Waterman #22

grainweevil

Hello folks, hoping for some advice before I do anything stupid.

Picked up a Waterman #22 eyedropper this morning - didn't know that's what it was at the time, mind you, but that's what it apparently is. Pictures being worth a thousand words and so forth:

fpn_1393082375__waterman2201.jpg

fpn_1393082558__waterman2203.jpg

fpn_1393082586__waterman2204.jpg

fpn_1393082617__waterman2205.jpg

So the nib is deeply unhappy, the HCBR is definitely brown, and the cap is a little chipped under the add-on clip (which looks somewhat rusted in place).

So my question is two-fold:

a. Is this thing rescuable?

b. Is it something I can manage, or should I be looking to a professional? I don't mind a learning curve, but I really don't want create a "If only you hadn't..." moment.

I hate the "What's it worth?" question, but I suspect that probably has bearing on "b". To me it looks pretty much a basket case, but the one thing I do know is how much I don't know. I would like to get it writing again though.

All advice and comment welcome. Thank you!

Cheers, Al

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• grainweevil

• Sinistral1

• Markoil

• Vintagepens

I am not a professional by any means, but that looks completely savable to me. The nibs that look like that generally get tweaked by very small hobby pliers with electrical tape covering the metal part of the pliers as not to leave marks. As long as the nib doesn't have giant cracks in it I generally try to get them writing again.

That's an interesting looking old gal. I've not seen one like it. Good luck on your refurbishing efforts!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Thanks, folks - as no-one's said "Eeek, don't touch it", I'm inclined to go for it myself. Slowly and carefully and employing lots of patience.

David, you unerringly pinpointed both the aspects that struck me as trickiest; this is both comforting and... not. (!) Incidentally, thank you very much for all the info on your website; incredibly useful.

Cheers, Al

It looks like a crack in the right tine. It can be repaired but is costly and the pen will never flex properly. A "new" nib can be found cheaper

Hmmm, but on the other nib photo it looks like there's a hair or fiber in the same spot, sticking up. Maybe it's not a crack, fingers crossed. If it is a crack, that's a bad spot, and Crackednib would be correct about it's flexing ability as well as how expensive it would be to have a crack repaired.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Alas, you're both right - it is a fibre, but it's there because it was caught in a minuscule crack (all of 0.5mm, I estimate). Ack. Well, all nib efforts came pretty much to a screeching halt at that point, which was a shame as clip removal, cap trimming and general dismantling had all gone swimmingly. However, while the nib still looks like it's been chewed by a terrier, it is useable. So I had to at least try it, right?

fpn_1393409313__waterman2207.jpg

Oh, if only that crack wasn't there; it's a lovely writer. People rave about how they like the feel of the pen in their hand? You don't even know you have a pen in your hand with this thing it's so slim and light. It's gorgeous; truly the nearest thing to a dip pen in a fountain pen form that I've used. Not exactly alluring as a daily writer though, as its slimness makes filling a hazardous business and it does tend to burp. I can all too easily see why alternative filling systems were so readily embraced.

Ah well, it didn't cost much and I've got a lot of fun out of it and learnt new things. I'll probably take it for a spin now and again and see what happens to that crack. Maybe a suitable replacement nib will swim into my ken one day.

Cheers, Al

Hi Al,

Do you know: http://www.goldnibs.com in Spain (so no expensive overseas shipping and customs troubles)?

They repair such things and it is less expensive then I thought.

I never used their services, but the examples look impressive.

I don't think that a hairline crack repair will effect its flexibility capabilities.

You did a great job!

Hi Al,

Do you know: http://www.goldnibs.com in Spain (so no expensive overseas shipping and customs troubles)?

They repair such things and it is less expensive then I thought.

I never used their services, but the examples look impressive.

I don't think that a hairline crack repair will effect its flexibility capabilities.

Oh, I didn't. That's very interesting - thanks Ptero.

And thanks, Sinistral; at least I didn't make it worse, which is a win.

Cheers, Al

(Sorry for the tardy response - I've been unexpectedly internet-less.)

• 1 year later...

Hi Al,

Just happened to see this post.
I am looking for a Waterman 22 for some time already, exactly like the one you have..

Would you consider selling yours, by any chance?

Or, do you have any suggestion where I may be able to find?

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,

Markoil

Hello, Markoil, and welcome to the forum.

Just fyi, the moderators get a little testy about speaking of commerce on forum threads - after you've got thirty posts (I think) under your belt, you have access to the classifieds, which is probably not a bad place to put a "Want To Buy".

Anyway, no plans to sell mine at the moment, I'm afraid. Partially because the nib is still not repaired or replaced (shame on me - it's on the to do list), and partially because I don't have a clue as to a fair price for it!

Good luck in your hunt.

Cheers, Al

• 2 weeks later...