and your purchase only feeds the flame:)

On a side note, can you tell me what pen is the third one from the left?

j

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

Huge congrats! Have been pining for a Romillo myself, and your purchase only feeds the flame:)

On a side note, can you tell me what pen is the third one from the left?

j

Hi playtime and thank you. The pen you are wondering about is a Tom westerich made Goldfink Edited by Sblakers

The pen you are wondering about is a Tom westerich made Goldfink

Another delightful pen. Sblakers you've got the nicest collection of pens I've seen on here. A good amount and some wonderful pens. It all goes to show that quantity means nothing.

Wow! Great collection you have there.

You must be getting tired of this, but could you tell us what are the two pens to the right of the Hakase? They look beautiful and I can't identify them off the top of my head.

Thank you misterboll, thank you shuuemura :). I don't think I could ever get tired of talking about pens! The two pens to the right of the hakase are ohashi-do --the black one is ebonite, the swirl green is urushi. My pictures are so bad not sure you can see the color though.

Edited by Sblakers

Sblakers - you know what I feel about your pens, but I'll say it again: an awesome, and very left-field collection.

I can't wait for my Nervion 9 to arrive. Finally specced it and paid, now all I have to do is wait. It's no secret that my Hakases are simply the best pens I've ever used; if the Romillo comes anywhere close I'll be delighted.

Enjoy the pens - you have wonderful taste.

On a related note: how do you like the Goldfink? I tried to get in touch with Tom a few times, but he never replied to my eMails...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Thank you all for the kind words. Hmm. How to describe the nib. The feel of nib to paper is very similar if not exactly the same as pelikan 100's montblanc 13x and waterman 58 nibs I've used . My 139 has more flex but the feel or feedback is the same. I had a waterman 58 with a very rigid nib( one of my all time favorites) the Romillo has more flex but the same feedback. I can't really put my finger on it, but when I compare any vintage nib (50's and earlier) to modern day nibs it's not only the flex that seperates them. Some how the Romillo captured that same feel. Best way to describe it, if you took a waterman 58 rigid nib and compared it to a pelikan 1000 you would know the difference. The pelikan will feel springy'er of flexy'er but you would be able to feel the difference between a vintage nib and modern nib. I know that's probably not the best example.

If a few words, the nib is very smooth with very specific feed back. With pressure I can get some tine spread. So it's not a nail. It's a very unique writing experience for a modern day nib.

Thank you for the considered response. If I ever get to the point of buying one of these (and I yearn for the day I find "the one") then I will bear this in mind. I am rather a fan of a nib that leans more toward nail than soft, and I am in the camp of preferring line variation from nib shape rather than flex. This will need to be explored before the credit card is presented! :)

On a related note: how do you like the Goldfink? I tried to get in touch with Tom a few times, but he never replied to my eMails...

Not to hijack but I figured you could use another opinion - the Goldfink is a lovely pen, chunky in a good way, and very light weight. It is very unique.

Thank you Mongrelnomad and congrats on your purchase. I am excited to hear what you think and even more excited to read your review of it :). Your writing is so captivating I have a feeling you will sell me on a pen I'm already sold on haha. As far as the Goldfink, I agree with misterboll. It's strange though. I have fairly large hands and the Goldfink is very comfortable to hold but after a few minutes it becomes uncomfortable. I really like the way it writes but because of this strange thing the pen has been relegated to eye candy.

Da Vinci. The neat thing about Romiilo pens is they can make you a firm nib and give you a tip any size you like. I know they do various CI nibs.

Congrats on your Romillo, Sblaker, waiting for mine :puddle:

Nice! When you receive it would you be so kind as to post some pics as well ?