The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Well Mannered Dark Blue For A Fine Nib

fine low maintenance dark blue

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Dark blue ink (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Which well behaved dark blue?

1. Waterman Mysterious Blue (Blue-Black) (12 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

2. J. Herbin Bleu Nuit (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

3. Parker Quink Blue Black (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Other (please mention) (13 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Murky

Murky

Ink-ready-ble

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:36

Hello,

Over the past few months I've been desperately trying to find a suitable blue(ish) ink for my Cedar Blue "51" Vacumatic with a fine nib...The thing is that I don't particularly like/use fine nibs (it's my only fine nib besides the Konrad flex nib), but this one writes more towards a medium than an extra-fine, is pleasantly wet, and was my college graduation gift (couldn't part with it in a million years)... so I use it for cursive writing (I usually write in print).

I've tried a large variety of blue inks (oh yes, forgot to mention...blue isn't really my favorite ink color), starting with Waterman Florida Blue (too pale), Pelikan Blue-Black (too grey when it comes out of a fine nib), Pelikan Turquoise (pale and had some bleedthrough), Pelikan Edelstein Topaz (beautiful color but takes quite some time to rinse it out of a "51" Vacumatic), even Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher for a very short while (I like the color and saturation in the fine nib...but I can't keep it for too long in a vintage pen).

So now, after trying some blue inks, some turquoise inks, I want to try a Blue-Black/dark blue ink. I've listed 3 particular inks in the poll and now I would like to know your personal opinion on the matter...what kind of blue(ish) ink could surprise a person that doesn't like blue inks :lol:

As a side note, you may wonder why I don't just abandon my quest for THE blue ink and go for the greens, the browns, the purples...since I don't particularly like blue. Well...let's say I want to give blue a second chance before I give up completely.

Cheers!

Edited by dragos.mocanu, 23 February 2014 - 13:57.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Sponsored Content

#2 scrivelry

scrivelry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:55

I use Waterman.  From what I read, it is considered a "safe" ink for vintage pens.  I have not tried the others in your poll.

T

#3 lisadan

lisadan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 13:13

Although blue black isn't my favorite color (I prefer dark blue or turquoise variations), I found Private Reserve Midnight Blue very good when I do use it. I don't like black ink, so I keep one pen with blue black ink in case black ink is required for certain forms etc. I don't own a "51", but I have several "21"s and I didn't have any problems using them with this ink, or cleaning afterward. PR has several blue black ink versions which differ, I guess, in the blue and black ratio. They also have green black and other partially black inks, but I have not tried any of them.
I can't comment on the ink's behavior on different types of paper, since my workplace only uses very basic, cheap copy/print paper, and I rarely use my FPs at home, where they might be subject to cruel treatment by my wife and kids. This ink is pretty wet and tends to bleed on my work's cheap paper, so I usually use F nibs, to limit the amount of ink used. I keep the M nibs pens for writing on slightly better paper, such as envelopes, Post-It notes etc.

Dan

#4 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 13:22

Hi,

Coming from a rather narrow nib, inks in the Blue-Black range seem to need a fairly strong Indigo hue to overcome their low chroma.

Of the inks you picked, I chose the J Herbin Bleu Nuit, which I described as being 'Reminiscent of a gifted dance partner, who follows when I take the lead.'

http://www.fountainp...t/#entry2448678

The performance profile is admirable, especially for a simple aniline dye ink.

I buy the 100ml bottles. :)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#5 Murky

Murky

Ink-ready-ble

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 14:16

Hi,

Coming from a rather narrow nib, inks in the Blue-Black range seem to need a fairly strong Indigo hue to overcome their low chroma.

Of the inks you picked, I chose the J Herbin Bleu Nuit, which I described as being 'Reminiscent of a gifted dance partner, who follows when I take the lead.'

http://www.fountainp...t/#entry2448678

The performance profile is admirable, especially for a simple aniline dye ink.

