The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Smell Of Iron Gall Inks?

iron gall

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 requiescat

requiescat

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:11

Perhaps slightly odd question but I once tried some Rohrer & Klingner Salix, which I understand to be an iron gall ink, and it had this interesting almost syrupy undertone to the smell.  (Not unpleasant; I rather liked it.  Just distinctive.)  I think I still also have a sample of Scabiosa around here that I can sniff.  But I wanted to ask, is this syrupy smell my imagination?  Do other iron gall inks have it, or something like it?

I ask because I am writing a story and it would be extremely convenient to have a sweet-smelling ink without resorting to perfume.  I would normally leap upon the opportunity to order ink samples, but quite honestly this winter has made me paranoid about doing so until it warms up some more.  (I'm in Louisiana, but my kid had *snow days*.  Eep!)  Otherwise, any pointers to inks with such olfactory qualities would be welcome.  :D

(The things that sf/f writers research...)

Sponsored Content

#2 Cerbervs

Cerbervs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:29

My Daimine registrars smells caustic.

#3 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:39

Do you mean how it smells in the bottle or how it smells as it dries?  IME, Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrar's Ink and Hero 232 Blue Black have a similar smell as they dry on the page. It is subtle enough, but I occasionally catch a whiff of it.  When smelling the bottle they are quite different, however.  ESSRI smells faintly of phenol, and Hero 232 smells like soap.  I guess the smell in the bottle has to do with the ingredients, and the smell as it dries has to do with the chemical reaction that is taking place.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#4 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:46

I don't know that I would call the smell of my Salix "syrupy" but it definitely has a smell...  But I don't find it that noticeable once it's in my pen and I'm writing with it.  At that point I'm too distracted by the beautiful shading.  :-)

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

#5 requiescat

requiescat

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 831 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:52

Interesting, thanks all!  Maybe I should just leave it as an unspecified type of ink and let the reader figure it out.  :)

#6 Striated

Striated

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:50

Fellow member The Good Captain wrote this in another thread.

I note with some anticipation that R&K Salix and Scabiosa have an aroma of a slightly 'corked' or 'off' claret or port. Wonderful! 

I agree with him on both counts.    

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

#7 requiescat

requiescat

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 831 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:58

Fellow member The Good Captain wrote this in another thread.

I agree with him on both counts.    

I will Google the smell of claret/port.  (I have to take meds that mean I can't drink alcohol, so I am pretty clueless about types of alcohol and their tastes/smells.)  Thank you!

#8 athenian

athenian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 20:10

The smell of blood.

#9 Chemist

Chemist

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2014 - 23:13

In my opinion, Diamine Registrar's has an excellent smell. It smells of vintage, old-fashioned goodness, which I guess is what it is. I see what you mean about Salix, but I wouldn't call it syrupy as such. It's certainly sweet though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iron gall

Sponsored Content

|