The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sheaffer Snorkel Leaking Like Crazy

sheaffer snorkel repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JaeFru

JaeFru

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:12

Hi all,

I have a Sheaffer Snorkel that was lovely and my favourite writer.  Unfortunately, it started to leak a little, then a lot.  I tried to empty out the ink, figuring that then I could send it somewhere for repairs, or just take the next step.

What I'm wondering now is whether or not it is possible for me to safely take apart the pen without owning any specialty tools to do so.  I haven't fiddled with it before, so I'm a bit nervous.  I'm wondering if it's a matter of the sac springing a leak or something.  (It started out as a leak through the slit, then became a major leak through slit, and finally seemed to be leaking out of the bottom, as well.)

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Content

#2 josephchow42

josephchow42

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:18

Sounds like it needs a sac replacement. A very detailed youtube nib on servicing a snorkel can be found here. Watch it and evaluate whether you wanna do it yourself. 

phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

#3 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:31

In a word, NO. If you haven't already done less complicated pens, you *don't* want to start your restoration skills with a Snorkel. Besides needing some pretty specialized tools to take it apart and clean it, you are going to not only need to replace a sac but some seals as well, and you'll have to source those.

These are great pens, but they most definitely need either someone who is very good at working with tools and small projects, or sending it to a dedicated pen repairperson. The latter would definitely be well worth it.

BTW: I just picked up the 3rd edition of "Pen Repair" by Marshall/Oldfield. Most of the pens detailed in the book take one, or maybe two pages to go over repair procedures; the Snorkel, including the original and the PFM, takes five pages. I think that says something. You should also take a long look at the numerous Snorkel entries in Richard Binder's reference pages, especially the pages on Snorkel repair. That should tell you whether or not it is something you should tackle yourself.

Edited by JonSzanto, 01 March 2014 - 04:38.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#4 JaeFru

JaeFru

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:19

Oh, wow.  So that doesn't sound super promising, then.  Ah well, thank you for all the resources and the input!

#5 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 17:26

I've done a couple Snorkels, and they are tricky to work on, and without appropriate tools are VERY difficult to to work on. And can be damaged if you make a mistake.  I would send it to one of the several pen techs to repair ASAP.

The issue is, if it is indeed a broken sac, you now have ink sitting on metal parts in the barrel. 

Leave it too long and the metal will start to rust/corrode, and that is NOT good.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, snorkel, repair

Sponsored Content

|