Sheaffer Snorkel Leaking Like Crazy

JaeFru

Hi all,

I have a Sheaffer Snorkel that was lovely and my favourite writer. Unfortunately, it started to leak a little, then a lot. I tried to empty out the ink, figuring that then I could send it somewhere for repairs, or just take the next step.

What I'm wondering now is whether or not it is possible for me to safely take apart the pen without owning any specialty tools to do so. I haven't fiddled with it before, so I'm a bit nervous. I'm wondering if it's a matter of the sac springing a leak or something. (It started out as a leak through the slit, then became a major leak through slit, and finally seemed to be leaking out of the bottom, as well.)

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JaeFru

• JonSzanto

• ac12

• josephchow42

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it needs a sac replacement. A very detailed youtube nib on servicing a snorkel can be found here. Watch it and evaluate whether you wanna do it yourself.

http://josephchow42.smugmug.com/SmugPreview/FPN/i-RXgD3pQ/0/O/phpPA0FkQPM.jpg

In a word, NO. If you haven't already done less complicated pens, you *don't* want to start your restoration skills with a Snorkel. Besides needing some pretty specialized tools to take it apart and clean it, you are going to not only need to replace a sac but some seals as well, and you'll have to source those.

These are great pens, but they most definitely need either someone who is very good at working with tools and small projects, or sending it to a dedicated pen repairperson. The latter would definitely be well worth it.

BTW: I just picked up the 3rd edition of "Pen Repair" by Marshall/Oldfield. Most of the pens detailed in the book take one, or maybe two pages to go over repair procedures; the Snorkel, including the original and the PFM, takes five pages. I think that says something. You should also take a long look at the numerous Snorkel entries in Richard Binder's reference pages, especially the pages on Snorkel repair. That should tell you whether or not it is something you should tackle yourself.

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Oh, wow. So that doesn't sound super promising, then. Ah well, thank you for all the resources and the input!

I've done a couple Snorkels, and they are tricky to work on, and without appropriate tools are VERY difficult to to work on. And can be damaged if you make a mistake. I would send it to one of the several pen techs to repair ASAP.

The issue is, if it is indeed a broken sac, you now have ink sitting on metal parts in the barrel.

Leave it too long and the metal will start to rust/corrode, and that is NOT good.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com