I"m Looking To Buy A Modern Celluloid Pen And I Need Some Advice

gwhizbklyn

Hi FPNers,

I'm a longtime lurker on the site and have thoroughly enjoyed soaking up all the great pen knowledge on the site, so I thought I'd put out a call for some suggestions. One of my "grail" pens for the year is a modern celluloid pen (I own a few Parker Vacs already). I had my eye on the Platinum 3776 tortoise celluloid pen. But I thought I'd ask more experienced owners out there for suggestions for a modern celluloid pen, in a similar price range as the Platinum ( approx. $350 or so). Quality nib is a must of course, but I'm open to any size, shape or color.

Thanks for the help! (P.S. My other "grail" pen goals for the year are Nakaya Neo-Standard and a Pelikan 605).

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gwhizbklyn

• tinta

• Muncle

• 82Greg

Did you mean by modern that the celluloid pen is currently made?

Brian Gray may have some modern celluloid nitrate turning stock, made by American Art Plastics. I'm a happy user of an Edison purple-web celluloid, clip-less Pearl, with a slightly modified 1.1 mm. Butter-line stub. This pen cost me around 300.00 USD (including the up-charge for the celluloid material).

The nib work by Pendleton was a little extra. One of my favourite pens.

A Platinum celluloid might give you a greater selection of 14K gold nibs, but the Edison has the advantage of decent quality German screw-in nib units.

Ed: for spellin'

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Did you mean by modern that the celluloid pen is currently made?

Brian Gray may have some modern celluloid nitrate turning stock, made by American Art Plastics. I'm a happy user of an Edison purple-web celluloid, clip-less Pearl, with a slightly modified 1.1 mm. Butter-line stub. This pen cost me around 300.00 USD (including the up-charge for the celluloid material).

The nib work by Pendleton was a little extra. One of may favourite pens.

A Platinum celluloid might give you a greater selection of 14K gold nibs, but the Edison has the advantage of decent quality German screw-in nib units.

Oh damn...can we get a look at that one?

As to the OP, I don't have any experience with modern celluloid, but I believe the Visconti Wall Street pens are celluloid.

Platinum nibs are nonpareil, they are among companies that still make their own. I have been looking at the very same pen you mentioned. Pelikan Souveran's are also partially celluloid, using a cotton celluloid for the barrels.

Not the best shot, but this is my celluloid Pearl.

In good light the material is stunning.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

I don't have it here at home, but I also have an Edison celluloid in ivory, a Collier I believe (I bought it second hand). Funny to see this message today, as I actually spent the morning soaking the nib to get out some dried ink. A beautiful pen, really. And the price was right in line with tinta's report.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I actually own an Edison pen by Brian Gray, which I bought at the DC pen show last August. He didn't seem to have a many celluloid options when I talked to him them so I bought a Pearlette in a silver amber acrylic, which I love (and keep loaded with Diamine ancient copper, which matches the amber)

Edited by gwhizbklyn

At a distance, the purple-web material looks quite unassuming,... almost a dark brown/black,... but if you sit by a lighted window, the surface brightens up & you'll see veins (chevrons) & vermiculations (like the pattern seen on the back of a beautiful Brook Trout)

Most of the major Italian pen companies produce modern celluloid pens, but I don't think any retail for $350 or probably less than $500.

OMAS has made celluloid versions of the Arte Italiana pens (the Paragon and Milord), the 360, Ogiva and Bologna. OMAS is probably the largest maker of modern celluloid pens.

Stipula has made celluloid versions of the Etruria. Visconti made the celluloid Wall Street and celluloid versions of the Opera and Divina models. Montgerappa made celluloid versions of the Miya, Extra and Emblema.

Some of these pens can be found second hand in your price range, sometimes less.

Pelikan Souveran pens are technically not the same celluloid. They are made from cellulose acetate rather than cellulose nitrate.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Hi FPNers,

I'm a longtime lurker on the site and have thoroughly enjoyed soaking up all the great pen knowledge on the site, so I thought I'd put out a call for some suggestions. One of my "grail" pens for the year is a modern celluloid pen (I own a few Parker Vacs already). I had my eye on the Platinum 3776 tortoise celluloid pen. But I thought I'd ask more experienced owners out there for suggestions for a modern celluloid pen, in a similar price range as the Platinum ( approx. $350 or so). Quality nib is a must of course, but I'm open to any size, shape or color.

Thanks for the help! (P.S. My other "grail" pen goals for the year are Nakaya Neo-Standard and a Pelikan 605).

The Platinum celluloid is an unbelievable bargain for a genuine cellulose Nitrate pen with a solid gold nib that writes wonderfully. You will be hard pressed to find a competing product with similar specifications in the same price neighbourhood. HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks folks for all the info and tips. Looks like the Platinum is still the strongest contender. But I will check back over at Edison to see what kind of material they have in stock. Thanks guys!

Thanks folks for all the info and tips. Looks like the Platinum is still the strongest contender. But I will check back over at Edison to see what kind of material they have in stock. Thanks guys!

I have the Platinum Tortoise celluloid and it's a stunningly beautiful pen. I also have an Edison Collier and while it's nice, it doesn't compare to the sheer elegance of the Platinum.

• 4 weeks later...

Contact Bryant @ Pentime and see what he can dig up for you in that price. You might be surprised.

+1 that the Platinum Tortoise is an absolutely fantastic pen. As are the Viscontis (I am a celluloid ho, and have a couple of Wall Streets, and the Divina Desert Springs).

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.