The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Franklin Christoph Model 02 Intrinsic (Smoke & Ice)

franklin christoph smoke ice intrinsic model 02 eyedropper masuyama

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 cyranodb

cyranodb

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2014 - 20:04

Istvan, the 18k M-CI nibs are 0.8mm. But they write slightly wider than the steel M-CI (I have both) mostly because the gold nib is softer & writes a much wetter line. The 1mm B-CI is probably what you're looking for.

In other news, Mr. Masuyama did reply, and 2 of my nibs are now on their way to be modified!

Thank you for this review "cyranodb". 

While trying to look up all information & reviews of the FC pens I chanced on yours. 

Love that smoked demonstrator look.

The pen I am waiting to be made is the smaller model 03 in the Black & Maroon version , with no clip.

I'm very familiar with Mr. Masuyama's excellent work on nibs & have two of his wonderful italics ground from 14K Sailor MS nibs.

I'm curious how wide Mike's 18K JoWo M-CI is.  I am looking for a fairly wide 0.9 or 1.0 italic in 18K.

Cheers:  Istvan

Sponsored Content

#22 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2014 - 20:20

After a good look @ the offerings of #6,  Masuyama-modified nibs on the FC web-site, the steel Broad CI may indeed work out the best. 

At least, that's the first FC nib I'm going to try for try Mod # 03.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Standard sized Brown Marbled Mozaique,(machined acrylic/rhodium),14c. 1.0 mm.CI (JM) *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. (BLS) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#23 ObliqueIntern

ObliqueIntern

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 00:12

This is a hot pen.  I'm really sorry I missed out on this one.  Congratulations and enjoy!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.  - Mark Twain

#24 ALPrasetio

ALPrasetio

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:12

Well, this is definitely my next pen. It's just...wow? gorgeous? sexy? I don't know...it's just...just haha. 

#25 neotobeo

neotobeo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:32

Received my first Franklin-Christoph FP last week - this Model 02 Intrinsic fountain pen smoke & Ice with the 1.1mm Sub Nib (Cursive Calligraphy). Beautiful and unique pen. Initial nib was very scratchy - emailed Franklin-Christoph - sent me a new ink-tested nib -> ridiculously smooth. The customer service is outstanding. On another note - ordered one of the new A4 size notebooks with their new paper - very nice, smooth, nice binding, very FP friendly with Noodler's BBH, Black, La Colour Royale, Brooklyn Brawn, Brown #41, and BayState Blue. Let me restate - the customer service at Franklin-Christoph is OUTSTANDING.

#26 Biff

Biff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 17:13

I intend to purchase one of these, though I don't really need it. It will be my first F-C. According to the F-C website, they will again be available about April 14th (two days hence). I'll be using it as an eyedropper so I'll need to get some silicone grease too. I wonder -- will a Fire and Ice version be forthcoming at some point soon? I might like that even more.

Edit: I just realized I already have some silicone grease, it came with the TWSBIs that I bought!

Edited by Nicolas_Rieussec, 12 April 2014 - 17:45.

#27 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 19:33

I am so pleased that this thread about a F-C pen review is continuing.  

There are many positive comments about F-C pens, ...yet there is precious little that can be found on the FPN reviews (mostly older models).

I have tried to find out as much as I could about the brand & the Masuyama modified stub/italic nibs. 

Finally, a model 03 is being shipped,  with a broad stub ground by Nagahara-san of Sailor Pen. 

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Standard sized Brown Marbled Mozaique,(machined acrylic/rhodium),14c. 1.0 mm.CI (JM) *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. (BLS) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#28 dneal

dneal

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2014 - 21:45

Ohferchrissakes... I just post that I've ordered an 02, am doing the "pee pee dance" waiting for it, and you top this thread??!!!???  :gaah:  

:lol:

#29 cyranodb

cyranodb

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:46

Me too. There really needs to be more reviews of F-C pens! At least with this particular model, I've seen quite a few reviews outside of FPN. As for Masuyama, from what I gather, he used to work for Sailor too... and although I haven't used nibs modified by other nibmeisters yet, it's a wonderful feeling writing with Masuyama nibs, especially on Tomoeriver paper.

I am so pleased that this thread about a F-C pen review is continuing.  

There are many positive comments about F-C pens, ...yet there is precious little that can be found on the FPN reviews (mostly older models).

I have tried to find out as much as I could about the brand & the Masuyama modified stub/italic nibs. 

Finally, a model 03 is being shipped,  with a broad stub ground by Nagahara-san of Sailor Pen. 

TWSBI's silicone grease - that makes 2 of us! Fire & Ice - I wasn't sure how well the red top will go with other coloured inks...

