Jinhao Nibs?

bertrandhustle

I know Brian Goulet advertises his nibs as being compatible with the X450 and X750, as they both use #6 nibs, but I have a Jinhao 950 (this one) and the nib is a little skippy and way too broad for my liking. So my question is, do all Jinhao pens use the same size nib? I emailed the Goulet Pen Company but they said they don't have much experience with the 950 and suggested I ask you guys.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen350

• richardandtracy

• wlwilcox

• KBeezie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am fairly sure that they do not. XFountainpens.com have replacement nibs and they designate differempnt nibs for different pen models. And I think that they are dealing with relabel led Jinhaos.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have a #6 nib. I base this on seeing your pen in comparison to others in the same photo. All Jinhao's do not use the same nib, but quite a few do use the #6. You could always pull your nib and measure it using the dimensions on xfountainpens as a guide.

Hope I helped at least a little.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Jinhao have basically two nibs for their open nibbed pens.

There is the #6 nib in the X450/X750, and there is the other one seen on pens like the Jinhao Century Mk2 ( https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/220345-jinhao-century-mk-2/ ). The nib is smaller, at about 17mm long as opposed to 25mm for a #6 nib. The difference in the two nibs can be seen in the comparison photo between the Mk1 & Mk2. The 950 seems, from the photo, to have the Mk2's smaller nib. I suspect it is a #5 nib, though I have never tried to swap one of these.

Regards,

Richard.

Jinhao's 159 is a #6 as well. I pulled the nib and replaced the 159 nib with a Goulet nib to see which one I liked better. I ended up putting the original nib back in.

I see Jinhao pens advertised as having medium or medium-fine or broad nibs but I have also read that they really only have one nib width. I like a fine nib so possibly I should just replace the ones that write a little too broadly for me. Does anyone know if indeed all their nibs are the same width?

I have a similar problem. I bought a lovely pen called a Jinhao "Elegant Writer." I love the look of the pen but hate the nib. I have a Jinhao 450 and use a Goulet nib, and I know the nib of the Elegant Writer is smaller than the one for the 450. I also can't tell if it can be swapped out. I guess I could try anything small, like a Pilot nib, but I'm worried about not being able to swap back if it doesn't work out. Should I keep the nib it has, or should I risk trying the swap? That is, can I hurt anything by trying?

Pilot nibs will probably not work (Pilot makes their own nibs in house), I'd measure the nib you have and check xfountainpens because they sell several varieties of replacement nibs for various Chinese pens and that will probably help you find a better match.

• 7 months later...

Knox also has another size nib that often works on other models of Jinhao pens. I strongly suspect that the Knox K-26 would be just the nib you need for the Jinhao 950. The Knox K-26 comes in EF, F, M, B, Oblique Broad and Oblique Double Broad. You can purchase them at XFountainPens.com. The nib is a really nice nib, and pretty smooth for a $9 purchase. I have a Knox K36 Medium on my Jinhao 159, and it has made my writing experience with the 159 very pleasant. I also have a Knox K26 on my "knockoff" Montblanc Thomas Mann. Hardly any feedback.

I have bought a number of Jinhao pens. The ones I have bought have three sizes of feed.

Old stock X-450 and many of the old stock commemorative pens have a 6.5mm feed

New stock Century Mk I, X-450, X-750 and 159 all have a 6mm feed.

The 163, Century MkII, the 601 and one model of the 599s all have a 5mm feed.

The same, larger nib fits the 6.5 and 6mm feeds. However, the nib on the 6.5mm feed looks bigger because it doesn't go as far into the section as the nib and feed on the 6mm versions.

Similarly the same nib is used on the 5mm feeds.

Both sizes of nibs are available in gold plated highlights (X-750 and 163) and chrome plated (the rest).

As well, the TWSBI nibs, Huashilai 5mm feed nibs and the Leonardo 5mm feed nibs are all interchangeable with the 5mm Jinhaos.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I own this exact pen. The nib is smaller than #6. I'm not sure what size it is.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

• 5 weeks later...

How about the 605? I've been looking everywhere but i cant seem to find any info on it. Is it a #6 as well?

I do not own a #605, however, based on the picture it looks like a #6 nib. I do know that the Jinhao #159 takes a size 5 nib, and I have a Knox K26 on my #159. If you go to Ebay pull up a 605 and do a close look at the nib, and then look at the Jinhao 159. It might help you have a better idea (in case you have not found someone who owns the 605).

Helen, are sure the Jinhao 159's nib size is a #5? I've always assumed that it was a #6,

I have a Jinhao 159 with a Goulet #6 nib - and am quite certain that a #5 wouldn't fit. It would be far too small!

Jinhao X450/X750/159 are #6, definitely not a #5 (WAAAY too big a pen to be a #5 anyways, plus I've tried all three). I've used Goulet #6 nibs in all three.

Jinhao 250 far as I know is a #5 (haven't tried any other Jinhaos that could take a #5)

I have a Knox K26 on my 159 which is not the same as the K35 (used for Jinhao X450 & X750). Maybe the K26 is not considered a #5, however, the K26 is a perfect fit and lays a very smooth line. Unfortunately I do not have anything to measure the nib with to give us the data we need. My computer does not take the best pixtures, however, I hope these snapshots of the nib of my #159 helps.

Snapshot_20141116_1.JPG

Snapshot_20141116_2.JPG