Diamine Ink For Students?

TheAkwardNinja

So I just found out that it is more economical to buy Diamine ink than the usual Parker ink I buy. I ordered Eau de Nil based on well reviews and I enjoy the color. Are there any other inks that could suit a student's standards. I am using a Lamy Al-Star with an Extra Fine nib. Paper, well, it's paper.

Suggestions?

-Ave María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus. Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Amen.-

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheAkwardNinja

• ac12

• Runnin_Ute

• patu2

In terms of what? As a student, I use inks all the way from Baystate Blue to Quink Washable blue to Hero Black to Oxblood. I keep two pens juiced up with washable blue as it's my best ink that I can use an eradicator with. I have yet to find a Diamine one that can be eradicated.

Edited by Funkmon

In terms of not bleeding through or woolly lines on very absorbent paper.

-Ave María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus. Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Amen.-

Its not Diamine, but I would give Rohrer and Klingners Salix a chance. It's a blue-black mild Iron-gall with great shading. I use it everyday in college and on all types of papers (I even do the crosswords in the newspaper with it) and it never bleeds through or feathers. I've yet to find a Diamine that works as well.

"Vae me, puto concacavi me!" -Seneca

ἄριστον μέν ὕδωρ μέλαν

Paper is NOT just paper.

Paper is one of the variable for good writing.

Choose the wrong paper and you get a rough/scratchy feel, feathering and bleed through.

Choose the right paper and you get smooth writing, no feathering and no bleed through.

In college I had to buy the proper paper to use with my fountain pens.

BTW, your EF nib is more picky about paper, for writing smoothness, than a wider nib.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

buy bulk

• Pelikan in the 1 liter bottle.
  • Pilot in the 350 ml bottle.

www.SFPenShow.com

Diamine inks.....

Blue Black - for assignments

Classic Red - for markup

Sherwood Green notes

Steel Blue notes

Classic Red notes

Blue Black for notes.

All work great for me even on Made in Brazil composition books.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks for the help!

I've used Diamine Chocolate brown a lot at lectures, it seems to work with most combinations of pen and paper and is relatively fast-drying even on Rhodia. On a related note: how does Eau de Nil perform for taking notes etc. (in terms of drying time, feathering, show- or bleedthrough)? I've been trying to find a nice all-round tealish ink, and Diamine Teal and Eau de Nil seem to be the best contenders. Of course, Iroshizuku So-ryo or Ku-jaku would be nice, but they're completely out of the price range for a student :)

Still waiting for the order to come, I'll post my thoughts!

Edited by TheAkwardNinja

Consider Miquel Ruis paper. It's usually at the book store. I paid a tiny bit more for my notebooks, but they were worth every penny. I could write on both sides of the paper, no matter what ink I used it didn't bleed or feather. Great stuff.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 5 months later...

I use Diamine almost exclusively. Their inks are very good for cheap paper. I use them for school as well. The inks I found that work best are Diamine Grey, Diamine Ancient Copper and Diamine Graphite work well on cheap paper. I use an american made Steno Pad and a Pilot Metro with Medium Nib and a Monteverde Impressa with a Fine Nib, they both are moderately wet, I've tweaked them, and the inks barely bleed through or spread. Diamine Grey does work best though, The bleedthrough isn't noticeable since it is a lighter colour. At home I use the Brazilian made composition notebooks and the bleedthrough is non existent. I use Diamine Amaranth and Sherwood Green, and have not yet tried them on the Brazilian made books. So i won't say anything about the bleedthrough as I don't know. The amaranth is in my Ahab and that is a super wet pen so the bleedthrough is noticeable but that is an exceptionally wet writing pen.

I've switched over to using Rhodia side wire bound notebooks for school. I like the 5mm graph ruling as it lets me write fairly small and fit a lot of notes on a page. Plus, the paper allows be to use whatever ink I want. This is a good thing, as I change inks a lot, and don't like having to be picky to accommodate poor paper. Sometimes you can't avoid bad paper, and I keep a Pilot G2 Limited around for when I'm carrying a particularly feathery/bleedy ink.

Some good ones for me on cheaper paper though have been many Diamine inks, especially Red Dragon and Gray. Some Noodler's like Bulletproof Black, but stay away from the Warden series and BSB on cheaper paper. PR Tanzanite has worked very well too. R&K Scabiosa and Salix are flawless on bad paper. Iroshizuku Ku-jaku has been good as well.

So many inks, so little time...

I think Diamine is very good choice for students. Reasonable price for 80ml. You can write a lot. Blue, black, and grey colors are good for note taking/report and other colors are good for highlight/marking.

Enjoy your college (I guess) life!

Diamine's relatively slow dry times, and the smudge-till-very-dry, factor, may present problems for student use.

Simple, highly washable, reliable Parker and Waterman might meet student needs.

Diamine's relatively slow dry times, and the smudge-till-very-dry, factor, may present problems for student use.

Simple, highly washable, reliable Parker and Waterman might meet student needs.

I did not find dry time a problem.

But then I don't have my pen set up to write WET. I'm about in the middle, not wet, and not dry.

And I use a F nib.

So I am not putting down a lot of ink.

www.SFPenShow.com