Who Can Tell Me What's Odd About This Skyline?

LBpens

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LBpens

• joss

• spyder

• BamaPen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Odd might be that the clip does not carry the double "vv" check mark for lifetime warranty?

The clip without check mark is more common on a moire Skyline but I am not sure whether it is odd on a lower line standard Skyline (lower line as this pen does not have a gold cap ring).

I hadn't noticed that there was no double check, but that's not so unusual. And that's not the right answer! Keep looking!

Save the Wahls!

I'm assuming there's a lever on there somewhere?

S

Yes there is. Like I said, all you need to figure it out is the picture :)

How long shall I let this go on?

Save the Wahls!

I'm going to spill it. It does have a clip that goes over the top, but it does not have a band of any kind. The only other plastic cap Skyline to have the full clip but no band was the Moires. I've had this pen for a long time and have looked for another, but haven't seen one. I assume it was a mistake to have either over trimmed or under trimmed a black pen.

Save the Wahls!

It does have a clip that goes over the top, but it does not have a band of any kind. The only other plastic cap Skyline to have the full clip but no band was the Moires. I've had this pen for a long time and have looked for another, but haven't seen one. I assume it was a mistake to have either over trimmed or under trimmed a black pen.

Do you regard the absence of a ring at the open end of the cap as being odd? I do not think that these pens were a mistake. I have a similar pen in jet black without cap ring and, importantly, without the "VV" check mark on the clip.

In my opinion, but I could be wrong, these were cheaper Skylines that came without lifetime warranty. They may be less common compared to other Skylines but I do not think that they are scarce and/or mistakes.

Edited by joris

Do you regard the absence of a ring at the open end of the cap as being odd? I do not think that these pens were a mistake. I have a similar pen in jet black without cap ring and, importantly, without the "VV" check mark on the clip.

In my opinion, but I could be wrong, these were cheaper Skylines that came without lifetime warranty. They may be less common compared to other Skylines but I do not think that they are scarce and/or mistakes.

Guilty. I do think it's odd and I do think it is probably a mistake. I've had it for at least 15 years, and while probably a thousand Skylines have gone through my hands in that time, I've never seen another one. Can I get a picture of yours? I still say this is Moire trim pattern on a black pen, and I'm pretty sure it was never in production or in a catalog.

Save the Wahls!

Guilty. I do think it's odd and I do think it is probably a mistake. I've had it for at least 15 years, and while probably a thousand Skylines have gone through my hands in that time, I've never seen another one. Can I get a picture of yours? I still say this is Moire trim pattern on a black pen, and I'm pretty sure it was never in production or in a catalog.

That is an interesting theory, especially because you can compare with the respectable amount of Skylines that you have seen.

I will make pictures of my pen tomorrow in daylight. My version is a Standard size Skyline but it came to me with a broken feed and without nib. Can you check the nib on your pen please. Is it a normal size nib or is it the smaller version (with heart shaped breather hole) that was common on the moire?

Regards,

Joris

Here are the images of my pen: a jet black Standard Skyline without cap ring:

fpn_1393231677__764_1.jpg

fpn_1393231701__764_2.jpg

fpn_1393231718__764_3.jpg

fpn_1393231733__764_4.jpg

The pen has a broken feed and came without nib. It has the common imprint on the clip ring "EVERSHARP SKYLINE PAT. MADE IN U.S.A.".

Edited by joris

Interesting. If a dozen or so were to surface, especially in different colors, I might be convinced it was made intentionally. So far, I still think it was a fluke of some kind. And those were common in pen manufacture. I have an Eversharp that is a lever filler, but the end was also cut and threaded for a plunger. Fun stuff! :)

Save the Wahls!

I have a Skyline standard size in black that looks like your demi - no cap band, over the top clip, no double check, standard size nib (first style banner nib).

Seems that here on FPN we've turned up three of these in two days, so I don't think this is a fluke, just a low end Skyline. After all, they made the Streamliner, which also had no cap band, but the clip did not go over the top. That model had the small Eversharp nib like the moire pens. My bet is that this pen that we are talking about was the very first step up from Streamliner to Skyline.

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

I have a Skyline standard size in black that looks like your demi - no cap band, over the top clip, no double check, standard size nib (first style banner nib).

Seems that here on FPN we've turned up three of these in two days, so I don't think this is a fluke, just a low end Skyline. After all, they made the Streamliner, which also had no cap band, but the clip did not go over the top. That model had the small Eversharp nib like the moire pens. My bet is that this pen that we are talking about was the very first step up from Streamliner to Skyline.

But it was never in a catalog. And why make distinct models with so little variation?

Save the Wahls!

• 2 years later...

Interesting... I picked up a very similar pen this weekend: jet black Skyline, with no band. This is the first Skyline I've seen (since the Norwegian pen market was dominated by by pens made in Denmark, I guess - and those would mainly be Parker pens).

So, I'm happy to have found my first Skyline, and even happier if it turns to be somewhat unusual.