The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Japanese Virgin

japan prera pilot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wnclee

wnclee

The Lustful Scribe

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:20

Hello. I made my first Japanese pen purchase: a Pilot Prera, demo series w/ a "M" nib. I inked it w/ my new Edelstein "Topaz". Another story, but a good one... I have a question about the Prera: there is a white, semi-translucent insert in the cap of the pen and it appears to be a permanent part of the pen. I think? When you open the pen and insert the body into the cap, the white insert seems to "grab" the body and makes a snug fit. I looked online closer at the images of Preras, and they all seem to have this. Photos aren't 100% of course, but this appears the case. Just never had cause to look that closely...Please let me know if this stays? I'm sure it does, so I didn't dare screw-it up. BTW, this is one excellent writer. Glad I got the "M" nib as per/ research. Read that "F" was too fine. Med. gives me what I think is closer to a US fine. Any comments about the INSERT foremost, and others as secondary would be most helpful...Thanks for the continued help, LeRoy   

Sponsored Content

#2 Crazyorange

Crazyorange

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:44

I have the same pen. It's a great writer. Yes, the white insert stays.
Enjoy :)

#3 lightless

lightless

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:48

JjxGfuM.gif

It's probably the inner cap, to help lower the rate of evaporation by reducing the volume of air the nib & feed are exposed to. With demonstrator pens it also obscures whatever ink might get into the cap (assuming the inner cap isn't translucent, too!).

Happy writing!

lightless

#4 ukobke

ukobke

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2014 - 17:44

I have 12 different almost transparent prera. they all have that insert.

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section! (Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock? (Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

#5 wnclee

wnclee

The Lustful Scribe

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:46

I think this answers my question as I suspected, but never too careful. I WILL definitely be buying another one (or 2) of these great pens. $38 on eBay, but postage from Japan still made purchase cheaper than some domestic sites...Thanks for your help, LeRoy

#6 musashi

musashi

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:22

It's a beautiful pen. They have beautiful calligraphic nibs if you are interested in stubs for italics.

#7 hoppes no9

hoppes no9

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 22:29

Totally not what I expected when I clicked on the thread title.

#8 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2014 - 23:29

Indeed!  :D

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#9 ukobke

ukobke

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:31

Prera pens have the same nib with 78G.  B and BB nibs are italic "by default". "Speerbob" I think is the only seller that has the BB nib in 78G. 

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section! (Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock? (Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

#10 mikefromsac

mikefromsac

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:52

Totally not what I expected when I clicked on the thread title.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#11 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:58

Yeah, I'm betting the OP is in marketing or something. Borderline salacious.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#12 perrins57

perrins57

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:15

The same cap liner is in the clear platinum cool, it stops the ink drying out. Some are irritated by the fact pen makers use a translucent, milky white plastic that is visible on demonstrator pens. I suspect this is as a result of type of plastic used (softer than used for sections, caps and bodies) it doesn't bother me though.

Song of Solomon 4:12 ~ You are my private garden, my treasure, my bride, a secluded spring, a hidden fountain Pen

Amber Italix Parsons Essential Fine Cursive Stub & Churchman's Prescriptor Bold Italic, Parker 25 F, Twsbi Mini EF, Platinum #3776 Bourgogne SF, Platinum Maki-e Kanazawa Mt. Fuji Med, Platinum President F,  Platinum desk pen, Platinum PG250,

Summit 125 Med flex, Conway Stewart Scribe No 330 Fine flex, Stephens 103 F, Mock Blanc 146 F, Pelikan 200 with 14k EF nib,  and a Jinhao 675. - I have also sent a Noodler's Ahab & Creeper to recycling.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: japan, prera, pilot

Sponsored Content

|