Lamy 27 And Lamy 99

Hobbitgate

This is only my second post so I apologize if this isn't the correct area to ask this question. Being a relatively new fountain pen user I bought a Lamy 27 and Lamy 99. One of them works very well the other leaks a bit of ink. I was going to send it away for repair but I realized the pen I really wanted was a Lamy 2000. I'm a letter writer and just want a great pen to write with, not to become a collector. I'd like to sell these at whatever reasonable offer and use the money toward the LAMY 2000.

Is there an area I should be posting these. I'm very open to any reasonable price

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PointyThings

• Hobbitgate

• Namo

• Tadeusz

I think the classifieds area is a good place to post it. You can find it as a tab right under the "The Fountain Pen Network" logo and script at the top of the page.

Thank you. I've been doing a lot of reading all the posts and have enjoyed the Fountain Pen Network a immensely! I've been a bit quiet because I didn't want to ask some stupid questions but I think I've got my courage now to jump in. :)

Thanks again for getting back to me on this

The 27 an 99 share the same nib with the 2000 - I think at least one of them has a steel nib, which is a wonderful nib (I have one fitted on my 2000 steel). The 2000 will not be a radically betteren than, say, your 27. Maybe you should write with it a bit and see how you like it.

Welcome on FPN and congrats on your pens!

PS : have a look there:

http://ladydandelion.net/2010/03/05/lamy-27-a-review-of-a-little-gem/

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

• 3 months later...

The 27 an 99 share the same nib with the 2000 - I think at least one of them has a steel nib, which is a wonderful nib (I have one fitted on my 2000 steel). The 2000 will not be a radically betteren than, say, your 27. Maybe you should write with it a bit and see how you like it.

Jumping in late to clarify on the nib material. The 27 and 99 had 14K or 18K yellow gold nibs in all incarnations that I'm aware of. But I have found one exception in a Lamy 99Ce. This is the model with the slip on polished chrome-plated cap, made from the late 1950s to no later than 1962. This has the older style nib that is not compatible with the Lamy 2000. What made this pen strange was the nib being made from stainless steel. Until I got my hands on this pen I had never seen nor heard of a stainless steel hooded nib on a pre-1962 Lamy.

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

The stainless nibs that fit the Lamy 2K initially came from the Ratio line and were also used in these later models: 25P, 26P, 66P, 67P, 68, 69 and the Artus pens.

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

I have the lamy 2000, 27 and 99. I do like my lamys, i rally like the way you can take them apart and put them back together.

Why not keep the lamy 27 or 99 if you like them. They are all good pens, and i really love my lamy 27. I do like the lamy 27 in a colour other than black.

What did you do, did you sell the lamy 27 and 99?

• 6 months later...

no, I kept them and am using the 27 in my pen rotation. The only problem I have is that the 99 has a leaking cracked rubber "o ring" that I'm not sure can be repaired with some kind of rubber cement or crazy glue. I don't even know if those little gaffers can still be purchased somewhere ? So I've cleaned the pen and not using it for right now

no, I kept them and am using the 27 in my pen rotation. The only problem I have is that the 99 has a leaking cracked rubber "o ring" that I'm not sure can be repaired with some kind of rubber cement or crazy glue. I don't even know if those little gaffers can still be purchased somewhere ? So I've cleaned the pen and not using it for right now

Rubber cement or crazy glue won't work. But you could cut a new gasket from sheet rubber or silicone. You would probably need a punch set to do it properly.

It's possibly that a Lamy 2000 gasket might work. The inside diameter of the gasket is a little larger than the feed shaft, but it might squeeze inward when compressed. I know Lamy USA used to sell them for about $3 each. Now these parts are sold by Lamy dealers. I would still contact Lamy to see if you can locate one.

I hadn't known that the nibs on the 27 and 99 were compatible with the 2000. That's really good information. Are there any special tricks to use or things to be careful about when swapping nibs out (apart from the obvious 'take it slowly and be careful')?

I hadn't known that the nibs on the 27 and 99 were compatible with the 2000. That's really good information. Are there any special tricks to use or things to be careful about when swapping nibs out (apart from the obvious 'take it slowly and be careful')?

The simple rule on nib compatibility for the 27 and 99 with a Lamy 2000 is this: If the end of the barrel is flatter (not rounded) and the pen has a cap jewel with an "L" in it, then the nib and feed will work in your 2000.

All Ratio nibs and feeds will work in a 2000, too. Likewise for the Lamy 25P, 26P, 66P, 67P, 68, 69 and the Lamy Special.