The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Good Notebook/journal Pen

suggestion help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NeCh

NeCh

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2014 - 13:15

Hi. I am looking for a good cheapish pen to go with my new sexy leather notebook cover. I have a midori pen clip medium so it has to fit that. I also want a screw cap so it doesn't fall of in my bag. I have been looking at the TWSBI mini so no more expensive than that. Please help me with more suggestions.

Nehm

Sponsored Content

#2 warblerick

warblerick

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2014 - 13:32

Hi. I am looking for a good cheapish pen to go with my new sexy leather notebook cover. I have a midori pen clip medium so it has to fit that. I also want a screw cap so it doesn't fall of in my bag. I have been looking at the TWSBI mini so no more expensive than that. Please help me with more suggestions.

Nehm

Then why not the TWSBI mini?

#3 androids.conundrum

androids.conundrum

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2014 - 14:10

If not a mini then consider looking vintage and get an esterbrook, they are lovely pens with screw caps and interchangeable nibs like the TWSBI.

#4 WirsPlm

WirsPlm

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 15:58

Pilot 78G is a sturdy plastic pen (about $12 shipped from JStationery.com, about $15 on eBay) that looks decent and has as screw cap, it's not a large pen and I can't imagine you'll have trouble making it fit a pen look that would fit an Esterbrook.

#5 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 21:10

Two great suggestions in the Esti and the Pilot. In a different vein, you might look at a Kaweco Sport or a Pilot Petite 1. Both are pocket-type pens intended for banging around in a pocket or purse, not necessarily right-side up, and both are excellent writers, with the edge in my opinion going to the Pilot. But the Kaweco takes standard cartridges (and can be used as an eyedropper-filler) while the Petite 1 requires a proprietary Petite-1 cartridge.

ron

#6 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 00:29

Have a look at Greg Minuskin's website - some interesting stuff if you are quick...

#7 UDog

UDog

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:04

Platinum Preppy 03 about $4 or less. You can buy a dozen of them for the price of a TWSBI.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

#8 flexnib

flexnib

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:11

Love the preppy but cap does not twist on.
quote name="UDog" post="2912983" timestamp="1393477467"]Platinum Preppy 03 about $4 or less. You can buy a dozen of them for the price of a TWSBI.[/quote]

#9 Johan.Witt

Johan.Witt

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2014 - 17:56

The TWSBI Micarta looks very sleek with a sexy leather notebook cover. Seems to be a natural match. But it's way outta your price range and may not fit your pen loop.

What a shame. Love my Micarta.

#10 Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

Go Blue!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2014 - 21:57

If you didn't have the cost constraint I'd suggest looking at a Pelikan m300.  How about a Pelikan m200?  They're priced very competitively these days

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

#11 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,026 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2014 - 22:56

Pilot 78G is a good suggestion - it is a twist cap, light, decent - but not particularly sexy.

#12 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 00:12

I would second both the 78G and the Platinum Preppy.

Notebooks can get dropped and/or stood upon, and the attached pen become damaged.

I know the Preppy doesn't have a screw cap, but it does clip on quite sturdily, and screw caps can come undone just as easily.

I currently use a Platinum Preppy in a pen loop I made for a Modena notebook. It lives in my backpack and hasn't failed yet.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#13 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2014 - 00:20

Presumably you'd be after something slim how about a Cross Century II.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suggestion, help

Sponsored Content

|