Sending My Lamy 2000 F For Repair

caric

I've finally realized my Lamy 2000 needs a nib touch-up, or something. It's an F, and sometimes writes like an F, but sometimes like an M. on strokes which go to the right, so much ink is dumped it looks like shading afterwards. I plan to ship it to Lamy for service, and I wrote them a note with sample left-and-right squiggles. the ones going to the left almost skip, but I'm not varying my pressure or angle.

In my note to Lamy, you can clearly see the shading effect. this was on a moleskine sticky note, and the strokes are tending to be on the thicker side. on rhodia paper, I mostly get super-thin strokes, with forays into thick strokes mid-word. the horizontal squiggles show it best on the moleskine; on rhodia, it's like that mid-word.

interestingly, the nib "sings" on rhodia paper.

the nib is never scratchy, but also not nearly as smooth as my twsbis or pelikans.

I've had this pen for about 10 months and I've thoroughly cleaned and flushed it many times. I'm now a lot more experienced with other pens, so I've only lately come to realize how inconsistent this one is.

This writing sample is with Noodler's Luxury blue. I've also used a lot of Noodler's Legal Lapis with this pen, and some Black Swan in the English Roses.

12644441774_602ac6dd0c_o.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caric

• Koyote

• Uncle Red

• Antolini

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not tell them what ink you're using. Lamy has a thing about Noodler's ink. It's not the issue here but stay mum about the ink. Did you buy the pen new?

It seems Lamy 2000 works in this ways, Lamy 2000's Nib-style. The strokes shown is same as mine, I have a Lamy 2000, F nib, with Noodlers' ell black. The strokes doesn't lookes the same.

Enjoy writing

I had this same problem with my Lamy 2000 fine nib. I would check the tine alignment to make sure one tine isn't lower than the other. If this doesn't work, you can attempt to lightly grind/smooth the nib (at your own risk) or send it back to Lamy. They have good customer service and will almost certainly replace your nib.

Without any kind of judgement or so:

Others spend a whole lot of money for re-grinding or similar things done by a Nibmeister for having identical results...

;)

And as a general point: please keep in mind that the 2000-nibs are handmade - so a certain variation is normal. This is why they strongly recommend to test the pens at the local distributor...

There are no facts, there is no truth - just a data to be manipulated...

Hand made? I didn't know that.

I would enjoy the shading if I could control the line width. I never know what I'm going to get when I put this 2000 to paper.

I'm pretty sure this was my fault.

the tines were definitely mis-aligned... I took the pen apart awhile back to clean it. to get the nib and feed out of the section, you're supposed to carefully press on the nib to push it out. I must have pressed too hard!

I took a macro photo with my olloclip:

Misaligned by astrophoenix, on Flickr
following the directions I found online at http://kcavers.blogspot.com/2012/09/basic-fountain-pen-nib-adjustment-101.html I was able to get the tines back in alignment. it was so easy! I had no idea the nib was so soft.

Now the pen writes uniformly and responds to pressure as I would expect.

Don't feel foolish. This is all part of the process of owning and learning about FPs. Glad you sorted it out!

In fact, I now wonder if I could have sorted out my own faulty Lamy 2000 in the same way rather than returning it...At the time, I didn't bother fiddling with tine alignment and such.

Edited by Koyote