I buy the 100ml bottles. :)

Bye,

S1

Hi Sandy,

Your fountain pen reviews are always enlightening to me...I actually owe most of my ink purchases to your beautiful reviews (like the Herbin Lie de The, my favorite brown ink). Naturally, I've also chosen these 3 particular inks based on your thorough reviews.

I too am thinking mostly about the 100mL bottle of Bleu Nuit...so you think it would look nice enough in a pleasantly wet fine nib?

Cheers,

Dragos

Edited by dragos.mocanu, 23 February 2014 - 14:17.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

#6 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 15:42

I was going to suggest De Atramentis Atlantic Blue

#7 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 15:50

Pilot blue-black, Sailor Sei-boku are both good choices,

#8 mtnbiker62

mtnbiker62

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 15:56

I use Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-kai in my Japanese fine point pens as my go-to ink.  Very dark, but still blue, flows well and seems somewhat lubricated, like most of the Iroshizuku inks I've tried.

#9 Mafia Geek

Mafia Geek

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 16:15

Have a look at the Sailor Jentle inks. The blue-black, blue, and ultra marine are all really nice colours and performers. They have very good writing feel, perform VERY well on all papers, are mostly water resistant, and aren't dangerous to vintage pens. I just now loaded my snorkel with the blue and it's great. The inks also have really spectacular sheen on most paper.

Edit: meant Sailor sky high rather than ultramarine.

Edited by Mafia Geek, 23 February 2014 - 16:24.

#10 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 16:38

I find Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo goes well with fine nibs, and is safe for vintages

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

#11 haziz

haziz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 19:13

Waterman Blue Black was my vote and is my most used ink.

#12 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2014 - 13:41

Pilot blue-black, Sailor Sei-boku are both good choices,

I concur.

#13 SallyLyn

SallyLyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 867 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 14:39

I haven't put anything but Waterman and Sheaffer in my Parker "51" Vacs. Waterman B/Blk is in my smoothest fine nib "51". I find it a serious ink for a serious pen. Not flashy or bold, does not upstage the pen. I would consider certain Diamine inks and the J Herbin suggested. 

Should you decide to leave the blues, suggest for this pen Waterman brown. Brown can be quite attractive, serious, even vintage. The Waterman brown is of course safe for the pen and a nice color.

#14 gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2014 - 17:22

I have had very good luck with PR Midnight Blues in my fine nibbed 51s and 51 Demis.

I love Diamine Blue-Black, but have had problems with it and several others of thier inks being so over saturated that they clog up 51s with a bit of crusty gunk. It cleans off easily with a bit of water, but still shuts the pen down sometimes.

#15 Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

Go Blue!

• Member - Gold

• 1,040 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:53

I run Parker Quink Permanent Blue-Black in my P-51, F nib.  I've also used Pilot Blue-Black in a VP with a F nib.  Both situations write smoothly with no problems.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

#16 JulesSilvan

JulesSilvan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:19

I would suggest Diamine Midnight and Cult Pens Deep Dark Blue. Two dark blues that look great and behaved well each time I used them, they don't have the 'grey' aspect that blue/blacks seem to have (although I like that aspect) and work well in EF/F nibs without looking anaemic.

#17 Chettiar

Chettiar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2014 - 17:55

Private reserve Ebony Blue.. In my pilot penmanship, it writes dream like!

#18 BlazeOrangeGuy

BlazeOrangeGuy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 18:43

Sailor Jentle Blue Black or Blue would be my choice for a dark blue ink from a fine point. It is what I run in my Lamy 2000 F. I've actually tried Waterman BB and Bleu Nuit in the 2000. They are not as dark as the Sailor in my experience.

#19 quantumboy

quantumboy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 19:06

I have the same pen / same color and use Montblanc's midnight blue (old formula). It never dries out the pen and writes very smoothly but not too wet. It's one of the darkest blue blacks I have used. Cult pens deep dark blue is my other favorite for a very dark blue - similar to the montblanc but it seems to write a wetter line in my pens.

#20 Tanzanite

Tanzanite

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,095 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2014 - 20:16

Parker Quink Blue is my choise for F nibs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fine, low maintenance, dark blue

Sponsored Content

|