I Think My Shaeffer Needs Repaired But I'm Not Sure

karatechick1408

I just recently got a Sheaffer Vac Fill from an antique mall today. I was able to gently work the piston out and get a look at the ring inside with the use of a flashlight. The rod goes out with some resistance and in with much less. I haven't tried to fill it or flush it because, go forbid, it deteriorates even more. The nib is dirty but aligned and seems like it would work. My main question is about the filler system. I don't know the exact condition of the rings or the packing on the end and so I'm afraid to flush it to see if it would be smoother. I am unable to fully push the rod in because the pen starts making this squeaking/scratching sound when I try to screw it in to the base of the pen so I just have it sitting slightly out. When I looked at it with the flashlight, it looked like there was dried ink lightly coating the inside of the barrel.

So, on to my main question. Should I send it to get repaired or try to flush it with water and see if that works?

I am willing to spend the money to get it repaired if it really needs it but I don't want to, or wait 4 months, if I can use it now. If you suggest I get it repaired, can you give me some places that are recommended for Sheaffer repairs ( I know they one of the most difficult)?

I will post pictures if wanted but otherwise please let me know your opinion.

Thank you!

Edited by karatechick1408

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• TimGirdler

• karatechick1408

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently got a Sheaffer Vac Fill from an antique mall today. I was able to gently work the piston out and get a look at the ring inside with the use of a flashlight. The rod goes out with some resistance and in with much less. I haven't tried to fill it or flush it because, go forbid, it deteriorates even more. The nib is dirty but aligned and seems like it would work. My main question is about the filler system. I don't know the exact condition of the rings or the packing on the end and so I'm afraid to flush it to see if it would be smoother. I am unable to fully push the rod in because the pen starts making this squeaking/scratching sound when I try to screw it in to the base of the pen so I just have it sitting slightly out. When I looked at it with the flashlight, it looked like there was dried ink lightly coating the inside of the barrel.

So, on to my main question. Should I send it to get repaired or try to flush it with water and see if that works?

I am willing to spend the money to get it repaired if it really needs it but I don't want to, or wait 4 months, if I can use it now. If you suggest I get it repaired, can you give me some places that are recommended for Sheaffer repairs ( I know they one of the most difficult)?

I will post pictures if wanted but otherwise please let me know your opinion.

Thank you!

The best move, really, is to have it restored by someone who knows what they're doing. My strongest recommendation for a restorer goes to Mike and Linda Kennedy of "Indy-Pen-Dance" (http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/home.php)

You can visit their contact page here: (https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/help.php?section=contactus&mode=update)

They restore the plunger fillers using the same method that Richard Binder uses. And, on top of their pen expertise, you won't find two better people to talk to and deal with.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

Also KC,

First, I'm no Sheaffer expert but I keep my eyes and ears open.

It isn't my impression the Vac fillers were very durable so far as fillers go relative to other fillers, at least so far as finding them in the wild goes.

The filler rebuilding for that pen is one of the more difficult to do. Not every pen repairperson can do them. From what I've seen and heard of Vac fillers found in the wild, it's even More Understood they Won't Likely work than even a pen like a Parker Vac. There are and have been for many years way More people capable of putting a new diaphragm in a Parker Vac than can rebuild a Sheaffer Vac filler. (I suspect Most of the Vac fillers found in the wild have their original dead never restored filler units in them due mainly to the difficulty in fixing them.)

That's not to say that it's a "bad" filler, at least right up until the time comes to rebuild it. ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl