Monte Grappa Vs Mb Fountain Pen

dmvara

I was told by a person at a pen store that Montblanc makes the better nib than say a monte grappa or cartier. I wonder if this is true or is it all in the name. I will say they are nice, but I wonder if there are others out there just as good. Hmmm

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpende

• jar

• Bananabender

• dmvara

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not true. And it seems that the sales guy does not know anything about pens. Montegrappa was formely belonging to Montblanc ... and Montegrappa pens were more expensive ... so ... it would not make sense that Montegrappa nibs would be inferior.

I have many Montblanc and Montegrappa pens in my collection and usually I prefer Montegrappa; many of them have a ebonite ink feeder ... and I really love them.

Cartier nibs are (as far as I remember) from Bock ... Montblanc bought its nibs (at least for some pens) also from Bock. So why should Bock nibs be inferior.

Still, Montblanc makes great pens ... but Montegrappa nibs are at least as good as Montblanc nibs.

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif

Montegrappa was owned for a short while by Richemont and they were made in Montblancs Milan facilities but that ended some time ago.

Montegrappa still uses hand made and fitted ebonite feeds in many of their pens where Montblanc is now using all plastic feeds.

I have a fair number of Montblanc pens but even more from Montegrappa.

Montblanc, Cartier and Alfred Dunhill are all brands owned by Richemont and are certainly high quality products. Other European marques that I'd consider as being on the same level would be Graf von Faber Castell, Caran d'Ache, Pelikan, OMAS, Aurora and Ferrari da Varese.

You can find a little about the Montegrappa pens of the last quarter century or so here.

FYI dmvara, Mont Blanc, Montegrappa, and Cartier do not make their own nibs; they design them or purchase a design and the nib is manufactured elsewhere (not true for all pen manufacturers but true for those you mentioned.)

The nib is what makes any ink pen work; the type and style of lettering is determined chiefly by the nib.

The way a nib is designed and then cut and mounted on the feed usually determines things like how much pressure you have to exert to make it work and whether or not the nib is responsive to the speed of your hand and the shape of your lettering as you write.

So ultimately the right nib for you is the one that works best on the pen you have bought, although I think this is true only for HEGS pens (high-end glossy shimmer) like MB and Mntegrappa which generally have higher gold content nibs. I have found steel nibs to be useful but to corrode and wear quickly, and to be less responsive to my hand; but that's me.

BTW Fountainpende Montegrappa never belonged to Mont Blanc though they were both owned by high-end Richemont (now Montegrappa is back with the Eagle family of Italy.) You are right however in that they both purchase their nibs from Bock.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

Montblanc does make their own nibs (meisterstuck). I've seen it myself and have self made pictures too.

Edited by Dutchpen

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

As said above, Montblanc does make its own nibs.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

montblanc no question

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

as already noted many times before ... some years ago, Montblanc also purchased many nibs from Bock and as far as I know they still buy many Limited Edition nibs

... and yes, they already produce regular nibs since some years on their own

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif