The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Shootout Between 4 Noodler's Black Inks

noodlers black shootout comparison x-feather heart of darkness borealis black bulletproof black

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lsignore

lsignore

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 20:41

Here is my comparison of 4 Noodler's Inks: Bulletproof Black, Heart of Darkness, Borealis Black, and X-Feather. I used 2 pens, a Parker 21 and a Pilot Metropolitan. The comparison was done on 3 different papers. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Album in link below.

http://imgur.com/a/jcnWa

Edited by lsignore, 15 February 2014 - 20:44.

Sponsored Content

#2 thesunshine

thesunshine

Aspiring Something-or-other

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 21:49

Interesting! I've been using Bulletproof Black as my regular ink, but perhaps I should try out Heart of Darkness some time, given it seems to dry so much faster...

Also, great first post! Very helpful.  :W2FPN:

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

#3 DrPhilth

DrPhilth

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2014 - 23:43

Love noodlers Bulletproof Black. Heart of Darkness, not so much. Feathers waaay too much for me. And on better papers, it makes my pens line about a half a size thicker. 

#4 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 17:50

It was postive reviews like this for Heart of Darkness that led me to purchase it. But like Dr. Philth, I found it feathered way too much to be used on over half my paper/journals/notebooks.

Still waiting to see if there is a pen that it works better in, of if I can figure out the dilution ratio that works the best. I might have gotten a bad batch but I won't be trying another to find out. More than happy enough with Noodler's Black.

#5 DrPhilth

DrPhilth

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 21:13

It was postive reviews like this for Heart of Darkness that led me to purchase it. But like Dr. Philth, I found it feathered way too much to be used on over half my paper/journals/notebooks.

Still waiting to see if there is a pen that it works better in, of if I can figure out the dilution ratio that works the best. I might have gotten a bad batch but I won't be trying another to find out. More than happy enough with Noodler's Black.

Just got some Old Manhattan Black from FPH. Great ink. VERY BLACK. But I still think Noodlers standard black is the best. Nothing I've gotten so far beats the standard blacks performance.

#6 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 21:37

Just got some Old Manhattan Black from FPH. Great ink. VERY BLACK. But I still think Noodlers standard black is the best. Nothing I've gotten so far beats the standard blacks performance.

My experience, too. The other black are more specialized, but the best overall/general performance is the basic black (in the Noodler's range).

Greetings,
Michael

#7 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2014 - 22:48

For me, Noodler's Black and HOD are a matched pair of inks. I use the former in wetter nibs and HOD in drier nibs.

I also find that Noodler's Black in a fine nib (i.e. Platinum Preppy 0.3) is ideal for those notebooks that will bleed and feather with any other ink.

As well, it makes an excellent ink for use with dip pens.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#8 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 14:13

When I first bought a bottle of X-Feather it seemed to feather more than the other black inks I had been using, so it went to the back of the shelf.  Lately I have been doing paper tests of feathering and bleed through so I dug out the X-Feather and it performed quite well in an XXF Sheaffer, though in that pen it came out medium grey.  On some papers, that combo was the only thing that worked.  The second best ink in my tests was a surprise: Slovenian Sheaffer Red.  It may even have been first, as I used it is a wider nib.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, black, shootout, comparison, x-feather, heart of darkness, borealis black, bulletproof black

Sponsored Content

|