I intend to purchase one of these, though I don't really need it. It will be my first F-C. According to the F-C website, they will again be available about April 14th (two days hence). I'll be using it as an eyedropper so I'll need to get some silicone grease too. I wonder -- will a Fire and Ice version be forthcoming at some point soon? I might like that even more.

Edit: I just realized I already have some silicone grease, it came with the TWSBIs that I bought!

:) I'm doing the "pee pee dance" too, for an edison and a few vintage pens, as well as a couple of Masuyama nibs... and I've to dance a lot longer, it takes ages to ship anything to where I am...

Ohferchrissakes... I just post that I've ordered an 02, am doing the "pee pee dance" waiting for it, and you top this thread??!!!???  :gaah:  

:lol:

#30 strictlyobiter

strictlyobiter

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:46

I've been humming and hawing for days between this 02 and the 40p in Smoke and Ice. This thread makes me lean more to the 02 of course, especially eyedroppered. Great review.

#31 marie9999

marie9999

Rare

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 15:53

Thanks for review - this pen was sold out at the Atlanta Pen Show before Saturday evening!  Many of their pens were popular.

Edited by marie9999, 14 April 2014 - 22:49.

#32 Biff

Biff

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2014 - 23:55

I've been humming and hawing for days between this 02 and the 40p in Smoke and Ice. This thread makes me lean more to the 02 of course, especially eyedroppered. Great review.

Me too -- I decided to get the Pocket 40 instead, in Fire and Ice.

Edited by Nicolas_Rieussec, 18 April 2014 - 04:10.

#33 DessertMaker55

DessertMaker55

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:58

I had the same dilemma the 02 or pocket 40! Then after my 02 arrived I ordered the pocket 40. I am very happy with both. And love the eye dropper look. :)

#34 dneal

dneal

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 17:37

I had the same dilemma the 02 or pocket 40! Then after my 02 arrived I ordered the pocket 40. I am very happy with both. And love the eye dropper look. :)

I ordered both as well.  Only a few more days before they get here (hopefully!).

#35 Blatherscribe

Blatherscribe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,521 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:26

Beautiful pen!  How does it look with the converter filled?  I'm not sure I'm brave enough to carry that much unfettered ink in my pocket.

#36 cyranodb

cyranodb

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2014 - 21:51

The first two photos in my review are with the converter filled.

Beautiful pen!  How does it look with the converter filled?  I'm not sure I'm brave enough to carry that much unfettered ink in my pocket.

Glad to see these many responses, and it feels good to take on the role of an enabler here!  ;) I'm already sitting on the fence for a Pocket 40, let's see how long I can hold back!

#37 Blatherscribe

Blatherscribe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,521 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 22:01

The first two photos in my review are with the converter filled.

Glad to see these many responses, and it feels good to take on the role of an enabler here!  ;) I'm already sitting on the fence for a Pocket 40, let's see how long I can hold back!

An enabler, indeed! :)  Franklin-Christoph should pay you a commission.

And it rather answers my question that I didn't realize you had a filled converter in the pen for those first two photos.  It still looks good, but the ink is only a shadow.  I guess if I want the full effect, there's nothing for it but to use it as an eyedropper and trust that some unemployed deity has taken to watching over fountain pens and their captive humans.

#38 cyranodb

cyranodb

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:54

:)

While I was skeptical about using it as an eyedropper, I don't think it's that bad with this pen. I had checked with F-C before I did this, and according to them they don't even use silicone grease for their personal use because the threading is reasonably airtight. They do recommend using silicone grease for normal use just to be safe. I've been using this as an ED constantly for more than 2 months, and it shows no signs of anything close to a leak. The good thing with the transparency is that you can see the ink and the threads, and it's a bit reassuring to see things are under control!

Somewhat more annoying is that because of the transparent cap, an odd capping action can mark the inside of the cap with ink, and eventually you'll have to start looking at cleaning it. i.e. the transparency is more troubling than ED conversion!

An enabler, indeed! :)  Franklin-Christoph should pay you a commission.

And it rather answers my question that I didn't realize you had a filled converter in the pen for those first two photos.  It still looks good, but the ink is only a shadow.  I guess if I want the full effect, there's nothing for it but to use it as an eyedropper and trust that some unemployed deity has taken to watching over fountain pens and their captive humans.

#39 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:30

So, to the OP, as well as to the others who already had the 02, it's been awhile. How do you like it now?

Edited to add: Also, as an eyedropper, have you seen any staining?  How hard is it to clean?

Edited by Blue_Moon, 01 July 2014 - 12:53.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

#40 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:18

Nice Review! I have an 02 in the Emerald color and I think I'll just stay with that color as it turns me on :-)

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: franklin christoph, smoke ice, intrinsic, model 02, eyedropper, masuyama

Sponsored Content

|