The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Best Way To Clean Lamy 2000?

lamy cleaning

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 17:00

I take mine apart, but I am careful with the parts and careful not to over tighten on re-assembly. I don't like operating the piston mechanism so many times in order to flush it out completely. 

Sponsored Content

#22 BillZ

BillZ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 14:29

Just stumbled upon this thread. Very interesting as I have a pre-owned 2000. Do all of the Lamy nibs interchange? I have a couple of Safaris with extra nibs.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

#23 Snoutmol

Snoutmol

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:24

Just stumbled upon this thread. Very interesting as I have a pre-owned 2000. Do all of the Lamy nibs interchange? I have a couple of Safaris with extra nibs.

No, the 2000 has a unique nib that can't be interchanged with the Safari nibs. I hear it can actually be pretty difficult to get a hold of a new 2000 nib. You have to send it in to Lamy for repair to get one, or go to a shop and have it fixed with a new one, whereas you can just buy a Safari nib online.

Edited by Snoutmol, 10 December 2015 - 16:29.

#24 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 4,756 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 16:30

I just stumbled across this too. I've just bought a steel nibbed Lamy Ratio to try a nib swap for a laugh.

A friend assured me it's fit and for £12 delivered, almost nothing to lose as I could resell if not.

I'll keep you posted.

#25 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 4,756 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2015 - 15:07

Lamy Ratio. £12. Both feed and nib seem interchangeable with my 2K.

:)  :)  :)

RESULT !!

#26 kapanak

kapanak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 16:33

Lamy Ratio. £12. Both feed and nib seem interchangeable with my 2K.

:)  :)  :)

RESULT !!

Thanks for the find! After some research, I have found that the stainless steel and 14K gold nib before the newest Lamy nibs will fit all Ratio pens, later Lamy 27 and 99 pens (27/30, 27/31, 27/32, 99/36. 99/37), Lamy Special, Lamy 25P, 26P, 68, 69, most Artus hooded nib models, and Lamy 2000. All their nibs seem interchangeable.

#27 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 18:30

This document makes me think a pen flush containing 10 percent ammonia would not be the best of matches for the Lamy 2000, made of Makrolon, which is a Bayer-branded polycarbonate. Maybe just water and a drop of detergent.

Perhaps one of our FPN members with a chemical background could elaborate. Many pens are made from polycarbonate, and avoiding a flush solution with ammonia is probably being overly conservative.

http://www.wilkerson...FRL-TEC-600.pdf

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456

JAPAN

Stationery

INDIA

ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica

UK

Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA

Bexley Prometheus

INK

Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa

EXPERIMENTS

Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#28 kapanak

kapanak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 20:16

This document makes me think a pen flush containing 10 percent ammonia would not be the best of matches for the Lamy 2000, made of Makrolon, which is a Bayer-branded polycarbonate. Maybe just water and a drop of detergent.

Perhaps one of our FPN members with a chemical background could elaborate. Many pens are made from polycarbonate, and avoiding a flush solution with ammonia is probably being overly conservative.

I've never had to flush my old Lamy 2000 with ammonia. After disassembly, a tiny bit of dish soup and warm water gets even the toughest inks out for me. Never had any issues that required the heavy washing with ammonia :)

#29 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 22:12

Does the Lamy maintenance booklet say something about this?

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#30 sagitis

sagitis

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 01:48

In the past i have two lamy disassembled it to clean and broke after 6 months.

I never drop the pen but it is either the thread is lose or the joint is broken. However I do confess both pen took a lot of abuse for two years (always use it for work, take notes, draft contracts) 

Just a 2 cent for lamy2000 never disassemble the pen

Edited by sagitis, 14 April 2016 - 01:48.

#31 Xmeromotu

Xmeromotu

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 17:58

I dropped my 2k almost immediately after getting it, which resulted in getting a paragraph's worth of ink :lol: in the cap. I flushed it with water until it came out clean, then used one of those little compressed air "power dusters" (that you use to get the grotu out of your keyboard) to blow dry the cap. I think that got the last drop or two out.

But at least it's a solid cap, so you can't see the spilled ink, as you can in, e.g., the TWSBI clear caps.

One question: why wouldn't you use the piston system to flush the reservoir? Surely that's part of the design: make the mechanism rugged enough to flush old ink from the reservoir.

I take mine apart, but I am careful with the parts and careful not to over tighten on re-assembly. I don't like operating the piston mechanism so many times in order to flush it out completely. 

#32 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2017 - 18:46

For me I just unscrew the nib section (taking great care to place the ears somewhere safe nearby!); ensure the piston is full down(up? ie So that the chamber is fully open); turn on the tap; place end of finger under tap to squeeze a jet of water into the piston; shake excess ink out; repeat until water is clear; place ears back; tighten up; finished.

Edited by Bluey, 23 February 2017 - 18:47.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, cleaning

Sponsored Content

|