Considering Chargeback On Pen Purchase - Seller Fallen Off The Planet

WirlWind

Just looking for some advice:

I was on another FP board and was offered a beaten up Waterman 52 with a nib transplant with a super nice 0.23 to about 3mm flex nib on it.

Dude seemed pretty nice and genuine, so I went ahead via paypal. He posted images of the pen and even did a writing sample for me.

He confirmed he got my payment on the 17th (16th in the US) and said he'd clean it and send it the day after (and send me tracking number / attach it to the paypal payment, which he still hasn't done either).

Since then, he hasn't responded to any PM's and he's showing the 20th as his last "activity" even though he didn't post anything. His last post was his PM to me saying he'd send it tomorrow, I believe. I even sent an email off to the address used for his paypal hoping that would connect.

My question: How long do you think is reasonable (assuming no correspondence) before I start mentioning forcing a refund from paypal / actually go ahead with it.

I'm thinking one and a half weeks, charging back on the 2nd week, but curious to get some input from other people with more experience in the buying / selling pen market.

Edited by WirlWind

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ursus

• WirlWind

• Lorna Reed

• de_pen_dent

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd wait a week or so. Sometimes, compost happens in life.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I'm sorry to hear that you have these problems.

I understand that you have got the tracking number from him, so please see if it's under way. After all, he might have gone on holiday right after shipping it.

Best regards and good luck!

Ursus

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for a while. He may be ill or have other problems in life that's holding things up.

Hope things work out for you.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

I agree with all of the above, having indeed had dealings with one seller in precisely the situation of compost happening in his life; he fell off the radar for PMs, email, and in general communicating around the hobby. I am glad that I only did emails and PMs to try to raise a response, because the stuff that was happening was not easy to deal with...

OTOH, you want to remember that you have a 30 day time frame in which to start a procedure with Paypal, so that you could initiate the procedure within that time frame and see what develops. Paypal forwards your claim directly to the seller as the first step, I believe, and then it can run its course; they monitor.

Good luck! Hopefully this resolves to your satisfaction...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I'm sorry to hear that you have these problems.

I understand that you have got the tracking number from him, so please see if it's under way. After all, he might have gone on holiday right after shipping it.

Best regards and good luck!

Ursus

Actually, I don't. That's why I'm worried.

He SAID he'd post it the following day and give me the tracking info, but it's been a week and he hasn't said anything since that. No tracking info or anything.

I agree with all of the above, having indeed had dealings with one seller in precisely the situation of compost happening in his life; he fell off the radar for PMs, email, and in general communicating around the hobby. I am glad that I only did emails and PMs to try to raise a response, because the stuff that was happening was not easy to deal with...

OTOH, you want to remember that you have a 30 day time frame in which to start a procedure with Paypal, so that you could initiate the procedure within that time frame and see what develops. Paypal forwards your claim directly to the seller as the first step, I believe, and then it can run its course; they monitor.

Good luck! Hopefully this resolves to your satisfaction...

Only reason I'm not sure about what's happening is because it says he logged in a few days after saying he'd post it and he didn't message me or anything. He would have seen my PM's. Even with some (bleep) going on, I would have thought that if he was logged in, he'd be likely to tell the person he just accepted $200 from that "it might be a few days longer than expected".

I thought the paypal window was 45 days, but I might be thinking of ebay. I suppose I should go look it up.

I think it sounds like 2-ish weeks is about right, like I originally planned. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and all.

Just hope it gets sorted and sent before my damned birthday.

Edited by WirlWind

Do, or do not. There is no try - Master Yoda

Dude, can you turn those drums down? We can hear them in the next street! - That one annoying neighbour

He SAID he'd post it the following day and give me the tracking info, but it's been a week and he hasn't said anything since that. No tracking info or anything.

I'm sorry to hear that. I simply hate it when people don't give me tracking numbers.

Either:

1) He mailed it (and fell ill, or whatever, and did not inform you).

2) He was unable to mail it (because he fell ill or whatever) but will do so.

3) He chose not to mail it (because he is a bad fellow, so to spea).

I personally find it all right for you to get the money back; you can always write to him that you will pay him again when the item arrives. If he is a great guy who has just fallen ill, he will probably feel very sad for not being able to mail it like he has promised and will be able to understand you. If you have 30 days to get the money back from PayPal you could of cause wait a little and see. That also gives you the best chances of actually getting the pen (in case he has not yet sent it but still wanted to).

Good luck

I would initiate the Paypal process now. It is easy to stop, once begun, but beginning saves your rights to a refund. With no tracking number and no response, you have waited long enough.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"